Saigon - 777 Resurrection (Discussion Thread)

HiiiPower

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This project has me listening back to Saigon projects from 10 years ago, Warning Shots, Welcome To Saigon, Moral of the Story, All in a Days Work..

It’s weird because as much as a fan as Saigon as I was/am, these projects haven’t been listened to in that long, shyts like stepping into a time machine

“May I, Say i, never affiliate myself with a gay guy?
Sorry Kanye, but I had homophobia since I was Ye high”

:mjlol: If Sai giddy was dropping these tapes in 2020 he would be out of here, and not in the good way lol

Last edited:

Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps
This is such a dope project. I’m surprised not because I don’t think Saigon is nice, it’s cause I haven’t listened to him in ages and impressed with him getting that type of production in 2020.

CAVEMAN

PyrexPyramid
Daps
Reppin
New Orleans/Bay
this track craaaaaaaazzzzy. Wow. I damn near forgot how hype I used to be bout Saigon in that Yardfather/Warning Shots era, but I be damed if this isn't even better rapping than that. Saigiddy still a beast

also shout out this dope ass underrated Saigon track featuring Big Daddy Kane & DJ Premier from a few years ago too

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
This is such a dope project. I’m surprised not because I don’t think Saigon is nice, it’s cause I haven’t listened to him in ages and impressed with him getting that type of production in 2020.
This the first project he’s dropped in at least 5-6 years I believe and he hasn’t lost a step lyrically

Cadillac

Veteran
Daps
the project is cool, its not really profound in the social commentary department hes just saying the usual shyt you can hear from other rappers like Killer mike, krit, etc

but the honesty and bluntness is a nice touch tho. lol nikka loose with the mouth in some parts and its kinda fun.

Yayo Toure

Mighty Man City
Supporter
Daps
I tried to rep but it said to slow down lol. This is all facts.

I was working with Little Brother when they were on Atlantic at the same time as Saigon. LB and Saigon were both sort of self-contained, and didn't need much from Atlantic. Combined with neither sounding like what was trendy, and lots of re-staffing inside Atlantic's Hip-Hop division, they didn't know what to do with either act. Little Brother got lucky and was able to drop Minstrel Show, and Saigon got unlucky.

If GSNT dropped when it was supposed to, it would've been a real gem and ahead of its time. There were a few sample clearance issues too. They had to remake The Invitation, Better Way, and a couple others.

Little Brother and Saigon were both stuck in that in-between era. I don't know if Atlantic said this to Saigon, but I remember they told Little Brother that they knew they had fans online, but ":jbhmm:if only there was some way to measure how many fans or followers you truly have online" that they'd be more confident getting behind the album.

They tried to link LB and Saigon. Saigon was supposed to be the last verse on the final track, but instead of rapping about how he had next (the topic of the song) his verse was about how gays spread AIDS and how he needed to be saved. :heh::dead:

Another fun trivia fact (@old boy you said to tag you). Alchemist gave the Say Yes beat to Saigon for 100 dollars when Saigon got out of prison for the Rawkus Records 12" single. They worked a lot after that, but for GSNT Saigon didn't reach out to Al to even listen to any beats for the album. Al was a little bit annoyed at it, but they patched it up by the time the album actually hit shelves.

EDIT: JUST BLAZE YOU PROMISED BACK ON SOHH YOU'D DROP THE ORIGINAL INVITATION AND YOU DIDN'T! :mjcry:

That Saigon verse sounds like the one that ended up on the 9th wonder album with Joe Scudda and an ill Joe Simon sample