Saigon - 777 Resurrection (Discussion Thread)

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
Dude was such a clown on Love & Hip-Hop that I haven't listened to him since.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
He didn't have the label backing him though. That was the problem. Atlantic fukked over so many artists, especially in the 2000s. One of the worst labels ever.

I don't think it was entirely down to them. Sai made mistakes himself and Just Blaze is no mogul. Great producer but he is not the person to guide anyone's career.

Sai really is just an example of bad timing. If he debuts 7 years earlier or 7 years later he could have a much better career. But he was stuck in the mid 2000s which for me is still the worst era of hip hop. The labels had all the control and were treating music like a factory assembly line. Sai comes through now and he could be on that Roc Marc/Ka/Griselda lane and be doing well.

So really bad timing, bad label and management and some dumb beefs fukked it all up.
I tried to rep but it said to slow down lol. This is all facts.

I was working with Little Brother when they were on Atlantic at the same time as Saigon. LB and Saigon were both sort of self-contained, and didn't need much from Atlantic. Combined with neither sounding like what was trendy, and lots of re-staffing inside Atlantic's Hip-Hop division, they didn't know what to do with either act. Little Brother got lucky and was able to drop Minstrel Show, and Saigon got unlucky.

If GSNT dropped when it was supposed to, it would've been a real gem and ahead of its time. There were a few sample clearance issues too. They had to remake The Invitation, Better Way, and a couple others.

Little Brother and Saigon were both stuck in that in-between era. I don't know if Atlantic said this to Saigon, but I remember they told Little Brother that they knew they had fans online, but ":jbhmm:if only there was some way to measure how many fans or followers you truly have online" that they'd be more confident getting behind the album.

They tried to link LB and Saigon. Saigon was supposed to be the last verse on the final track, but instead of rapping about how he had next (the topic of the song) his verse was about how gays spread AIDS and how he needed to be saved. :heh::dead:

Another fun trivia fact (@old boy you said to tag you). Alchemist gave the Say Yes beat to Saigon for 100 dollars when Saigon got out of prison for the Rawkus Records 12" single. They worked a lot after that, but for GSNT Saigon didn't reach out to Al to even listen to any beats for the album. Al was a little bit annoyed at it, but they patched it up by the time the album actually hit shelves.

EDIT: JUST BLAZE YOU PROMISED BACK ON SOHH YOU'D DROP THE ORIGINAL INVITATION AND YOU DIDN'T! :mjcry:

HiiiPower

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

I was working with Little Brother when they were on Atlantic at the same time as Saigon. LB and Saigon were both sort of self-contained, and didn't need much from Atlantic. Combined with neither sounding like what was trendy, and lots of re-staffing inside Atlantic's Hip-Hop division, they didn't know what to do with either act. Little Brother got lucky and was able to drop Minstrel Show, and Saigon got unlucky.

If GSNT dropped when it was supposed to, it would've been a real gem and ahead of its time. There were a few sample clearance issues too. They had to remake The Invitation, Better Way, and a couple others.

Little Brother and Saigon were both stuck in that in-between era. I don't know if Atlantic said this to Saigon, but I remember they told Little Brother that they knew they had fans online, but ":jbhmm:if only there was some way to measure how many fans or followers you truly have online" that they'd be more confident getting behind the album.

They tried to link LB and Saigon. Saigon was supposed to be the last verse on the final track, but instead of rapping about how he had next (the topic of the song) his verse was about how gays spread AIDS and how he needed to be saved. :heh::dead:

Another fun trivia fact (@old boy you said to tag you). Alchemist gave the Say Yes beat to Saigon for 100 dollars when Saigon got out of prison for the Rawkus Records 12" single. They worked a lot after that, but for GSNT Saigon didn't reach out to Al to even listen to any beats for the album. Al was a little bit annoyed at it, but they patched it up by the time the album actually hit shelves.

EDIT: JUST BLAZE YOU PROMISED BACK ON SOHH YOU'D DROP THE ORIGINAL INVITATION AND YOU DIDN'T! :mjcry:

I mean, he had Just doing the whole album and it was well known so not sure Alc shoulda been salty about that

I wasn’t on Sohh, but we definitley deserved that Invitation with the sample, it sounded fukking godlike in the GSNT snippets, the album one was nice, but sounded flat compared to the sample version

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK

This is some cool info. Thanks. LOL @ Saigon making a verse about gay people spreading AIDS instead of the topic. Sounds just like something he would do.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
I mean, he had Just doing the whole album and it was well known so not sure Alc shoulda been salty about that

I wasn’t on Sohh, but we definitley deserved that Invitation with the sample, it sounded fukking godlike in the GSNT snippets, the album one was nice, but sounded flat compared to the sample version
He wasn’t that salty. I just think slightly annoyed. I probably heard an overblown story.

Did Just do all of it? I thought Kanye did the joint with Marsha Ambrosious and I know Buckwild did the Oh Yeah/Babies joint.

But you’re right. It was known that Just was doing pretty much all of it.

HiiiPower

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He wasn’t that salty. I just think slightly annoyed. I probably heard an overblown story.

Did Just do all of it? I thought Kanye did the joint with Marsha Ambrosious and I know Buckwild did the Oh Yeah/Babies joint.

But you’re right. It was known that Just was doing pretty much all of it.
I think you’re right actually, but yeah Still heavily EP’d by Just

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
This is some cool info. Thanks. LOL @ Saigon making a verse about gay people spreading AIDS instead of the topic. Sounds just like something he would do.
I should’ve posted it lol. 9th Wonder took the verse and made it into a concept joint by using a Snoop sample and a new Joe Scudda verse. Sai’s verse here is dope, but it just sounded weird on that LB joint.

THE 101

House Painter
Daps

That Sai verse story :mjlol:

That kind of goofy shyt sums up his career....too ignorant for conscious rap, too smart for thug rap. Dude was stuck in a weird place as an artist and just did a lot of dumb shyt.

I always wonder about Just and Al's relationship..i assume they're cool but i'm pretty sure Just jacked The Grimey Way on Bleek's Everything's A Go. I think there might have been another Just beat that dropped not long after an Al joint that had a very similar flip.

But Jusy stayed doing that shyt around that time...PSA and Stay Real....Lyrical Exercise and that Mega joint...forget the name. I know the saying goes you can't own no loops but the shyt always seemed a litle fishy to me.