Russia's Invasion of Ukraine (Official Thread)

jj23

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Under no circumstances should the US or NATO directly intervene, it’ll spark WW3. That being said I agree Russia is likely not stopping with Ukraine. Especially since the US is pumping weapons through Poland into Ukraine. If Putin wants to attack a NATO nation (Poland) that will be the spark….so be it. But no rational person in the US wants to be the one to start WW3.

Russia’s poor military showing so far suggests to me they’d get rolled by NATO/US. But with Putin seemingly in a delusional state of mind, maybe he tries it anyway. If so we’re all fukked since nukes will fly.
Thank you.

Ozymandeas

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I feel bad for the Ukrainian people. I truly do. But Ukraine is not even close to a security interest for us.

Sad as it is, we have little to no leverage leverage against the second most powerful nuclear power on this matter.

I would point to the Monroe doctrine on how we would deal with incursions on the Western Hemisphere.

Maybe I’m wrong, but I’d like to hear a convincing argument. :yeshrug:

I hear you on the bolded.

But Russia is actively pushing these countries away. It would be one thing if Russia was a prosperous and democratic society with rule of law like the U.S., the UK or other countries in Europe (and yes, I know these countries have soiled, dirty hands but, Russia's is crimson red). If that was the case, then the West would look like the aggressor for aligning with these border nations. But that's not the case. They're running towards us because Russia is fukked up and backwards. It's a third world country with nuclear weapons and oil. I mean, let's see. Widespread bribery and corruption, murderous authoritarian dictator, kleptocrats and extreme wealth stratification (the West is guilty of this too), regressive political system, high levels of violence, xenophobia, racism, sexism, homophobia, appalling human rights abuses, every business deal or political alliance becoming a faustian bargain (see Lukashenko), journalists and critics getting merked right in public like its all good. Killing protestors like its a video game. Putin flat out telling neighboring countries they have no sovereignty essentially. Threatening nuclear warfare to anyone that gets in their way. Talking about killing Presidents and dismantling a country that was supposed to be your ally? Why would any of these countries want to deal with that? Like seriously. Why would they? America may have its own brand of evil and we may be the sophisticated crook in a suit but, people would rather do business with that guy compared to some Eastern Promises motherfukka. I'm sure if the U.S. was as fukked up as they are, we would have created alot more enemies in the Western Hemisphere by now and in response, they would have tested how serious America was about not aligning with other powers. So, that's the difference imo. It's their behavior. Russia needs to focus on reforming. If they put even half of their resources into developing their country rather than in military spending to match the U.S., they wouldn't have to force all these countries to stay in line by gunpoint. They would gladly want to align themselves with Russia rather than doing it begrudgingly as they are now. I know it won't happen though.

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
I'm making the point that these supplies mean nothing if the Russian military still has air superiority.

All of this is for naught as long as Russia can bomb them from above.

It might seems stupid at face value but the difference between having an effective combat helmet and not are well documented. It is literally life or death.

:mjlol:

Soymuscle Mike

Formerly known as Vincenzo Corleone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sweetlake City
More helmets. This is the foolery I'm taking about @Soymuscle Mike :snoop:

They're also supplying 200 Stinger anti-airmissile machines:
Netherlands sending 200 Stinger missiles to Ukraine; More military aid en route
The Netherlands will deliver 200 Stinger anti-aircraft missiles to Ukraine as soon as possible, the Cabinet said on Saturday. The decision comes after additional requests from Ukraine for military goods. For this request, a careful, but shortened, assessment against the arms export criteria took place, according to a letter sent by Foreign Affairs Minister Wopke Hoekstra and Defense Minister Kajsa Ollongren to the Tweede Kamer.

In addition to the 200 Stinger missiles, the Netherlands already dispatched the military equipment it committed to providing "for Ukrainian self-defense against an armed attack by Russia," Hoekstra said. Some of that material was already sent, with more to be dispatched as soon as possible.

-ADVERTENTIE-

The cybersecurity assistance the Netherlands planned to provide earlier this week was delayed due to the Russian invasion. The government is still working with Ukrainian authorities to investigate how Dutch cyberdefense teams can be deployed to assist, Hoekstra said.

On Friday, military equipment was on its way from the Netherlands to Ukraine, Ollongren said on the television program Jinek.

The Cabinet previously announced it would supply 100 sniper rifles with associated ammunition, five weapon location radars, two battlefield surveillance radars, metal detectors and two wire-guided detection robots to detect naval mines. It would also send 3,000 combat helmets and 2,000 fragmentation vests, according to the Ministry of Defense.

The delivery was slightly delayed due to Russia’s complete invasion of Ukraine. "We had a different logistical plan, but the attack by the Russians changed that," Ollongren said.

During a telephone conversation with Prime Minister Mark Rutte, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky asked for even more military aid on Friday. The Ministry of Defense was already looking into the request that day, Ollongren said. “We’re going to do our very best to help,” she said.

The Netherlands is also looking into how humanitarian and financial aid can be given to Zelensky's government. More clarity on this should be provided in the coming days.

Dutch fighter jets sent to patrol NATO airspace in Eastern Europe had already completed their first full day Friday, according to the Ministry of Defense.

Reporting by ANP and NL Times.