SBNation: Meet the Bag Man of the $EC

dtownreppin214

l'immortale
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Shags & Leathers
Good read.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/4/10/5594348/college-football-bag-man-interview

The Bag Man excuses himself to make a call outside, on his "other phone," to arrange delivery of $500 in cash to a visiting recruit. The player is rated No. 1 at his position nationally and on his way into town. We're sitting in a popular restaurant near campus almost a week before National Signing Day, talking about how to arrange cash payments for amateur athletes.

"Nah, there's no way we're landing him, but you still have to do it," he says. "It looks good. It's good for down the road. Same reason my wife reads Yelp. These kids talk to each other. It's a waste of money, but they're doing the same thing to our guys right now in [rival school's town]. Cost of business."

Technically, this conversation never happened, because I won't reveal this man's name or the player's, or even the town I visited. Accordingly, all the other conversations I had with different bag men representing different SEC programs over a two-month span surrounding National Signing Day didn't happen either.

The most common non-cash gifts to recruits are cars. In every major city inside the Southeastern Conference's footprint is a tangle of auto dealerships with varying ties to particular schools.

"There are jokes about kids getting cars, but that's actually pretty easy. We all have dealerships all over. You practically have to nowadays, anyway, just for the coaches. Think about it. Most schools, all the football, basketball, and baseball coaches and their wives are getting some kind of vehicle for free as part of their contract. Then they're turning them in every three years or so. That's a fleet right there. You need a lot of guys with dealerships, and you need them in different towns. Then getting a clean title on a member of the family is pretty easy."

Whatever the minimum of necessary paperwork to absolve a player of improper benefits received is, it's not a problem. A title for a moderately priced SUV can be created in a relative's name, as can a receipt of sale for a reasonable price.

"Hey, how'd he get that ride? His uncle bought it. How did his uncle buy it? Paid cash. Paid cash, how'd he do that? shyt, we don't know, but here's the receipt where he paid cash, and now y'all ain't got shyt. Go tell the NCAA you think we're cheating because this kid's uncle bought him a used Tahoe in cash, you racist."

Last edited:

BigSteve

All Star
Daps
He was on the radio and said that he conducted his interviews at three different schools with big boosters.

I'm going with: Mississippi State, Ole Miss, and Auburn

dtownreppin214

l'immortale
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Shags & Leathers
He was on the radio and said that he conducted his interviews at three different schools with big boosters.

I'm going with: Mississippi State, Ole Miss, and Auburn
I'm skeptical of any team that turns up recruiting out of nowhere like Ole Miss. I don't think he interviewed A&M, but knowing their history of cheating and their recent recruiting success, no doubt in my mind they're paying players.

TheNig

Dr.TheNig DDS
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brolic... Alcoholics
I'm skeptical of any team that turns up recruiting out of nowhere like Ole Miss. I don't think he interviewed A&M, but knowing their history of cheating and their recent recruiting success, no doubt in my mind they're paying players.

:ohhh:

I was thinking Florida, Alabama, and Auburn. But I could see College Station being dirty.

BigSteve

All Star
Daps

:ohhh:

I was thinking Florida, Alabama, and Auburn. But I could see College Station being dirty.

You don't think Mississippi State and Ole Miss are battling for recruits?

The guy who wrote the article came up in Mississippi and has tons of ties in the state. He also mentioned several times that they were in small college towns with bitter in-state rivals. The Mississippi schools are going to do whatever it takes to get players there.

BigSteve

All Star
Daps
Nah not Florida. Muschamp wouldn't play that shyt.
I don't think that this article was talking about UF, UGA, UT, Bama, LSU, Vandy, UK, or South Carolina.

Do I think it happens at those schools? Undoubtedly. It happens EVERYWHERE. The article itself isn't talking about those schools though, in my opinion.

I could see Ole Miss, Auburn, Mississippi State, maybe Arkansas, MAYBE A&M, but like you I don't think it's TAMU.

This guy has been working in SEC sports media for a few years, he has his closest ties in MS. Also, he probably doesn't know enough people in TAMU or Mizzou yet to have that kind of access or connection.

BigSteve

All Star
Daps
No naming of names :camby:
That wasn't the point of the piece.

It was to fill the common fan in on the goings on behind the scenes at your favorite program. You could really fill in any school's name for these redacted facts. You get the general idea, they're cheating and they found a way around the system. They don't respect the rules of recruiting, and they're invented their own world for recruiting where EVERYTHING can be bought or paid for.

it happens everywhere, just fill in the blanks with your favorite school or most bitter rival. Now you know how they do it.

L&HH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
PG x MD

Aren't they all paying. Seriously in 2014 what big name school with any kind of success isn't paying

dtownreppin214

l'immortale
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Shags & Leathers

It was to fill the common fan in on the goings on behind the scenes at your favorite program. You could really fill in any school's name for these redacted facts. You get the general idea, they're cheating and they found a way around the system. They don't respect the rules of recruiting, and they're invented their own world for recruiting where EVERYTHING can be bought or paid for.

it happens everywhere, just fill in the blanks with your favorite school or most bitter rival. Now you know how they do it.

Aren't they all paying. Seriously in 2014 what big name school with any kind of success isn't paying

It doesn't happen at Texas. This is mainly a southeast issue.

The ADD

Old Master
Daps

:upsetfavre:

L&HH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
PG x MD
I've paid to put a single mother through rehab. It was the recruit's older sister. He's playing ball and mama's raising two grandchildren, his sister's kids. Mama's tired and doesn't want to raise another set of kids. So we make the calls and arrange for the daughter to go to rehab, then set her up with a job when she's done. Fast track her to a job at a private business, nothing suspicious. Now mama can enjoy her son playing and the daughter is back on her feet. And when it came time to sign, we made sure she saw something [cash], but I promise you that meant more than just money."

shyt like this is why I have no problem with what goes on. If you being able to run fast and jump high can get your family taken care of and you don't even have to play in the NFL :obama: