Russia's Invasion of Ukraine (Official Thread)

MushroomX

Packers Stockholder
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wisconsin
Ukraine getting advised by the finest best of the best of US generals top men :ohlawd:

top-men.gif

intra vires

Glory to Michigan
Daps
Reppin
The Catholepistemiad
You can tell the US/Europe realizes Russia can't sustain this, regardless of whether they take Ukraine or not.
You're correct they can't sustain this even if they take Kyiv, Lviv and western Ukraine will continue to resist.

Russia has an economy the size of Italy's. Military excursions cost money and they're on their way to becoming a pariah state.

Last edited:

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
Yeah that’s certainly the one wild card in this. Perhaps not having those perceived threats creeping to the border wouldn’t of stopped him from doing this anyway. But I really think if it’s a case of mental illness then the perceived NATO threat helped to trigger it. There’s no doubt that Putin’s political ideology is fascist in nature but I still think a better devised plan between East and West could’ve prevented this. Perhaps have those countries he’s sensitive about be neutral but under the condition that both sides help equip those countries to defend themselves and have the condition of either East or West attacks those countries then the other has the right to defend them a la Article 5 of the NATO charter.

Whether or not that could’ve worked is another question but I still think they could’ve tried to actually work this out. Russia and the West were both stubborn and prideful in this and that’s why we’re here. And the transition out of Communism was a failure in terms of making Russia a more democratic country and this transition also made things hard for countries in the Eastern bloc. I think that’s why as much as I bring up Finland/Sweden it’s important to keep in mind that those countries had a much different development path than Ukraine which might’ve made neutrality a harder option especially with Kiev’s own history of corrupt govts. It’s just like any other war, a lot of sad circumstances and mishaps that leads to conflict. You would hope that things could de escalate but it doesn’t look like that’ll happen. It might take countries like China, Turkey, etc to pull both sides together to negotiate. The Azerbaijan/Turkey joint mediation offer sounds good given their relationships with both sides and being regional partners that have a stake in stability in that part of the world. Either way, influential parties will need to stop watching and start pressing for negotiations.

There’s a reason you don’t hear of dictators having happy endings. To maintain rule you have to stamp out even a bit of obstruction(at least that’s how they operate).

They don’t have fair elections cause they don’t care what people think.

Putin doesn’t want a free moving Ukraine cause stuff he cares about they might not go his way. Which is the worst thing you can do to a dictator.

I mean think about it. How many people were actually going to read that Khashoggi(sp?) dude’s article in Saudi Arabia? He just didn’t like that dude.