#SayHerName: Families and Social Media Rally for Justice in the Police Killings of Black Women

ReallJc

Pro
Daps
Reppin
LDN
CFjUoL2UIAABMw_.jpg

A rally was held in New York City to recognize black women killed by law-enforcement officials.

CFjAUkFUgAElFmK.jpg

Over the last several months, the social media and activists have made it clear that #BlackLivesMatter. The movement has grown worldwide, but often missing from the dynamic is the talk about black women who have been killed at the hands of police.

According to a new report, “Say Her Name: Resisting Police Brutality Against Black Women,” by the African American Policy Forum and the Center for Intersectionality & Social Policy Studies at Columbia University, the number of cases involving black women assaulted or killed by law-enforcement officers has increased.

“Although Black women are routinely killed, raped and beaten by the police, their experiences are rarely foregrounded in popular understandings of police brutality,” said Kimberle Williams Crenshaw, director of the AAPF and co-author of the report, in a statement. “Yet, inclusion of Black women’s experiences in social movements, media narratives and policy demands around policing and police brutality is critical to effectively combating racialized state violence for Black communities and other communities of color.”

CFdvf6-WAAAi8lb.jpg

On Wednesday a rally was held in New York City to bring to light the names of the black women who have lost their lives because of police officers. Families of women, like Rekia Boyd, who were killed by police were in attendance. And the call for action continues online with the hashtag #SayHerName, which highlights the issues faced by black women and their encounters with law enforcement.

CFiIAO9WAAA5KNa.jpg

Any society that so routinely steals the lives of our beautiful sisters and brothers, disrespects their families, and refuses to render justice is a society crying out for REVOLUTION.

Daps
Reppin
Midwest/East Coast/Tx (Now in Canada)
They're damn near a protected class in comparison. This march is a distraction and you should look from the outside to see what I mean. It has nothing to do with anything, there aren't rashes of black female police shootings, and it's such a rare situation that the #wacklivesmatter movement lumps in transsexuals and gay men with black women to pad the stats.

CinnaSlim

Queen of Swords
Daps
Reppin
East of Anywhere
@ODOT META the movement is Black Lives Matter, why get mad if they are speaking up for BW. Why get mad if they are speaking up for homosexuals? If they are black aren't they apart of the movement?
or should it be Black Men's Lives Matter.

I think you are being nitpicky. It's an extension, not a distraction.

Daps
Reppin
because it has zero to do with black women and everything to do with Alicia Garza, Deray, and those other two individuals flying out to different cities and/or emailing people to make sure they contact city officials first to get mic space and the ability to out maneuver individuals FROM the true grassroots movements and communities. Both genders do this but it's mainly gay black men and women.
You're very confused right now and you should look some things up.

CinnaSlim

Queen of Swords
Daps
Reppin
East of Anywhere
because it has zero to do with black women and everything to do with Alicia Garza, Deray, and those other two individuals flying out to different cities and/or emailing people to make sure they contact city officials first to get mic space and the ability to out maneuver individuals FROM the true grassroots movements and communities. Both genders do this but it's mainly gay black men and women.
You're very confused right now and you should look some things up.
I'm not confused at all. I'm trying to understand your point, while not making assumptions.

I was gonna ask follow up questions but your attitude makes the effort to have a discussion with you seem not worth the time.

Daps
Reppin
I'm not confused at all. I'm trying to understand your point, while not making assumptions.

I was gonna ask follow up questions but your attitude makes the effort to have a discussion with you seem not worth the time.
I didn't know you could read emotions via text but okay. I've been doing a lot of research. Over a period of 15-20 years. My aunt was involved in community organization in my hometown, still is but to a lesser extent. I was on the fringes but now I'm taking a bit more of an active part. I do my research via reading, observation, and attendance. I see patterns, I share the patterns I see. If you'd like references I can gather a few for you to research after I'm finished reading this book.