Saigon - 777 Resurrection (Discussion Thread)

DaMos Supreme

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I bet Rosenberg was excited to hear this album and then was :mjcry: when he got dissed. Then he probably was :picard: when he thought it was over, and then :damn: got hammered again on the last verse.

The random shot at Pat Ewing :russ:

Yardfather and Warning Shots was my shyt back then.

I thought Sai was going to carve a nice path for himself, he was witty, conscious, introspective, street, and etc. But due to unfortunate circumstances and timing, he didn’t take off like he should.

Good to see him in a good space dropping music again.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I tried to rep but it said to slow down lol. This is all facts.

I was working with Little Brother when they were on Atlantic at the same time as Saigon. LB and Saigon were both sort of self-contained, and didn't need much from Atlantic. Combined with neither sounding like what was trendy, and lots of re-staffing inside Atlantic's Hip-Hop division, they didn't know what to do with either act. Little Brother got lucky and was able to drop Minstrel Show, and Saigon got unlucky.

If GSNT dropped when it was supposed to, it would've been a real gem and ahead of its time. There were a few sample clearance issues too. They had to remake The Invitation, Better Way, and a couple others.

Little Brother and Saigon were both stuck in that in-between era. I don't know if Atlantic said this to Saigon, but I remember they told Little Brother that they knew they had fans online, but ":jbhmm:if only there was some way to measure how many fans or followers you truly have online" that they'd be more confident getting behind the album.

They tried to link LB and Saigon. Saigon was supposed to be the last verse on the final track, but instead of rapping about how he had next (the topic of the song) his verse was about how gays spread AIDS and how he needed to be saved. :heh::dead:

Another fun trivia fact (@old boy you said to tag you). Alchemist gave the Say Yes beat to Saigon for 100 dollars when Saigon got out of prison for the Rawkus Records 12" single. They worked a lot after that, but for GSNT Saigon didn't reach out to Al to even listen to any beats for the album. Al was a little bit annoyed at it, but they patched it up by the time the album actually hit shelves.

EDIT: JUST BLAZE YOU PROMISED BACK ON SOHH YOU'D DROP THE ORIGINAL INVITATION AND YOU DIDN'T! :mjcry:

Goddamn bro you are a WEALTH of information when it comes to this music shyt.

I CLEARLY remember how fukked up Atlantic did their rap artists around that 2004-2010 period. They DESTROYED Lupe Fiasco’s momentum and tried to force him into a 360 deal and strong arm his career. They gave Little Brother lukewarm support for Minstrel Show. They pushed back Saigon so much that it derailed ALL the buzz he’d worked so hard to attain with his mixtapes, the Entourage role, and the singles. I remember him being so frustrated that he threatened to leak the album himself.

All that mid 2000’s fukkery robbed us of some EXCELLENT music.

I always thought it was a miracle that Little Brother was able to drop the Minstrel Show during that time. I don’t know what twist of fate or guardian angel was able to get that damn album
Released and not be butchered to Hell. I know Phonte had a lot to do with the behind the scenes stuff but it always felt amazing to me that Just fukking BLAZE with his pedigree and accolades couldn’t get Saigon’s album out but Little Brother was able to, against all odds get their album released

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Damn Ebro and Peter Rosenberg got it bad :picard:
a lot of people claim to have been Blackballed but saigon really was by his label

i don't think people really listened to his debut album. count the amount of times he says cracka on there

he had some suits hot as fukk. they bodied his career shelving that shyt.

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Man... flying to London, UK, then listening to new saigiddy, new lox, watching tenent..lunching with two son's of a russian billionaire and couple gulf arabiyah brothers..
OK..
you thotting again? getting flown out? :skip:

something kills me about a cross dressing brown dude that loves hardcore hip hop and bussy with a side of cocaine.

you sir are an anomaly

ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA

Return of the Khryst
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA
you thotting again? getting flown out? :skip:

something kills me about a cross dressing brown dude that loves hardcore hip hop and bussy with a side of cocaine.

you sir are an anomaly
property development and those dude's are just companions ive met a few time's..