Saltburn - Movie (Starring Jacob Elodi/Directed by Emerald Fennell)/Trailer

Ribbs

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
I gave Fennell some leeway after Promising Young Women because the movie was great until the end, which felt like a studio suggestion instead of the real thing.

I was wrong. She might be a poor man's Yorgos Lanthimos. Or a less artful Luca Guadagnino. This movie was not good.
Streets saying she's the female Sam Levinson.

I half listened to The Big Picture talk about it, they didn't like it. Half the people I follow on Letterboxd gave it poor reviews. I might give it a watch but I'm in no rush to see it.

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Majorly flawed, esp. tonally, and the exposition at the end, the last 20 minutes or so was painful, and extremely heavy handed, on the nose,

but, also loved the style, the performances were all excellent, the set design, loved the direction, thought some of the writing as far as actual lines was very sharp, and funny.

The plotting was bad and the character development plus class themes were all over the place and mixed, but it was a fun watch, besides the last 20 or so.

To me, if it had been a straight up comedy/drama/coming of age, it would have been better. Something along the lines of Adventureland, with more sex. The best scenes were where the characters got to breathe, and just relax. All the sex and the violence, and the thriller parts dragged it down. They were not believable in the least, nor emotionally resonant, or half as clever as the movie thinks it is.

and the sex wasn't hot at all. I know someone will say that was the point! It was all manipulative! but compare the tension and cringe factor to like The Talented Mr. Ripley, the scene where Tom is wearing dudes clothes, you can barely watch that scene, it's so uncomfortable. Or the sex scenes in other movies, I'll think of later.

Last edited:

PoorAndDangerous

Superstar
Daps
It went a little too far at certain points but I enjoyed the ending, I'd give it a 7-7.5/10
Watched it last night, movie was good until the ending…just didn’t connect for me.
I like "apocalyptic" fukked up endings like that, the whole film was very surrealist after they got to saltburn. I can't really imagine it ending in any other manner

jericho

The North Remembers
Daps
Reppin
I found it entertaining :manny:

despite the bathtub scene :scust:

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
Yo, this was CRAZY. But also really beautifully shot. I do think the ending cheapened it a bit. It's like they didn't trust the audience to figure out what he'd done, so they spelled it out. But overall, I was definitely spellbound. I can't believe that graveyard scene was improvised. Barry is messed up! LOL. Oh, and did anyone catch the foreshadowing of the doppleganger scene with Felix's double passing through the window while they were telling that story. Creepy and brilliant. I think without the ending, I would have given this a 9, but the ending brought it down to an 8 for me.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
Watched it last night, movie was good until the ending…just didn’t connect for me.
That’s where I was with it. That twist makes it feel like an entirely different film. I was wondering if Emerald had her script hi-jacked by Sam Levinson at that point. I thought it should’ve ended:

During the scene where Keoghan’s character is straight up raw-dogging Felix’s grave. Was actually bracing to walk out to a credit roll during then, lol.

But nope, it kept on going…

and going…

I see the comps to Guadagnino’s work and I think Sandgren had a lot to do with that. It’s some of his best work. If it wasn’t for the way he shot it, then I’d disagree entirely on that. The story is too bonkers otherwise.

Last edited:

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
Streets saying she's the female Sam Levinson.

I half listened to The Big Picture talk about it, they didn't like it. Half the people I follow on Letterboxd gave it poor reviews. I might give it a watch but I'm in no rush to see it.
100%. At least that’s how it felt here. What she does in her directorial debut worked better for me. ‘Promising Young Woman’ kinda felt like diet Tarantino in a way and even goes off the rails just like this one, but I thought it did a better job wrapping things up. What happens at the end of ‘Saltburn’ is something that I’m sure you can catch on an episode of Riverdale. Straight out of a CW production.

On the other hand, I thought this was Elordi’s best performance yet. Better than the larger-than-life cartoon villain he portrays in ‘Euphoria’, and better than the abusive Elvis in ‘Priscilla’. This was my first time seeing dude play someone other than a douchebag for once and I can actually see the potential. Not saying he should win an Oscar or anything, but I can understand some of the hype he gets now.