Santa Monica, California decline

Rakim Allah

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles

School me on what's going on in Cali. Seems like a lot of people have left and many cities are in decline. I want to know what I should expect in my hood since our gov has similar policies.

As usual, cac supremacists blaming Black culture in the comments while ignoring that white on white crime has skyrocketed the last 5 years. But Black Boogieman Propaganda and fear mongering helps momentarily keep these cacs from dialing 1-800-SUICIDE, friends.

num123

Speak like a child
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area/Chicago
Yea a significant percentage of them are seriously mentally ill. Getting the mentally ill into facilities would make a significant dent in the problem
Very true, but a lot of the issues are coming from pushback in the cities and counties. They want the people off the street but do not want to pay for it, or have facilities near them.

num123

Speak like a child
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area/Chicago
Same way I feel about the bay. I don’t get how California brags about being the #7 economy in the world and this is what it has turned into in its 3 biggest metro areas - plus the soaring COL to live amongst this shyt. This is exactly why I say Newsom has no shot as a national candidate, no one wants to be like California right now
But that is unfair to put a decades-long problem on one person. Mental health services were underfunded before he got into office, not being able to involuntary commit people is not his fault.

How can he be blamed for shyt like this:

Or shyt like this:

An estimated 171,000 people are homeless in California, a number that has grown despite massive investment by the state. Newsom, a former mayor of San Francisco who was elected governor in 2018, has made homelessness and housing twin priorities of his administration, including a novel plan to purchase and convert motels into housing for homeless people.

Under his watch, California has cracked down on local governments that refuse to plan for and build more housing as required by state law. Details were thin Thursday, but Newsom said a housing accountability unit within the California Department of Housing and Community Development will now tackle homelessness spending.

There is way more i can link but i will not. Newsom did not create this issue, CA was not some paradise before he came in so to put this problem solely on him is ridiculous. This issue has been a combination of many factors over decades that can not be blamed on one person.

Bboystyle

Bang Bang Packers gang!
Daps
Reppin
So. Cal
I live here in SM.

It’s a legit shyt show.

No lie, three days last week I walked past human shyt near the promenade downtown. I have been followed and harassed crossing the street by homeless and mentally ill.

Mad buildings are for sale and for lease. And FYI, my rent is going up next month… :scusthov: :damn:
is 3rd street still popping? I haven't been there since early 00's.

Damn this sucks about hearing what happened to SM. We planning a family trip to Universal Studios for my son's B-day and wanted to hit up the beach as well. SM was on the list but I think i might tell wifey we heading to Newport instead

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
More and more the mask is peeling back from Graham Stephan. He's always been Sus, especially when you hear his backstory...

Both Sider (closet Trumper) The Breakdown of society = fault of the liberal government

Meanwhile it was Ronald Reagan that closed the Mental Institutions AROUND THE COUNTRY.

Same Ronald Reagan that signed gun control laws when the Black Panthers were exercising their political rights.

And do we need to talk about is War on Drugs and the ensuing drug market?....

I'm gonna break your ankle, but you still gotta win the race....

Rakim Allah

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
More and more the mask is peeling back from Graham Stephan. He's always been Sus, especially when you hear his backstory...

Both Sider (closet Trumper) The Breakdown of society = fault of the liberal government

Meanwhile it was Ronald Reagan that closed the Mental Institutions AROUND THE COUNTRY.

Same Ronald Reagan that signed gun control laws when the Black Panthers were exercising their political rights.

And do we need to talk about is War on Drugs and the ensuing drug market?....

I'm gonna break your ankle, but you still gotta win the race....
I concur with everything you typed except that unwarranted misguided shot at #BothSides. We are the only ones calling out both sides. Hence the name, friend.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
But that is unfair to put a decades-long problem on one person. Mental health services were underfunded before he got into office, not being able to involuntary commit people is not his fault.

How can he be blamed for shyt like this:

Or shyt like this:

There is way more i can link but i will not. Newsom did not create this issue, CA was not some paradise before he came in so to put this problem solely on him is ridiculous. This issue has been a combination of many factors over decades that can not be blamed on one person.
Bro, Newsom rolled over for tech companies to come to SF - skyrocketed the col, he rolls over for cpuc - skyrocketing utility costs, he has implemented taxes we can’t see any benefits from. No he’s not single-handedly accountable for the homeless issue but he hasn’t had any policies to help make it better and has directly contributed to a higher col here which for many leads to a lower QOL.

Secondly, running nationally means he is the face of what California and California politics are to the rest of the country, and most of the country doesn’t look to CA as a government regime they want nationwide

Adeptus Astartes

Loyal servant of the God-Brehmperor
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Imperium of Man
fukk this guy, he’s the one who truly ushered in gentrification, displacement, and a bunch of :mjpls: approaches to entertainment and nightlife in Oakland. He started the dismantling of the black community here, now the only blacks left are mainly the hood, our middle class is gone
He brought in high paying jobs and brought back downtown. If Bars, restaurants, art festivals, movie theaters, and concert venues like the Fox Theater are :mjpls:, so be it. Before him, downtown shut down at 6pm. If you didn't take advantage of the opportunities that's on you, respectfully. I knew plenty of Black folk who came up off of his initiatives.

Look at downtown now. Nothing but boarded up shops and pandering murals. Libby Schaaf ran the town into the ground and Sheng Thao is dancing on its corpse.

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
The more I watch this, him basically trying to low key blame "liberal policies" without saying so much (YT much like the rest of the country, leans left, is pro-people) - is that all of these "businesses" - his class of people - are moving because they can't afford the commercial rent.

What business is was he in? Before he cashed in on internet celebrity, he was real estate agent, and then a landlord and house flipper.

Cued up @ 8:28

He's talking about how the Landlord doubled the rent -

Not the City.
Not the State.
Not the Fed.

The Landlord.
(possibly a massive corporate, but probably a local guy like this man)

Earlier he talks about the restaurant facing 60K monthly - again, that's not the city asking that type of rent - it the land lord.

"Forced to keep their rents high (and the places empty), to keep their value"

Somehow 40% of the strips buildings being vacant don't bring down property values, but occupied buildings with lower rent do?

Make it make sense.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
He brought in high paying jobs and brought back downtown. If Bars, restaurants, art festivals, movie theaters, and concert venues like the Fox Theater are :mjpls:, so be it. Before him, downtown shut down at 6pm. If you didn't take advantage of the opportunities that's on you, respectfully. I knew plenty of Black folk who came up off of his initiatives.

Look at downtown now. Nothing but boarded up shops and pandering murals. Libby Schaaf ran the town into the ground and Sheng Thao is dancing on its corpse.
Libby didn’t run it into the ground, it was on that trajectory as that (JB’s) gentrification is exactly what kicked off the increase in homelessness, way before Libby. And Oakland only truly thrived because of the spillover from SF, it’s not coincidental that once people and businesses started leaving SF, Oakland saw a ton of boarded up businesses and vacant apartments as well.

And that’s nice you have anecdotal experience with people who “came up”. My neighborhood tells a different story as do the declines in the black population. We didn’t benefit from the rapid gentrification that happened from 08-18

Last edited: