Russia's Invasion of Ukraine (Official Thread)

Superstar
Daps
Good video

That wasn’t a good video lol. First of all Col. Black (Ret.), with respect to his experiences as a pilot in Vietnam, switched to the Army JAG corps after the war. He served in this capacity until his separation in 1994. I would listen to his flying exploits, for days, in a VFW bar. I would never take his advice on modern combat.

His analysis also didn’t have much depth to it but that’s understandable given his background. At no point in his career was he ever in capacity to plan/strategize or leas men on the ground. Of course not, it’s not what he was trained to do. He was trained to fly combat missions and eventually to be a lawyer and judge. I’d ask a pfc with only an NTC/JRTC experience to plan and lead a simple patrol before I would ask him.

At the end of the day These “analyst” are paid to make points and counterpoints. The copy and pasted comments (with some slightly altered comments) in the comment section were wild though. The formality is out place. When we speak with other veterans, no mater the rank. We talk to each other like regular human beings. That whole section was a wild ride lol.

I also wanted to add that I respect what he did for Ollin Crawford

I don’t respect that he’s about as friendly with Russia as Steven Segal. He also champions Assad in Syria.

That’s why I feel this isn’t a good video.

Last edited:

Superstar
Daps
Turkey getting onboard with the rest of NATO regarding Fins and Swedes joining...
vdSyX6p_d.webp

I hope that poster is still hanging up at the UN and NATO somewhere lmao

Superstar
Daps
In the interest of learning I’d like you guys to try to answer these questions in your own words. Eventually we can go over it and relate it to this conflict to help you guys understand the context.

In your own words, define war. How would you envision a peer/near peer war going?

How long is it advised for military personnel to be in direct combat before being temporarily rotated out?

Why is the 3:1 ratio so important for assaulting a dug in defense?

What’s the square mileage of Ukraine?

What are the 5 most common terrain features of Ukraine?

What’s the ideal situation to create a river crossing for a large force?

What are some advantages and disadvantages of having to stay close to roadways in war? Why would a force need to stay close to the roads?

In your own words, how do armor and infantry support each other?

Why is order of battle important?

In your own words describe centralized command and decentralized command. Which do you feel is better?

What’s a blocking position?
What would you estimate the weight of the average Ukrainian and Russian soldier’s personal combat load to be?

What are battle drills of the US Army. In what context are they important.

define or illustrate (post a picture of) the following squad/platoon formations and give a short explanation of when they’re best used:

Tactical road march

File

Line

Wedge

Tag me if you decide to answer. The near instant flow of information/misinformation is a relatively recent to combat. I’m curious how you guys are picturing it all in your heads.

voiture

Superstar
Daps
The economic sanctions package looks like a catastrophic blunder a few months later now. It has done little to change Russia's rationale or posture in this conflict, has not affected their ability to fund the war in the short to mid-term, and has had far larger knock-on effects on the global economy than initially presumed by USA and EU. Energy prices appear locked in at these highs for the foreseeable future and, along with inflation, will have political consequences for sitting governments in all the G7 countries (and already have). It'll likely even get more grim in the winter, especially for the EU, if and when gas shortages have a glaring effect on day to day life.

This is without considering the effect of food shortages and food price hike on rest of the world, though at least that can be argued to have less of a direct connection to sanctions.

So far answer from Biden, EU etc has been to rhetorically blame Russia for the consequences, which while true in principle, is unlikely to have much resonance politically. There is also already some airing ofregret/second-guessing about where the sanctions should go from now and their effect on the economy: US Officials Are Split Over the Next Round of Russia Sanctions

Militarily it also appears the situation looks a lot less promising from Western perspective than it was a few months ago, now that Russia has concentrated its war aims. Looks like a grim path ahead both on political, economic, and war fronts.

LONDON, June 8 (Reuters) - Russia's economy will shrink 15% this year and 3% in 2023 as the hit from Western sanctions,​

Any country that has a reduction in GDP downwards of 10% or more is facing an economic disaster. Russia cannot sustain this

thatrapsfan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

LONDON, June 8 (Reuters) - Russia's economy will shrink 15% this year and 3% in 2023 as the hit from Western sanctions,​

Any country that has a reduction in GDP downwards of 10% or more is facing an economic disaster. Russia cannot sustain this
There is no debate that the average Russian is experiencing massive hits to their standard of living, but their ability to find alternative buyers for their energy products (India, China etc) even at a discount has meant they still have plenty of cash to fund the war. They've earned more on oil revenue post-war than they did last year. As long as they're able to find customers for their oil and gas exports, they'll be able to finance the war in the short to medium term.

Unlike Russia, the US, Canada and EU allies are democracies and will have to deal with ballot box pressures if energy prices and inflation remain fixed at their current levels ( which all analysis says they will). Far more likely we see some fractures internally between the alliance, before a Russian collapse of the war effort in my opinion. I'll check back in the fall :manny:

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity
In the interest of learning I’d like you guys to try to answer these questions in your own words. Eventually we can go over it and relate it to this conflict to help you guys understand the context.

In your own words, define war. How would you envision a peer/near peer war going?

How long is it advised for military personnel to be in direct combat before being temporarily rotated out?

Why is the 3:1 ratio so important for assaulting a dug in defense?

What’s the square mileage of Ukraine?

What are the 5 most common terrain features of Ukraine?

What’s the ideal situation to create a river crossing for a large force?

What are some advantages and disadvantages of having to stay close to roadways in war? Why would a force need to stay close to the roads?

In your own words, how do armor and infantry support each other?

Why is order of battle important?

In your own words describe centralized command and decentralized command. Which do you feel is better?

What’s a blocking position?
What would you estimate the weight of the average Ukrainian and Russian soldier’s personal combat load to be?

What are battle drills of the US Army. In what context are they important.

define or illustrate (post a picture of) the following squad/platoon formations and give a short explanation of when they’re best used:

Tactical road march

File

Line

Wedge

Tag me if you decide to answer. The near instant flow of information/misinformation is a relatively recent to combat. I’m curious how you guys are picturing it all in your heads.

:skip:

NZA

LOL
Daps
Reppin
These Internet Streetz
Reality is setting in. Russia is winning. Ukraine will eventually have to negotiate.

"The US and its allies, meanwhile, have been scrounging the world for the kind of Soviet-era ammunition that fits the equipment Ukraine already has, including 152 mm artillery ammunition. NATO-standard weapons fire larger, 155mm rounds. But another US defense official told CNN that effort is effectively reaching its end, with almost everything available that countries are willing to provide having already gone in.
Given the prodigious rate at which the Ukrainians have gone through their older ammunition in the bruising artillery fight in the Donbas, the official said, "Soviet-era weapons are being wiped off the earth.""

amazing quote

Superstar
Daps
I was skeptical at first but they’re slowly converting Ukraine’s to NATO weapons. The ammunition will be endless.

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn