Russia's Invasion of Ukraine (Official Thread)

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity
Marital law in an authoritarian nation not under attack…crazy.
People would freak out top to bottom in the U.S. if martial law was declared legitimately. If it was over some bs, shyt would boil over the top in the streets and I honestly don't know what that would look like. Broadly speaking it seems like Russians have been completely neutered in terms of opposing the government in any meaningful, collective way. The institutions of democracy have been so thoroughly eroded that I don't know if it's possible at this point. Is there even a social memory of collective uprising to draw upon? That whole country is :why: status. Everything about it is pure :sadcam: in a :trash: on fire.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
They're paranoid about Russia sending out thousands of sleeper cells in the chaos.

No they're not. Finland would be the more obvious target and Finland clearly isn't worried at all. Russia neither has "thousands of sleeper cells" available nor would they deploy them in such an unproductive manner - coming in as openly Russian, in a manner where you can't avoid attention, and have access to literally nothing important would be a waste of time. Either Russia already has thousands of sleepers in those countries or they don't have capacity at all.

Poland is run by a right-wing nationalist and openly xenophobic government that has one of the biggest reps for hating refugees in all of Europe. Whether you're Black or Muslim or Ukrainian, you already know about Polish institutional racism. So don't try and make this something that it's not just because the thread has decide to treat it like a spectator sport rather than a war.

No, as a matter of fact we don't. We want Russians to get fed up with their current regime and collectively decide to remove them. That option is better for them as well as the international community in the long run. That's the first significant step in lifting the international sanctions that are strangling them economically.

The next step would be a leadership whose buddy list is a little more diverse than the axis of super villains.

And they're going to do that while stuck behind an information firewall in a place where dissent is immediately crushed? With no movement to get behind and no opposition leader with a prayer to follow? The average Russian can do literally nothing to accomplish that other than opt out of the system and tell their friends to do so as well, and they're going to be a lot more successful at that from outside the country than from within it.

Plus, forcing people to stay in a human rights disaster so that you can coerce them to accomplish your political agenda is usually considered a human rights violation - that's why the UN charter on refugees is focused on accepting them rather than on forcing them to "change their country".

It's crazy that this thread on one hand has post after post laughing at how fukking horrible it is to be a Russian soldier right now, yet simultaneously wishes to force innocent people to do it and likely die in the process because internet memes.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
People would freak out top to bottom in the U.S. if martial law was declared legitimately. If it was over some bs, shyt would boil over the top in the streets and I honestly don't know what that would look like. Broadly speaking it seems like Russians have been completely neutered in terms of opposing the government in any meaningful, collective way. The institutions of democracy have been so thoroughly eroded that I don't know if it's possible at this point. Is there even a social memory of collective uprising to draw upon? That whole country is :why: status. Everything about it is pure :sadcam: in a :trash: on fire.

I think it's a combination of effective neutering of the opposition (often through assassination), information control, cult of personality, and legit mental depression. A less popular dictator than Putin wouldn't be able to control the opposition via tyranny alone, but Putin has created this cult around himself so that even if his opponents did try to rise up, they'd have to deal with a motivated bulk of their fellow citizens in addition to Putin's own forces. And even then maybe they'd have a chance because under these circumstances they'd be more motivated than their opponents, but Russia's decades of depressing history have so many people in such a negative place that I think a lot of them just want to drink and hide away.

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity
That shyt don't even make sense. How the fukk could a production line that put out 40% failures even exist? Did they literally start manufacturing these chips solely to supply Russian needs and are learning on the run or something?

Yeah, that's what I think. China is nowhere near N. Korea or Taiwan in chip design and manufacturing. I could totally see them shipping out 40% failures because what other choice does Russia have?

ill

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mother Russia & Greater Israel
That shyt don't even make sense. How the fukk could a production line that put out 40% failures even exist? Did they literally start manufacturing these chips solely to supply Russian needs and are learning on the run or something?

Biden's CHIPS bill decapitated the Chinese semiconductor industry. Any American involved had to leave so the Chinese most likely are learning on the run now.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Biden's CHIPS bill decapitated the Chinese semiconductor industry. Any American involved had to leave so the Chinese most likely are learning on the run now.

I don't know anything about semiconductor industry in China, but the fact that a country with their level of resources and intellectual capital would have still been leaning on Americans decades after semiconductor manufacturing hit the stratesphere is crazy.

ill

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mother Russia & Greater Israel
I don't know anything about semiconductor industry in China, but the fact that a country with their level of resources and intellectual capital would have still been leaning on Americans decades after semiconductor manufacturing hit the stratesphere is crazy.

I would imagine China thought they could just piggyback/steal from Taiwan whenever they wanted. Here's a decent round up on how CHIPS killed Chinese semiconductor industry (at least for now)

Link

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
Nah, the vast majority will survive to see things go to shyt. Nuclear bombs don't really cover that large an area compared to how spread out human population is, and only so many nukes can/will be popped off. Simulations I've seen suggest something like 100 million deaths on the first day, with a lot of uncertainty, which means there's nearly 8 billion of us still hanging around.

Deaths could definitely hit into the billions, but that will only come after fallout, infrastructure collapse, nuclear winter, societal collapse, etc. Which means the vast majority of deaths will be slow and painful. You might prefer to be caught in the initial strike.
with the recent history of internet being severed or controlled severely for even small stuff like elections and riots, i wouldn't believe that a drastically more impactful event would somehow have less censorship and control

TheAlbionist

All Star
Daps
Reppin
London
No they're not. Finland would be the more obvious target and Finland clearly isn't worried at all. Russia neither has "thousands of sleeper cells" available nor would they deploy them in such an unproductive manner - coming in as openly Russian, in a manner where you can't avoid attention, and have access to literally nothing important would be a waste of time. Either Russia already has thousands of sleepers in those countries or they don't have capacity at all.

Poland is run by a right-wing nationalist and openly xenophobic government that has one of the biggest reps for hating refugees in all of Europe. Whether you're Black or Muslim or Ukrainian, you already know about Polish institutional racism. So don't try and make this something that it's not just because the thread has decide to treat it like a spectator sport rather than a war.

You asked a question. I gave an answer. You seem very worked up about this.

Never did I say Poland was right to be paranoid - in fact the word paranoid kind of implies they're overblowing the risks at the very least. Which is something right wing, increasingly protectionist countries do - I don't disagree with a lot of what you've written.

They aren't friendly to immigration generally at the moment, it's true, but there's an extra layer when it comes to Russia. Even moderate Poles living here in the UK are convinced Putin orchestrated their government being killed in a plane crash a few years back, they have a history of being subjugated by Russians from the East and Germans from the West and it takes a lot for ANY Pole to find a kind word to say about either.

Make it out to be however you want it to be, but there are lots of factors at play in Poland's attitudes to Russian refugees.

NZA

LOL
Daps
Reppin
These Internet Streetz
china is only deficient on the more advanced chips. they do make less advanced chips quite fine on their own, but covid restrictions and probably a dramatic increase in russian orders may be taking a toll on them.

Brehcepticon

Adeptus Brehstartes
Supporter
Daps
The official Check in if you are still breavin thread.
Brehs looking like mutants
m6149KP.png