Russia's Invasion of Ukraine (Official Thread)

Superstar
Daps
Our naval air forces are far, far superior to everyone else's. They're damn near the equal of the rest of the world combined.

But if I understand correctly, rumors are that China's DF-21D and DF-26B may be capable of hitting aircraft carriers up to 4,000 km out. Even if they don't have that capacity, the potential remains that they will have it soon. Losing an aircraft carrier would be a gargantuan blow that the US Navy would do almost anything to avoid. So if the capacity is true, then China might be able to carve out a huge region in the western Pacific that the US Navy would not be able to operate in at any meaningful level during a war over Taiwan. "Launch attacks from ships out of range" doesn't work as well if China can knock down everything from Taiwan to Guam.

Report: China’s ‘Aircraft-Carrier Killer’ Missiles Hit Target Ship in August

It’s a big reason both defensive/offensive laser and heat weapons were being developed years ago.

hashmander

Hale End
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Arsenal
So in the end what did Russia gain? They went in on Ukraine because NATO was at the border and now NATO is at the border with Finland.

What an idiot Vladimir is
and with Ukraine, NATO wasn't even at the border. Putin invaded so that NATO couldn't even accept them if they wanted to. Now they will be at the border for real. If this wasn't so bizarre you would think he was baited into invading Ukraine so NATO could get the Nordic countries that have been neutral for over a century. But that's too out there, he fukked up all on his own. It's the kind of theory Russiaset would come up with to show what a master strategist Putin if it was the reverse.

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity
and with Ukraine, NATO wasn't even at the border. Putin invaded so that NATO couldn't even accept them if they wanted to. Now they will be at the border for real. If this wasn't so bizarre you would think he was baited into invading Ukraine so NATO could get the Nordic countries that have been neutral for over a century. But that's too out there, he fukked up all on his own. It's the kind of theory Russiaset would come up with to show what a master strategist Putin if it was the reverse.

even if i accept the theory that Ukraine was bait (i don't), why would Putin take what he knew was bait?

it's so stupid all around.

be an autocrat, brehs.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
It’s a big reason both defensive/offensive laser and heat weapons were being developed years ago.

That's one thing they're hoping to use. But they're tough because in order to take out a missile with a laser you have to hold your target for a certain period of time. The faster the missile goes, the more difficult it is to hit it with a laser and not just hit it but hold it. It's a pretty tough ask.

Superstar
Daps
That's one thing they're hoping to use. But they're tough because in order to take out a missile with a laser you have to hold your target for a certain period of time. The faster the missile goes, the more difficult it is to hit it with a laser and not just hit it but hold it. It's a pretty tough ask.

It’s crazy how quickly the arms race has picked up again in the last decade. Previous insecurities led to overcompensating.

I’m kind of curious to see future countermeasure to all the hypersonic and loitering munitions. I’m also wondering if the navy is finishing the railgun experiments behind the scenes. I hope they haven’t given up on it.

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
On a human level it's pretty fukking sad though. Regular-ass people with no control over the situation just being sent to die.

Oh absolutely, it's almost unimaginable, you have a supposed superpower with what was thought to be one of the greatest militaries in the world giving their soldiers weapons from pre WWI and kit from the early Cold War and marching them into death with little to no support and the whole war is irrational and pointless in the first place...

On another note the remake of Catch-22 on Hulu is pretty good if anyone needs a light watch

:ehh:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Oh absolutely, it's almost unimaginable, you have a supposed superpower with what was thought to be one of the greatest militaries in the world giving their soldiers weapons from pre WWI and kit from the early Cold War and marching them into death with little to no support and the whole war is irrational and pointless in the first place...

On another note the remake of Catch-22 on Hulu is pretty good if anyone needs a light watch

:ehh:

Can't see myself ever watching Catch-22, the book was amazing but it feels like a story that isn't going to translate to the screen better than I already imagined it in my head.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether

Putin could stop sending his people to die in Ukraine......

.......or he could keep going and also send his entire population to die on their morning commutes.

Putin has gotta be worse than Trump at this point. Even the shytty-ass pandemic response wasn't this callous in terms of human lives.

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
even if i accept the theory that Ukraine was bait (i don't), why would Putin take what he knew was bait?

it's so stupid all around.

be an autocrat, brehs.
That’s why dictators usually go out sad.

Do your one or two terms and take your lumps and leave. Win some Lose some.

Do 20 or 30 and eventually you are there long enough to become paranoid about two plus decades of decisions. New Generation is worried about stuff that doesn’t concern the dictators.