Russia's Invasion of Ukraine (Official Thread)

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
The word repel doesn't appear once in that manual. The title says "resist". Big difference. The means of resistance offered are mostly just not helping Russians. But if you want to repel them (your word) that's gonna take force.

That's not the manual breh, that's just a discussion of it in response to Russia's actions in Ukraine in 2014. You didn't even read the link, did you? You just did a word search. The manual itself is in Lithuanian.

@Rhakim in this thread taking lumps like
Getting Jumped GIFs | Tenor
only to come back on some ole
Charlie Murphy I Want More on Make a GIF

If MLK and Ghandi had a child together and then did a Fusion Dance to combine, they would still get murked trying that peace shyt. No disrespect to the peace movement generally speaking as can be used in conjunction with the war effort by those already under occupation, but to say that's the only tool in the box is just silly.

I get that this is why you participate in the thread, you want to win arguments and get laughs. You see it as a combat game. I see it differently. Don't you think it was obvious to me, considering the attitude of the people posting here, that I've known from the onset that any comments I make upholding my experience and values on the subject would get exactly this response? I didn't enter the thread in order to win the internet.

At least I put something out there, a lot of information that some people here were clearly ignorant of, and perhaps there is a lurker or two who can read those historical incidents or background links and learn something. I don't have to say that I was a coward afraid to express myself in a war-riled time and place or that I only pick spots where I think the terrain will be easy. Anyone who knows my life knows that I could never do that.

Think about it this way - have you said anything in any of your responses to me that I could learn anything from, any information I didn't already know or any insightful background that I could read up on and change my perspective? Or is the entire effort just a bunch of combat debate and insults so you can "own the libs"?

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity
That's not the manual breh, that's just a discussion of it in response to Russia's actions in Ukraine in 2014. You didn't even read the link, did you? You just did a word search. The manual itself is in Lithuanian.

It was the only link you provided in support of your post.... :why:

And yeah all I did was a word search and give it a cursory glance because that was all that was needed show how you were playing with words that mean two very different things given the context of the conversation.
Think about it this way - have you said anything in the entire thread that I could learn anything from, any information I didn't already know or any insightful background that I could read up on and change my perspective?

I dunno, breh breh. You tell me... :unimpressed:

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity
This is either going to be a non-factor or is going to be fukking huge. I'm having trouble thinking of what "halfway response" is even available at this point.

What would be the response of a non-violence advocate to this development?

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
im using it because who started the war?

Incredible exercise in missing the point.

you are continually misframing this to stick to some weird nonapplicable non-violence vibrational energy lol - not even as a misunderstanding but as a personal thing you need to feel better talking down to people

I don't even understand that sentence, but considering the things that have been said to me, claiming that I'm the one guilty of talking down to people is rich.

Anyone who has expressed the slightest desire to aim for anything other than a total war response has been subjected to the most vile personal and character attacks, even if they aren't replying to anyone else, even if they aren't even in the thread. There's 40-page HL thread (eventually got bushed) that was devoted entirely to talking shyt about people who hope a peace treaty will be possible. Just in the last few pages y'all have talked all sorts of trash and made the most condescending, dismissive remarks to my positions without even engaging in any of them serious, just believing that because I have a different position, it's wrong, and you don't think you need to research it at all to prove that.

I've never taken the easy way out on these principles. I argue them even in the difficult cases, and I provide background and concrete support for my arguments. If someone is going to just trash my opinions and trash me as a person without even knowing what I'm talking about, then yeah, I'm going to speak as if I don't have a great deal of respect for their opinions on the subject.

It was the only link you provided in support of your post.... :why:

The link to the manual is in that paper (dead now since it is 7 years old), but why would I link the manual itself considering it's written in Lithuanian?

I was just pointing out that the fact you thought that was the manual itself was clear proof you didn't read it.

And yeah all I did was a word search and give it a cursory glance because that was all that was needed show how you were playing with words that mean two very different things given the context of the conversation.

Yeah, no one could have read that shyt and thought it was irrelevant, considering that he's literally talking about how Lithuania's preparation for Russian invasion was directly relevant to combatting Russia in Ukraine and why Ukraine's military response as of 2015 was going to be counterproductive and lead to more suffering for their population. Which, looking back in hindsight from 2022, is pretty damn prescient but I doubt you'll feel the same way since you give the impression that Putin taking a huge L is more important than the tremendous suffering the Ukrainians have undergone since then. If they had chosen the route he suggests at the time he suggested it then there is significant potential (no certainties in history but the view is obvious) that the strength of pro-Kiev sentiment in Donbas likely would have been far stronger, the rebel movement would have gotten far less support, eastern Ukraine would have been subjected to far fewer casualties 2014-2021, and the Russian pretext for invasion never would have emerged at all. But you aren't even willing to consider that possibility, because the running ideology here is that violence is the only legitimate response to violence and nothing else could work equally well or better.

What would be the response of a non-violence advocate to this development?

The exact same as the response to the rest of the conflict - it doesn't change the underlying situation in any meaningful way from that perspective, especially considering they're likely strays. The book and the two links I already laid out to the previous question would be the starting point.

What's the warmonger response....use 2 deaths (in a war of tens of thousands of deaths) to escalate it to an even broader, more deadly conflict and ensure that additional civilian populations are swept up into the suffering?

I've put off way too much work to type out all these responses, this is my last comment and I'm going to sleep. Gonna pray this doesn't expand even worse and become an even greater conflict; which, if it does happen, I'm sure you'll attribute to them not having warred hard enough, as opposed to being the natural consequence of a war response.

Last edited:

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
Incredible exercise in missing the point.

I don't even understand that sentence, but considering the things that have been said to me, claiming that I'm the one guilty of talking down to people is rich.

Anyone who has expressed the slightest desire to aim for anything other than a total war response has been subjected to the most vile personal and character attacks, even if they aren't replying to anyone else, even if they aren't even in the thread. There's 40-page HL thread (eventually got bushed) that was devoted entirely to talking shyt about people who hope a peace treaty will be possible. Just in the last few pages y'all have talked all sorts of trash and made the most condescending, dismissive remarks to my positions without even engaging in any of them serious, just believing that because I have a different position, it's wrong, and you don't think you need to research it at all to prove that.

I've never taken the easy way out on these principles. I argue them even in the difficult cases, and I provide background and concrete support for my arguments. If someone is going to just trash my opinions and trash me as a person without even knowing what I'm talking about, then yeah, I'm going to speak as if I don't have a great deal of respect for their opinions on the subject.

The link to the manual is in that paper (dead now since it is 7 years old), but why would I link the manual itself considering it's written in Lithuanian?

I was just pointing out that the fact you thought that was the manual itself was clear proof you didn't read it.

Yeah, no one could have read that shyt and thought it was irrelevant, considering that he's literally talking about how Lithuania's preparation for Russian invasion was directly relevant to combatting Russia in Ukraine and why Ukraine's military response as of 2015 was going to be counterproductive and lead to more suffering for their population. Which, looking back in hindsight from 2022, is pretty damn prescient but I doubt you'll feel the same way since you give the impression that Putin taking a huge L is more important than the tremendous suffering the Ukrainians have undergone since then. If they had chosen the route he suggests at the time he suggested it then there is significant potential (no certainties in history but the view is obvious) that the strength of pro-Kiev sentiment in Donbas likely would have been far stronger, the rebel movement would have gotten far less support, eastern Ukraine would have been subjected to far fewer casualties 2014-2021, and the Russian pretext for invasion never would have emerged at all. But you aren't even willing to consider that possibility, because the running ideology here is that violence is the only legitimate response to violence and nothing else could work equally well or better.

I've put off way too much work to type out all these responses, this is my last comment and I'm going to sleep. Gonna pray this doesn't expand even worse and become an even greater conflict; which, if it does happen, I'm sure you'll attribute to them not having warred hard enough, as opposed to being the natural consequence of a war response.
you legit ain't even discussing anything with me anymore but harboring issues with groups of people in threads i ain't even touch

my point is what?

if you know, come back to it and have a real conservation if that's what you want to do. i've never been anything but open to talking about subjects like these.