Russia's Invasion of Ukraine (Official Thread)

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:gucci: LGBTQ have FAR more rights in Ukraine than in Russia. They suffered heavy discrimination in the separatist held eastern areas. Gay Ukrainians in fact have been lining up to fight against Russia, as they know who is the worse option.

Those "left wing parties" are apologists for the nation that, you know, is actively invading their country. This is an allegedly temporary maneuver due to war and martial law. If they stay suspended after the conflict, that's another story. This is opposed to a country that has opposition leaders jailed and assassinated.

Yes, the nazi problem is real. Zelensky is in a tough spot. Also, war makes strange bedfellows.

All this "both sides" equivocating went out the window the moment Russia invaded. shyt is a zero sum now. Saying they are wrong for invading is not a difficult moral position.

I never said it was a difficult moral position.
This is a fabrication concocted in your minds because I disagree with Ukraine having clean hands in this situation.

As for Zelensky and the party he's in and their LGBTQ track record:
LGBTQ rights in Ukraine and the false dawn of Zelenskyy - Atlantic Council

The Article said:
Zelenskyy’s Servant of the People party has also begun to change its official ideology in ways to that do not bode well for the LGBTQ community and other minorities. During campaigning for Ukraine’s July 2019 parliamentary elections, the president’s politicial force positioned itself as a “libertarian party”. However, during a February 2020 congress, party members voted to adopt a so-called “centrist ideology.” This apparent inconsistency has added weight to accusations of populism and left Ukrainians confused over what the party actually stands for.

Ukraine: The liberal honeymoon for LGBTQ is over. (qua.community)

The Article said:
As soon as “Servant of the People” MPs’ got to the Verkhovna Rada they made a sharp 180-degree turn. The first wake-up call was the creation of the parliamentary group “Values. Dignity. Family” initiated by Svyatoslav Yurash – MP from the “Servant of the People” party and Oleh Voloshyn, an MP from the “OPPOSITION PLATFORM - FOR LIFE” party. In his interviews, Yurash explained that the association would oppose same-sex marriages and LGBTQ adoption rights.

:salute:
One click away and yet y'all don't even bother to casually look into it.

Daps
Putin simply cannot be allowed to remain in power.
time an time again he has proven himself to be an aggressive, unpredictable, dishonest player on the world stage.
that might fly under the radar if it weren't the 2nd largest military in the world but alas, here we are.

full

these sanctions are just a step in the direction of the ultimate goal and remind me of an old Grover Norquist quote:

replace government with Russian economy and replace 25 years with 3 and that is what these sanctions are doing.
this goons days are numbered, he jumped the shark too many times.

all he did was jump the shark...:dead:

:pacspit: Grover Norquist

Adeptus Astartes

Loyal servant of the God-Brehmperor
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Imperium of Man
I never said it was a difficult moral position.
This is a fabrication concocted in your minds because I disagree with Ukraine having clean hands in this situation.

As for Zelensky and the party he's in and their LGBTQ track record:
LGBTQ rights in Ukraine and the false dawn of Zelenskyy - Atlantic Council
bytching about how "clean" Ukraine's hands are, as it is being invaded by an authoritarian power on false pretenses is pointless, and serves only to muddy the waters. As another poster said, it's like asking a raped woman what she was wearing and how many sexual partners she's had.

As to LGBTQ, they have significantly more protections in Ukraine than Russia. Ukrainians have no love for them (they're Orthodox Christians after all), but they have legal protections, and gay media is allowed, unlike in Russia. Ukraine has pushed gay censorship bills recently, but as your own article states, they were rejected.

Again, gay Ukrainians themselves have picked a side, and that side is Ukraine.

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
bytching about how "clean" Ukraine's hands are, as it is being invaded by an authoritarian power on false pretenses is pointless, and serves only to muddy the waters. As another poster said, it's like asking a raped woman what she was wearing and how many sexual partners she's had.

As to LGBTQ, they have significantly more protections in Ukraine than Russia. Ukrainians have no love for them (they're Orthodox Christians after all), but they have legal protections, and gay media is allowed, unlike in Russia. Ukraine has pushed gay censorship bills recently, but as your own article states, they were rejected.

Again, gay Ukrainians themselves have picked a side, and that side is Ukraine.
Ok.
So which one is it:
It doesn't matter ? Or it does ? Because it sounds like you're tacitly admitting that this does in fact matter
by saying "Gay Ukrainians have picked a side!!!".

jj23

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Just so I am clear - A cynical murderous autocrat has invaded a sovereign state, and I need to consider the shyt Ukraine was up to before the invasion, and I am not to enjoy, laugh at or mock seeing Putin and his forces suffer and take L after L.

Got it.

Doing so makes me no better than the right wing crazies. Got it.

It makes me childish and not adult. Gotcha.

Adeptus Astartes

Loyal servant of the God-Brehmperor
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Imperium of Man
Ok.
So which one is it:
It doesn't matter ? Or it does ? Because it sounds like you're tacitly admitting that this does in fact matter
by saying "Gay Ukrainians have picked a side!!!".
:dwillhuh: I never said it didn't matter. You brought up Ukraine's less than perfect LGBT policy as a way to kick dirt on them. I said that this criticism is irrelevent at this point and only serves to muddy the waters, as the other party involved is far worse on that issue.