ScHoolboy Q - CrasH Talk (Discussion Thread)

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Haven't listened since my first listen. Will peep again this weekend but man. This shyt just turned me off. Legit bummed seeing breh go out like this. And like I said earlier...we won't get another album for another 3 years. At which point it's gonna be even more of a wrap.

Q's hype after GKMC was crazy. We all thought we were gonna get a classic. I remember Mac Miller saying Oxymoron was better than GKMC. Then it came out and was mid. Don't get me wrong: it was the right album for his career, had multiple hits, and built his career. Waiting so long to follow it up, and doing so few guest appearances or making any attempt to remain in the public's eye, really started the decline IMO. To the point that even Blankface, which was dope af and the album I truly wanted, couldn't save him. Now here we are with this wack attempt to appeal to the masses.

:francis:

areohbee824

Superstar
Daps
Some of the tracks grew on me a little bit but overall this isn't touching any of his previous work, not even close either. I would maybe understand more if this dropped like 7-8 months after Blankface LP but:francis:

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Been listening to older Q albums since this was so lame.

fukking slaps

real talk, how do people find out about videos...i had no clue this song had a video. the music video is such a weird thing at this point, i much prefer the way it was and role they played in the 80's-00's :old:

EBK String

Better Ring String
Supporter
Daps
This is album the fukk are you nikkas talking about? lies is the only trash song. This is straight gangsta rap what you expect from Q?

:gucci:

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Haven't listened since my first listen. Will peep again this weekend but man. This shyt just turned me off. Legit bummed seeing breh go out like this. And like I said earlier...we won't get another album for another 3 years. At which point it's gonna be even more of a wrap.

Q's hype after GKMC was crazy. We all thought we were gonna get a classic. I remember Mac Miller saying Oxymoron was better than GKMC. Then it came out and was mid. Don't get me wrong: it was the right album for his career, had multiple hits, and built his career. Waiting so long to follow it up, and doing so few guest appearances or making any attempt to remain in the public's eye, really started the decline IMO. To the point that even Blankface, which was dope af and the album I truly wanted, couldn't save him. Now here we are with this wack attempt to appeal to the masses.

:francis:
Yeah I saw Kendrick, Q, Ab, and Jay Rock after GKMC dropped. Q's set was right before Kendrick's and he was talking in between songs about how dope it was turning out.

Oxymoron seems like a divisive album. To me it's clearly behind Blank Face and Habits, and I'm guessing it is for you too. A lot of people really really love that album though, and have it at the #1 or #2 spot for Q. The high points are very fukking good and I was actually meaning to listen to it all the way through again this weekend.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
real talk, how do people find out about videos...i had no clue this song had a video. the music video is such a weird thing at this point, i much prefer the way it was and role they played in the 80's-00's :old:
I think you gotta follow accounts on social media. If not the artist at least some hip-hops sources. Basically what the blogs were in the late 00's/early 10's have turned into social media feeds for album announcements, video drops, mixtape releases, etc.

If you already knew that I apologize. I'm taking you at face value.

I agree that videos are strange in this day and age and I also prefer the role they used to play. I almost never see a video and like a song more because of it. One thing I do have to say positive though is I think now that more hip-hop is indie I think there's more room for creative videos now days than there was when there was a formula to guarantee that every video was a hit.

Medio

All Star
Daps
Reppin
New York
Before listening I said this is my last chance with Q. His albums are just always average. And yea, he fooled me again ... I don’t know man, he has real good tracks here and there but his team gotta put that shyt together better. This shyt sounds mad forced to the masses in some tracks.. chopstix as a hook is so corny, and so is that water shyt.