RUSSIA/РОССИЯ THREAD—ASSANGE CHRGD W/ SPYING—DJT IMPEACHED TWICE-US TREASURY SANCTS KILIMNIK AS RUSSIAN AGNT

Dorian Breh

Veteran
Daps
Brehs in this thread have a more nuances view of this issue than me but I don't really understand all this shyt about the 'vulnerability' that Western 'democracy' has to fake news or bots or whatever

Misleading voters is as American as white supremacy, and I feel like the only reason these old people are freaking out is they don't really understand it

I absolutely feel that treason and collusion should be punished, preferably capitally because I would hate my taxes to go to housing and feeding these tax evaders.

But how is this fake news different than the misinformation spread by the Mormons to influence that California vote on gay marriage? They were using traditional and social ads to mislead people about the MEANING of yes or no vote.

In this case, American citizens were being misled about things related to the election, but it's not like the Russian bots were in the voting booth with them.

And it's not like they thought they were voting for someone else, they knew what they were doing. It's not the government's job to think for it's citizens or censor the information they have access to, that's up to the citizens.

You wanna keep this from happening again? Stop cutting education budgets.

Better yet, stop allowing these christian charter schools to pop up with govt funding in Pennsyltucky that misinform hundreds of thousands of people on all sorts of basic facts.

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn

88m3

Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
The Hill
22 mins ·
BREAKING: Intelligence reports show former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort, who was under government surveillance during and after the 2016 presidential campaign, was communicating with Russian operatives as early as 2015, according to an explosive new report.

Manafort communicated with Russian operatives as early as 2015: report
Manafort was wiretapped under a secret court order during and after the 2016 campaign.
THEHILL.COM

GnauzBookOfRhymes

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Brehs in this thread have a more nuances view of this issue than me but I don't really understand all this shyt about the 'vulnerability' that Western 'democracy' has to fake news or bots or whatever

Misleading voters is as American as white supremacy, and I feel like the only reason these old people are freaking out is they don't really understand it

I absolutely feel that treason and collusion should be punished, preferably capitally because I would hate my taxes to go to housing and feeding these tax evaders.

But how is this fake news different than the misinformation spread by the Mormons to influence that California vote on gay marriage? They were using traditional and social ads to mislead people about the MEANING of yes or no vote.

In this case, American citizens were being misled about things related to the election, but it's not like the Russian bots were in the voting booth with them.

And it's not like they thought they were voting for someone else, they knew what they were doing. It's not the government's job to think for it's citizens or censor the information they have access to, that's up to the citizens.

Better yet, stop allowing these christian charter schools to pop up with govt funding in Pennsyltucky that misinform hundreds of thousands of people on all sorts of basic facts.

I think it's moreso because 1) it's a foreign power and 2) the implications that this is related to an apparently successful strategy of compromising the PRESIDENT. I see your point and looking at it objectively, one could argue there is little difference between misinformation by Russians and by Mormons since both can subconsciously push policies in a direction that is dangerous (depending on your view). But this is orders of magnitude more dangerous than anything else we've seen.

Hood Critic

The Power Circle
Daps
Reppin
דעת
The Hill
22 mins ·
BREAKING: Intelligence reports show former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort, who was under government surveillance during and after the 2016 presidential campaign, was communicating with Russian operatives as early as 2015, according to an explosive new report.

Manafort communicated with Russian operatives as early as 2015: report
Manafort was wiretapped under a secret court order during and after the 2016 campaign.
THEHILL.COM
This post is siren worthy.

88m3

Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Big New York Law Firm Faces Inquiry on Manafort Work
By KENNETH P. VOGEL and ANDREW E. KRAMER 3:49 PM ET

The Justice Department is asking Skadden, a prominent New York-based firm, about a report it prepared for Paul J. Manafort that was used by allies of the Russian-backed former president of Ukraine.

91 Comments

Arianne Martell

"Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken"
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
House Martell #SnakeGang #Targset

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Shane Harris The God.

U.S. Monitored Manafort After He Left Trump Campaign

U.S. Monitored Manafort After He Left Trump Campaign
The surveillance came as part of a counterintelligence probe into Russian interference with presidential election
Shane HarrisSept. 21, 2017 6:50 p.m. ET
BN-VF735_MANAFO_GR_20170921180937.jpg

Paul Manafort was manager of Donald Trump’s presidential campaign until he left the organization in the summer of 2016. Photo: Matt Rourke/Associated Press

By
Shane Harris

U.S. authorities placed Paul Manafort under surveillance after he was ousted as Donald Trump’s campaign manager in the summer of 2016, according to U.S. officials with knowledge of the matter.

The surveillance, which was part of a counterintelligence investigation into Russian interference with the presidential election, didn’t involve listening to Mr. Manafort’s phone communications in real-time, the officials said.

But armed with a warrant, investigators still could have conducted clandestine surveillance of Mr. Manafort, possibly by obtaining copies of his emails and other electronically stored communications, or by having agents follow him or conduct physical searches of his property.

The surveillance began after Mr. Manafort left the Trump campaign in August, but it is not clear when it was suspended. Mr. Manafort resigned after a spate of publicity about his consulting work in Ukraine on behalf of Russian President Vladimir Putin’s allies.

The government’s focus on Mr. Manafort has grown more intense in recent months. He has become one focus of a probe lead by Special Counsel Robert Mueller, who is examining possible coordination between the Trump campaign and Russia during the campaign as well as whether Mr. Trump obstructed justice when he fired former FBI Director James Comey.

The Russian government and Mr. Trump have denied any wrongdoing.

Mr. Comey’s replacement, FBI Director Christopher Wray, met this week with congressional officials and discussed the law-enforcement agency’s surveillance of Mr. Manafort, according to a person briefed on the discussion.

An FBI spokesman declined to comment on Mr. Wray’s meeting with Congress.

In the face of mounting scrutiny and a CNN report he had been the target of a secret wiretap, Mr. Manafort suggested Thursday through a spokesman that he had been caught in the crossfire of the Russia investigation and accused the Obama administration of “pursuing surveillance against a political opponent.”

“It’s unclear if Paul Manafort was the objective,” said Jason Maloni, Mr. Manafort’s spokesman. “Perhaps the real objective was Donald Trump.”

Mr. Manafort, a Republican political consultant, is also being investigated by Mr., Mueller for potential criminal violations of a law requiring foreign agents to register with the Justice Department, The Wall Street Journal has reported.

Investigators have reviewed intelligence reports suggesting he was in contact with Russian operatives as early as 2015, according to current and former U.S. officials. In the spring of that year, U.S. spy agencies captured Russian government officials discussing associates of Mr. Trump, including Mr. Manafort, the officials said.

In some cases, the Russians in the overheard conversations talked about meetings held outside the U.S. involving Russian government officials and Trump business associates or advisers, the current and former officials said.

Those reports could have provided a basis for seeking a warrant to monitor Mr. Manafort, even months after the conversations occurred, if they indicated he was working on the Russian government’s behalf, one official said.

More recently, Mr. Mueller has been investigating Mr. Manafort for possible money laundering, according to a person familiar with the matter. In July, agents for Mr. Mueller served a search warrant on Mr. Manafort’s Virginia home, obtaining documents and other material tied to foreign bank accounts and tax matters, according to people familiar with the raid.

Mr. Maloni said he had no idea if a warrant had been issued against Mr. Manafort. CNN reported that investigators had obtained a warrant under the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act, or FISA, which allows the government to monitor the communications of suspected spies and foreign agents.

Those warrants are classified, and if one were issued, “it is shocking, shocking that someone would reveal its existence,” Mr. Maloni said. He repeated Mr. Manafort’s earlier insistence that “there is nothing to the allegations he is connected to colluding with the Russian government to undermine the 2016 elections.”

According to a January report from the U.S. intelligence agencies, Russia’s interference was directed at the highest levels of its government. Its tactics included hacking state election systems; infiltrating and leaking information from party committees and political strategists; and disseminating through social media and other outlets negative stories about Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton and positive ones about Mr. Trump, the report said.

—Del Quentin Wilber contributed to this article

Write to Shane Harris at shane.harris@wsj.com

Appeared in the September 22, 2017, print edition as 'U.S. Monitored Manafort After He Left Trump.'

Hood Critic

The Power Circle
Daps
Reppin
דעת
This is nothing new.

TheHill.com is not a primary source. Check the primary source.

I've told you all about Konstantin Kilimnik for months on here. Literally months.
The story is being widely reported, just like you just posted from the WaPo. Don't you dare talk about sources when you vehemently defended that crackpot LM.

Black Panther

Long Live The King
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda

I think people were shocked that something like this could ever be successfully pulled off by a foreign nation.

There have been rumblings in the past about how foreign money affects domestic elections (*cough* *cough* Israel *cough*), but the notion that a hostile foreign nation could harness long-standing tension to bend the US toward their objectives was previously unheard of.

Think about it. No, Russian trolls, bots, and propagandists weren't in the voting booths with voters, but they successfully got many of those voters to:

-Mistrust the election process
-Put a marginally bad candidate on a level playing field with an objectively horrible candidate, and
-Harness racial animus for political ends.

Seriously. People are so crossed up nowadays that a significant number of people are actively against a group that is anti-fascist, advocating for the rights of white supremacists, making false equivalencies between the morals of neo-Nazis/KKK and Black Lives Matter (the premier Black civil rights group of our time), and calling for a return to a time where our nation was more racist, more unequal, and less responsible about our environment. :mindblown:

It's not all the fault of Russian influence, but it definitely had a significant role to play.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
I think people were shocked that something like this could ever be successfully pulled off by a foreign nation.

There have been rumblings in the past about how foreign money affects domestic elections (*cough* *cough* Israel *cough*), but the notion that a hostile foreign nation could harness long-standing tension to bend the US toward their objectives was previously unheard of.

Think about it. No, Russian trolls, bots, and propagandists weren't in the voting booths with voters, but they successfully got many of those voters to:

-Mistrust the election process
-Put a marginally bad candidate on a level playing field with an objectively horrible candidate, and
-Harness racial animus for political ends.

Seriously. People are so crossed up nowadays that a significant number of people are actively against a group that is anti-fascist, advocating for the rights of white supremacists, making false equivalencies between the morals of neo-Nazis/KKK and Black Lives Matter (the premier Black civil rights group of our time), and calling for a return to a time where our nation was more racist, more unequal, and less responsible about our environment. :mindblown:

It's not all the fault of Russian influence, but it definitely had a significant role to play.
1996 United States campaign finance controversy - Wikipedia