SCOTUS Watch Thread

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I hope you are right. I am just saying the court interprets but the executive enforces. If the executive is overzealous it could take years for SCOTUS to address if they agree to hear it at all.
Harvard gets about 1.2B in federal funding yearly, almost entirely for scientific research. Can I imagine a republican administration attempting to cut federal aid to universities that follow the SC ruling, which clearly states they can still consider race? I suppose, but you'd need congress to sign off on that.

I think the bigger danger here is on the state level, but thankfully most universities are in blue states. And even universities in red states have a clear incentive to want a diverse campus/student body. Especially in the south where the the sheer amount of black applications (via higher black populations in that region) will ensure we get in.

BigMoneyGrip

I'm Lamont's pops
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Straight from Flatbush
I think schools who want still want to have a diverse campus may try use a proxy measure. Something like your location or a zip-code. It won't be as effective, but it may be a way to still help unprivileged communities.

This is a massive win for Asians though. I've worked in big tech at very competitive jobs and noticed that 80-90%% of the people I worked with were Asian. I'm not exaggerating. There would be whole 40 person teams I was on, and 38 would be Asian, 1 would be white, and 1 would be black. Asians are so good at test taking. I've often wondered why this is, not being Asian myself. Why are they so good at test taking? It's either they are smarter than everybody else or their culture somehow values test taking skills more than other races.

I think a lot of white people are going to be surprised by the makeup of elite college campuses now that AA is gone. If standardized testing is the most important aspect of getting into college, Asians are going to dominate. So a lot of white people who think this only affects non-whites, are going to be in for a surprise.

Or they cheat on test just like they are some of the biggest thief’s around in regards to being shoplifters

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
How, when today's ruling explicitly states exactly how universities can continue to consider race in applications? Harvard already called the bluff:

Can I imagine a DeSantis type attempting to punish universities for using this clear loophole? Sure. But considering that most noteworthy things DeSantis has done have been slapped down by courts for violating the law, I'm not particularly worried about him or others having legal standing to outright disobey a Supreme Court ruling.

(Ironically earlier today, his big "don't let Chinese people purchase land in Florida" bill was shot down by the courts for violating the constitution)

You're overly hopeful here. This shyt works at a college administration completely dedicated to getting more Black students in at every level. But colleges/universities that were only doing it half-heartedly are going to stop. Even at left-wing schools, all you need is someone to cause an issue at one part in the hierarchy (the president, the head of admissions, the admissions officers themselves), and the black students won't get in.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
im curious as to whether its really a bad thing at lower ranked colleges

havent we just spent the past few years realizing and talking about how much mid-level college sucks? is putting these kids into mountains of debt that doesnt pay off? that more kids should be saying 'fukk college' and getting into these high demand, increasingly high paying trade jobs?

those facts didnt change sometime this morning :dead:

This doesn't make any sense because many of the biggest debts are being racked up at the worst schools.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
it absolutely makes sense. but i get that this isnt the moment to address it

Breh, you're just pulling shyt out of your ass to make an argument. If you have ANY data whatsoever that affirmative action admits are paying more than they would have in the next tier down, or that the black students in places that allow affirmative action admits are more in debt than the black students in places where they ban it, I'd like to see that.

The Ivy League school I got admitted to gave me a better financial aid package than any other school I got into. Full ride with zero loans or work study. The largest sources of debt are lower level schools that don't offer superior financial aid products, or for-profit schools that are just looking to fukk their students over. Black applicants will continue to get into those schools and rack up those debts just fine, that's part of our system.

hashmander

Hale End
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Arsenal
it absolutely makes sense. but i get that this isnt the moment to address it
you don't know what you're talking about so shut the fukk and get the fukk up out this thread because i'm tired of your shyt and this ain't the place right now. i don't know why they keep letting you back in here to to post your cac edgelord bullshyt all the time. the better schools are the cheapest to attend because they give more aid. a kid from a middle class family can attend the elite schools for free. getting into harvard is the hard part for a poor kid, not paying for it.

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
America is finished

WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court on Friday ruled in favor of an evangelical Christian web designer from Colorado who refuses to work on same-sex weddings.

The justices, divided 6-3, said that Lorie Smith, as a creative professional, has a free speech right under the Constitution’s First Amendment to refuse to endorse messages she disagrees with. As a result, she cannot be punished under Colorado’s antidiscrimination law for refusing to design websites for gay couples, the court said

The ruling could allow other similar business owners to evade punishment under laws in 29 states that protect LGBTQ rights in public accommodations in some form. The remaining 21 states do not have laws explicitly protecting LGBTQ rights in public accommodations, although some local municipalities do.

"The First Amendment envisions the United States as a rich and complex place, where all persons are free to think and speak as they wish, not as the government demands," Justice Neil Gorsuch wrote for the court.

Smith, who opposes same-sex marriage on religious grounds and runs a business designing websites, sued the state in 2016 because she said she would like to accept customers planning opposite-sex weddings but reject requests made by same-sex couples wanting the same service. She argued that as a creative professional she has a free speech right to refuse to undertake work that conflicts with her views.

Civil rights groups said Smith was asking the conservative-majority court for a “license to discriminate” that would gut public accommodation laws that require businesses to serve all customers.

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
I guess they want to make it harder for black people to compete, I still don’t see how black people is getting preferred treatment over other people, like how do you even quantify if black people have a unfair advantage being selected at these colleges