Sea of Stars (by the creators of The Messenger)

Animal House

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Played the demo for a bit last night. Game is dope as hell, definitely the closest thing to chrono trigger I’ve played since

They’re setting it up for failure with that release date though. I hope they got paid well from sony and microsoft
That why its basically free on PlayStation and Xbox they knew not a lot of people are going to buy this around launch :mjlol:

Smart move by the devs though, take that upfront money and hope for the best

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
That why its basically free on PlayStation and Xbox they knew not a lot of people are going to buy this around launch :mjlol:

Smart move by the devs though, take that upfront money and hope for the best
Pretty sure neither wanted to lose not having the game available on their service day 1.

This game basically has tangible numbers to show how much engagement it'll bring.

Whatever every side was offering wasn't enough for sabotage to go exclusive in any form.

Although I do think it probably started with them considering taking a exclusive deal.

Instead it's the 1st game I can think of that is a day and date release on PlayStation and Xbox for "free"

Pretty impressive feat for a Indie

Doomsday

Superstar
Daps
No grinding? :whoo:
:mjlol:I already know the game is going to be a classic, I just hate how these new developers are making clones but taking away the essence of what made those games great. One turn wiping the enemy after grinding your characters is a very satisfying formula that made those old school RPG's great and it's annoying to see these new guys making a CLONE but then going away from that.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
:mjlol:I already know the game is going to be a classic, I just hate how these new developers are making clones but taking away the essence of what made those games great. One turn wiping the enemy after grinding your characters is a very satisfying formula that made those old school RPG's great and it's annoying to see these new guys making a CLONE but then going away from that.

As long as it doesn’t have level-scaling, the absolute woat gameplay mechanic

Animal House

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This

I’m :flabbynsick: so I never had an issue grinding whether it’s for money, skills or exp just don’t make it excessive and I’m good. I really enjoyed how Octopath 2 did it, I think a happy balance is Persona 5 though. Like you could grind but it wasn’t necessary in a way.

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
Imo, it depends on what you mean by grinding. I differentiate grinding from training. Grinding to me is when you have a Pokémon level 50 and the only way to make it go to level 51 is by fighting a 1000 wild Pkmn on road 49 and literally seeing the exp bar stuck because you get so little of it after an encounter. I ABHOR that in RPG, I DETEST it in MMORPGs, I just HATE it. I feel no joy beating anybody in a game that makes me feel like Sisyphus.

Training to me is when your squad gets wiped out by an enemy, so you get out there, do a couple of fights, get your levels up and come back with much more of a chance.

So the process of getting exp altogether has to be balanced. I don't know towards which side Chrono Trigger tilted, never played it, but I'd rather have a game with no need for training (as long as the difficulty is there) than with grinding.

Doomsday

Superstar
Daps
Imo, it depends on what you mean by grinding.

Training to me is when your squad gets wiped out by an enemy, so you get out there, do a couple of fights, get your levels up and come back with much more of a chance.
:mjlol:There's no point in side missions and easter eggs (which every RPG has now) when the enemy scales to your level. We all like Goku because he's the strongest, period. All he has to do is get to that level depending on the opponent, and it's only a matter of time. DBZ would be a trash show if Goku never overpowered his enemies.

Hell, I would argue there's no point in a battle system at all when you follow the Chained Echos formula. If all I get is AP to buy abilities that don't necessarily make me stronger, and my party doesn't get stronger per battle, what's the point in fighting? If anything, that's makes fighting way more tedious than grinding. I hated battles in Chained Echos, but I loved it in Chrono Trigger.

Also in your example, there are other Pokemon you can fight that will give you more experience. You can even go online to fight other humans who have Pokemon at your level and level up that way. There's never been any point in my playing of Pokemon where I felt like I couldn't progress without fighting 1000 enemies.

CopiousX

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Imo, it depends on what you mean by grinding. I differentiate grinding from training. Grinding to me is when you have a Pokémon level 50 and the only way to make it go to level 51 is by fighting a 1000 wild Pkmn on road 49 and literally seeing the exp bar stuck because you get so little of it after an encounter. I ABHOR that in RPG, I DETEST it in MMORPGs, I just HATE it. I feel no joy beating anybody in a game that makes me feel like Sisyphus.
Grinding is a crucial element to rpg(s). It adds more realism. Reminds me of life .

Also, most games have one single, time -consuming big boss that you can use to get your level up . However, you pretty much have to play a perfect , and extremely nerve racking battle to beat him if you forgo grinding. Im reminded of the heart attacks i got playing neo 2 and bloodborne when i opted to take a shortcut and i spent one hour of my life slowly chipping away at a boss' HP, just to get one-hit killed by that same Boss when his HP got to 0.01%.:wow:

but I'd rather have a game with no need for training (as long as the difficulty is there) than with grinding.
No offense breh, but What you are describing here reminds me of a disney movie:skip:

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
:mjlol:There's no point in side missions and easter eggs (which every RPG has now) when the enemy scales to your level. We all like Goku because he's the strongest, period. All he has to do is get to that level depending on the opponent, and it's only a matter of time. DBZ would be a trash show if Goku never overpowered his enemies.

Hell, I would argue there's no point in a battle system at all when you follow the Chained Echos formula. If all I get is AP to buy abilities that don't necessarily make me stronger, and my party doesn't get stronger per battle, what's the point in fighting? If anything, that's makes fighting way more tedious than grinding. I hated battles in Chained Echos, but I loved it in Chrono Trigger.

Also in your example, there are other Pokemon you can fight that will give you more experience. You can even go online to fight other humans who have Pokemon at your level and level up that way. There's never been any point in my playing of Pokemon where I felt like I couldn't progress without fighting 1000 enemies.
I'm not sure what your points are or how your post relates to mine, tbh. Respectfully.

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
Grinding is a crucial element to rpg(s). It adds more realism. Reminds me of life .

Also, most games have one single, time -consuming big boss that you can use to get your level up . However, you pretty much have to play a perfect , and extremely nerve racking battle to beat him if you forgo grinding. Im reminded of the heart attacks i got playing neo 2 and bloodborne when i opted to take a shortcut and i spent one hour of my life slowly chipping away at a boss' HP, just to get one-hit killed by that same Boss when his HP got to 0.01%.:wow:

No offense breh, but What you are describing here reminds me of a disney movie:skip:
Again, I'm not sure where the disagreement is given that I defined what I considered grinding in games and it seems that it is not what you consider grinding in games.

Your experience with Neo 2 and Bloodborne even fits the principle of what I was saying when I said that I prefer a difficult game rather than one that forces me to grind (according to my definition of grinding).

No offense taken at all, we're just chatting

rabbid

Superstar
Daps
All this back n forth is exactly why its not in the game :blessed: modern gamers stand up!