Run The Damn Ball Kyle!!! 2020 49ers Offseason Thread.

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO

hopefully he can stay healthy because we all know he’s a pro bowl caliber player. It would be something if Shanahan can recreate gronk/hernandez here

Man Jimmy bout to have all these weapons.

And I know everyone wants him to have these inflated stats and throw for like 6000 years and 50 TDs.

But man..... I would be cool with 3500 and a SB.

I hate how inflated shyt is now that if you don’t get 4000 you ain’t elite.

Like niccas looked for year at Rivers as an elite QB and he only been to the playoffs like 4 times

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
Man Jimmy bout to have all these weapons.

And I know everyone wants him to have these inflated stats and throw for like 6000 years and 50 TDs.

But man..... I would be cool with 3500 and a SB.

I hate how inflated shyt is now that if you don’t get 4000 you ain’t elite.

Like niccas looked for year at Rivers as an elite QB and he only been to the playoffs like 4 times
We are a run-first run team. I dont really care about volume numbers, they are meaningless in todays era. It's about keeping drives extended and scoring TDs and avoiding crucial picks.

I'm happy with last year's numbers if the interceptable balls drop and we dont stall on crucial drives. That's on kyle too. Too many games last year came to last minute needlessly, need that Beli killer instinct. No reason the second seattle game shouldve came to that Dre stop, we dominated them.

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
We are a run-first run team. I dont really care about volume numbers, they are meaningless in todays era. It's about keeping drives extended and scoring TDs and avoiding crucial picks.

I'm happy with last year's numbers if the interceptable balls drop and we dont stall on crucial drives. That's on kyle too. Too many games last year came to last minute needlessly, need that Beli killer instinct. No reason the second seattle game shouldve came to that Dre stop, we dominated them.

No reason we should’ve lost the first Sea game too if guys caught passes.

Some picks are on Jimmy..... I can’t spin or deny that.

But there were quite a few that where on the WRs for having butterfingers and the ball just popping up and becoming jump balls

I think those picks are the ones that angered me the most

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
Most of these players are just bodies for camp because ford, bosa, aiyuk, dwelley, etc are not practicing.

There are very few spots where these players can make the team. dline in particular - dion jordan is not making the team.

Basically there are only few spots that are points of contention:

3rd QB on the 53 (Beathard), I think they go 3 - Jimmy, Mullens, CJ
8 or 9 olinemen if Garland cant go. I think 8 and they put a center on PS - Trent, Tomlinson, Garland, Brunskill, Skule, McKivitz, Compton, McG
3 or 4 TE, I think they carry 4 even though Id prefer 3, especially since Juice is hurt - Kittle, Reed, Dwelley, Woerner
5 RB, imo Hasty makes the team and Wilson goes to PS - Mostert, Coleman, McKinnon, Hasty, Juice
6 or 7 WR, probably 7 considering all the injuries, I think Tavon Austin makes it - Deebo, Aiyuk, Pettis, Taylor, Bourne, Jennings, Austin

4 or 5 LB, I think they go 5, altho I think Al-Shaair is trash - Warner, Kwon, Dre, Walker, Al-Shaair/Nzeocha

10 DB group is set - Kwaun,JaTaylor, Verrett, Sherm, Spoon, Eman, Ward, Tartt, Moore, Marcell Harris. Tim Harris is not making the team, the only question is whether Cyprien makes the team, and if he does, I figure he makes it instead of the 5th LB. Id take anyone over Al-Shaair tbh :manny:

DL (8) is the hardest one, I think they let Blair start on IR. Ford, Bosa, Sol, DJ, Hyder, Armstead, Kinlaw, Street. It's a toss up between Street and Givens, I think they go with Street because hes more versatile. Givens will probably be picked up by another team, we just have too many inside DLs lol

3 ST Gould, Nelson, Mitch

4 on IR eligible to comeback after 6 games - Richie James, Blair, Julian Taylor, Richburg

This is 53. There is zero room for bums like Dion Jordan and so on. DL is the hardest one to make cuts at. I can see a scenario where they take Blair off IR and put Austin on PS. Or find a way to get Givens on the 53.

FaTaL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Most of these players are just bodies for camp because ford, bosa, aiyuk, dwelley, etc are not practicing.

There are very few spots where these players can make the team. dline in particular - dion jordan is not making the team.

Basically there are only few spots that are points of contention:

3rd QB on the 53 (Beathard), I think they go 3 - Jimmy, Mullens, CJ
8 or 9 olinemen if Garland cant go. I think 8 and they put a center on PS - Trent, Tomlinson, Garland, Brunskill, Skule, McKivitz, Compton, McG
3 or 4 TE, I think they carry 4 even though Id prefer 3, especially since Juice is hurt - Kittle, Reed, Dwelley, Woerner
5 RB, imo Hasty makes the team and Wilson goes to PS - Mostert, Coleman, McKinnon, Hasty, Juice
6 or 7 WR, probably 7 considering all the injuries, I think Tavon Austin makes it - Deebo, Aiyuk, Pettis, Taylor, Bourne, Jennings, Austin

4 or 5 LB, I think they go 5, altho I think Al-Shaair is trash - Warner, Kwon, Dre, Walker, Al-Shaair/Nzeocha

10 DB group is set - Kwaun,JaTaylor, Verrett, Sherm, Spoon, Eman, Ward, Tartt, Moore, Marcell Harris. Tim Harris is not making the team, the only question is whether Cyprien makes the team, and if he does, I figure he makes it instead of the 5th LB. Id take anyone over Al-Shaair tbh :manny:

DL (8) is the hardest one, I think they let Blair start on IR. Ford, Bosa, Sol, DJ, Hyder, Armstead, Kinlaw, Street. It's a toss up between Street and Givens, I think they go with Street because hes more versatile. Givens will probably be picked up by another team, we just have too many inside DLs lol

3 ST Gould, Nelson, Mitch

4 on IR eligible to comeback after 6 games - Richie James, Blair, Julian Taylor, Richburg

This is 53. There is zero room for bums like Dion Jordan and so on. DL is the hardest one to make cuts at. I can see a scenario where they take Blair off IR and put Austin on PS. Or find a way to get Givens on the 53.
Tavon Austin? He can’t go on the practice squad

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
Because he’s a vet, only players who are in their first 3 years can go on the practice squad unless they changed the rules for corona
:dwillhuh: they changed it for this season. you can have like 4 or 6 vets and 4 or 6 protected players whom other teams can't poach aside from two day period after games

FakeNews

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The 49ers had their final practice of training camp on Sunday. Of course, they will have more practices over the next two weeks, but those sessions will be done in regular-season mode. That means only the first 20 minutes or so — the warm-up period — will be open to reporters.

That’s enough time to figure out who is practicing, who is rehabilitating and who is absent altogether, but not much else. All of which is to say, practice reports are finished until the spring and it’s time to recap what’s been seen so far.

Here are 10 things I learned from the 12 49ers sessions that were open to the media:

1. If Jordan Reed stays healthy, then …
I know, I know. Given Reed’s thick medical file — including seven documented concussions — that’s a big if and fans probably would be wise to curb their expectations. Reed hasn’t appeared in 16 games since, well, he’s never appeared in 16 games since entering the league in 2013. The most he’s played is 13 in 2018 and he didn’t appear in any last season after sustaining a preseason concussion.

Now that all of that prefacing is out of the way, Reed has looked very good in his scant practice repetitions. With George Kittle, Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk sidelined for Friday’s Week 1 warm-up, Reed was the top target on the field. He caught five passes and was Jimmy Garoppolo’s favorite receiver on the quarterback’s best drive.

I recently interviewed another team’s scout about the 49ers. When he began discussing the offense, the first name out of his mouth was Reed’s. Kittle already creates all sorts of matchup problems for defenses. Having Reed on the field would double that burden. He’s as precise a route runner as advertised and is a bit bigger than I imagined he’d be. If he can remain healthy, Reed would mitigate the 49ers’ lack of depth at receiver.

Reed on Sunday said he indeed considered retirement after his seventh concussion a year ago. He said watching the Super Bowl re-ignited his desire to play. And now?

“It’s just been the most fun I’ve had playing football ever,” he said. “Honestly. I don’t know if it’s because I didn’t play all season last year or what. But since I’ve been out there I’ve been having a blast and I’ve just been really grateful.”

2. Trent Williams is worthy of all the hype
As discussed in last week’s mailbag, the 49ers have upgraded at left tackle and the guy they are replacing, Joe Staley, was the team’s best offensive lineman in the last quarter-century. That’s how impressive Williams has been in his first 49ers training camp.

Few players live up to their hype, but Williams has done that so far. He has the quick feet that Staley possessed. What jumps out is his power. Williams can stagger pass rushers with a one-arm blow. That’s something no one has seen around here since Larry Allen’s two-year stint at guard. And by that point in his career, Allen had all the mobility of a metal dumpster.

Williams is more like a Ferrari. (Too soon?)

3. Fred Warner might have been the 49ers’ top defensive player
Warner received some comparisons to Seahawks linebacker Bobby Wagner when Warner was coming out of BYU in 2018. The comparisons seemed a bit farfetched at the time considering that Wagner has made the Pro Bowl every season since 2014. Today they are more realistic and Warner looks poised to make the leap from very good NFL middle linebacker to one of the top players at his position.

Warner, who was always strong in coverage, added more pop to his tackling last season. This year he’s been the most menacing player on the practice field and has had aggressive encounters with Raheem Mostert, Kittle, Tavon Austin and anyone he can hit.

More than anyone else, Warner seems ravenous for the regular-season to begin. Coaches had to keep him on the sideline Friday because they were worried about him pushing too hard. Warner, fellow linebacker Dre Greenlaw and defensive tackle Javon Kinlaw didn’t practice Sunday. Defensive coordinator Robert Saleh said he was not concerned with any of their absences.

The other top defensive player in training camp: Strong safety Jaquiski Tartt, who was excellent in coverage and who had an interception of Garoppolo on Sunday. He has just three in five NFL seasons. Bolstering that number in 2020 will boost his free-agent stock in March.

4. Center is the shakiest spot on the team
That will improve when Ben Garland returns from his ankle injury. But Kyle Shanahan said Thursday that Garland remains “week to week” for his return and that his injury was worse than some of the other ankle sprains the 49ers have seen recently.

Garland’s sprain came early in training camp and it’s given the 49ers a long taste of what the offense would look like without him. It’s not great. Daniel Brunskill mostly has filled in with the first-team unit and it’s clear he needs more seasoning. Bad snaps — including the shotgun snap that sailed over Garoppolo’s head Friday — are too common.

His backup, Hroniss Grasu, is a journeyman who was getting shoved around by the 49ers’ talented interior rushers when he first arrived. (Though it should be noted that Grasu has improved in this regard.) Another backup, Ross Reynolds, suffered a bone bruise in his knee and will miss more time.

The 49ers brought in another center, Dakoda Shepley, for Sunday’s practice, which immediately had a domino effect. Shepley played center with the second-team group, which allowed Grasu to play with the first-stringers and for Brunskill to see his most snaps at right guard since training camp opened. Brunskill, Tom Compton and perhaps rookie Colton McKivitz are competing for the starting job at right guard.

5. The team’s toughest decision could be which defensive linemen to keep
There might not be as many waiver claims following cut-down day this year because a) with no preseason, scouts haven’t been able to assess other team’s players and b) with practice squads viewed as extensions of the 53-man roster, teams will prioritize players familiar with their own systems.

A possible exception when it comes to pirating the 49ers’ roster: defensive line. Other teams know how deep the 49ers are at that position. They usually keep 10 defensive linemen. Assuming Ronald Blair (knee) makes the 53-man squad, the last two spots might come down to Kevin Givens, Kentavius Street, Darrion Daniels and Dion Jordan.

A good argument could be made for keeping any of the two. Jordan has made the fewest number of plays of those four. However, he’s the only one from that group who lines up at a spot, defensive end, that had major depth issues last season and that is currently dealing with injuries.

6. Running back is the team’s second deepest position
A testament to the 49ers’ strength at running back: When they waived undrafted rookie Salvon Ahmed last week, he was immediately snapped up on waivers by the Dolphins.

The 49ers’ first three tailbacks seem set: Mostert, Tevin Coleman and Jerick McKinnon. The questions are whether the team keeps four tailbacks and, if so, whether No. 4 is Jeff Wilson or rookie JaMycal Hasty?

Could the team get tailback No. 5 onto the practice squad? The Seahawks always seem to be lurking around the waiver wire for 49ers leftovers and Wilson, in particular, would seem to fit their mold for running backs. Of course, Seattle had a chance to pounce on Wilson when he didn’t make the 49ers’ initial roster last year and passed on the opportunity.

7. Nick Bosa and Dee Ford don’t need a lot of practice to prepare for the season
OK, that’s something I learned in last year’s training camp, though it applies to this one, too. A year ago at this time, Bosa was out with a high-ankle injury while Ford was dealing with tendonitis in his knees.

Neither played in the preseason yet both were effective in the Week 1 win — a game dominated by the 49ers defense — in Tampa. Bosa and Ford had a sack apiece. (Ford aggravated his knee tendonitis while practicing on Youngtown State’s artificial turf women’s soccer field between that game and Week 2 and wasn’t the same for the rest of the season.)

This year Ford is dealing with what the 49ers have called a minor calf strain while Bosa has an undisclosed muscle strain in his leg. Like last year, both are expected to be on the field Sept. 13 against the Cardinals.

Bosa’s injury is a bit of a mystery. However, he was seen on the sideline Sunday giving pass-rush tips to Kerry Hyder. Bosa was doing everything at a slow pace for instructional purposes, but he did not seem hindered in any way.

8. Deebo Samuel has a shot at playing Week 1 against the Cardinals
The 49ers’ top wideout has been doing his most extensive rehabilitation work — sprinting, changing directions, etc. — in recent days. He also caught some stationary passes from the quarterbacks during individual drills Sunday.

Samuel, however, has yet to return to practice, a prerequisite for being on the field on Sept. 13. In fact, there are a lot of players who probably need to resume practicing at this time next week in order to have a shot at playing against Arizona.

So far, the only players ruled out for the Cardinals game are: center Weston Richburg (knee), receiver Richie James (wrist), defensive lineman Jullian Taylor (knee) and receiver Jalen Hurd (knee).

9. The 49ers’ undrafted streak continues
Heading into training camp, the conventional thinking was that undrafted rookies would be hurt the most by the oddball, pandemic-altered offseason. It certainly hasn’t looked that way on the field as Hasty, Daniels, fullback Josh Hokit, defensive back Jared Mayden and tight end Chase Harrell have been impressive, perhaps in that order.

Of course, whether any makes the 53-man roster remains a big question mark. With no preseason games, teams can more easily stash little-known rookies on their practice squad. The good news for the 49ers is that their undrafted rookies look like they could contribute if called upon.

10. The 49ers don’t need crowd noise for intensity
It might seem odd on television if the Cardinals-49ers Week 1 game is played in a silent stadium. The NHL playoffs began without any artificial crowd noise — either in the stadium or on the broadcast — and the games had the atmosphere of an Olympic qualifying match between Greece and Belarus.

The electricity on the field on Sept. 13, however, will be intense whether there’s noise or not. It certainly was during Friday’s warm-up in Levi’s Stadium. Defensive line coach Kris Kocurek, for example, is just as loud, fiery and relentless on game days as he is in drills, and he could be heard bellowing to his linemen before every play.

The 49ers haven’t faced another team since Feb. 2. After they lost that game the players said they were itching to play again, that they didn’t want the season to end. All of which is to say, there will be plenty of electricity in Levi’s Stadium in two weeks no matter the ambiance.

“I’ll be honest, once the games do start, you don’t really feel the fans anyway,” Saleh said Sunday. “It’s a very, very intense football game and you’re so focused on your job that the crowd noise and all that stuff is just — for the lack of a better (description), it’s there but it’s not.”

— Reported from Santa Clara

FakeNews

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The 49ers have one more training-camp practice on the field at their team facility on Thursday before wrapping up the two-week grind with a session inside Levi’s Stadium on Friday. After that, there will be two weeks of game preparation before the Arizona Cardinals arrive for the Sept. 13 season opener.

That means that position battles have entered their stretch run, so we’ll set the stage for roster cutdown day by examining the risers and fallers since camp opened. Although this list is generally focused on “bubble” names, it also features players in contention for specific roles.

Cornerback
Riser: Jason Verrett

Entering camp, the last time we’d seen Verrett on a football field didn’t make for a pretty sight. He briefly replaced injured cornerback Ahkello Witherspoon in Week 3 of 2019 against Pittsburgh, only to get scorched and immediately replaced by Emmanuel Moseley. Verrett clearly wasn’t 100 percent at the time, and given his extensive injury history, it was fair to be skeptical of his ability to ever get fully right.

But here we are late in 2020 camp and Verrett certainly looks right. He’s very near his peak running speed of over 22 mph and, most importantly, he’s attacking and breaking passes up with visible confidence. Wednesday’s practice saw an overpowering PBU against receiver Tavon Austin. Verrett flexed in celebration. He’ll make the roster. There’s a new question now: Will Verrett start opposite Richard Sherman?

Faller: Tim Harris

This past offseason, whenever the 49ers brass was asked about the secondary’s future beyond the 2020 season — when several starters are slated to become free agents — Harris’ name invariably came up. Coach Kyle Shanahan and general manager John Lynch were excited about their 2019 sixth-round draft pick, who’s 6-foot-1, has bulked up to 205 pounds and remains an intriguing future option.

Harris looks the part and he’s done nothing to lose good standing. But Verrett’s rise makes it harder to see a roster spot for Harris. Perhaps a big surprise, such as Harris over Witherspoon on the final 53-man list, is in store. A more likely path: The 49ers will try to retain Harris on their practice squad. —David Lombardi

Defensive line
Risers: Kentavius Street and Kevin Givens

The 49ers typically keep 10 defensive linemen. The first eight this year seem like safe choices: Arik Armstead, Ronald Blair, Nick Bosa, Dee Ford, Kerry Hyder, D.J. Jones, Javon Kinlaw and Solomon Thomas.

Who gets the last two spots? Street looks like he’s finally gotten beyond the ACL tear he suffered in 2018. He’s powerful and explosive, and he’s been a handful for interior blockers in both one-on-one drills and team periods. The 49ers also might need his heft at nose tackle should D.J. Jones be forced to leave a game early in the season.

Givens, meanwhile, is typical of modern-day defensive tackles. At 6-1, he’s smaller than a traditional interior lineman. But he’s low to the ground, plays with good leverage and hits home by being quicker than his opponent. He’s precisely the kind of attacking interior lineman his position coach, Kris Kocurek, wants. Givens could fill the role Sheldon Day had last season.

Faller: Dion Jordan

This will be a tough call for the 49ers since the team doesn’t have an abundance of speed rushers behind Ford, who battled injuries all of last season and who suffered a calf strain midway through this training camp. Jordan fits that role with a 6-6, 284-pound physique that looks impressive.

He’s had a few would-be sacks in practice. But they’ve mostly come at the expense of reserve offensive tackles and he hasn’t won many of his repetitions in one-on-one drills as he typically takes the same outside route to the quarterback each time. Maybe Jordan provides the 49ers with needed edge depth. Or maybe they merely call free agent Damontre Moore if they get into trouble at the position. —Matt Barrows

Guard
Riser: Colton McKivitz

The fifth-round pick mostly played tackle at West Virginia. The 49ers mainly have used him at guard in training camp. He struggled to stay in front of speedy defensive tackles like Givens and Thomas early, but he’s proven to be a quick study and has been noticeably sturdier in Week 2 than he was in Week 1.

Injuries at center have forced Daniel Brunskill to line up there, which has diluted the anticipated training-camp battle between him and veteran Tom Compton at right guard. McKivitz is unlikely to overtake Compton before Week 1. However, his steady, improving learning curve bodes well for the future.

Faller: Tom Compton

The 49ers wanted an upgrade over journeyman Mike Person at right guard but ended up signing another journeyman in Compton. The starting offensive line is very strong at left tackle, left guard and right tackle. And when Weston Richburg returns, it should be set at center as well. Right guard, however, remains a weak spot.

Compton has not stood out as either a run blocker or pass protector. He was manhandled by Arik Armstead in one-on-one pass-rush drills Wednesday. He fared better against Thomas but still had trouble with the defensive lineman’s quickness. —MB

Running back
Riser: JaMycal Hasty

The rookie out of Baylor has flashed frequently in practice. Hasty’s most noticeable skill is his ability to change direction on a dime. That’s especially pronounced on inside-zone runs into crowded quarters and during one-on-one route-running drills, during which Hasty routinely cooks linebackers.

Now, this isn’t to say that Hasty is a lock to make the 53-man roster. It’s tougher to evaluate true elusiveness and run-blocking capabilities without preseason games and the live-tackling opportunities that come with them. It’s also worth pointing out that Hasty seemed unsure of his alignment on at least one play during Wednesday’s practice (quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo made sure to help out).

But those are expected rookie struggles and Hasty has undoubtedly established himself as a potential offensive weapon.

Faller: Jeff Wilson

To be clear, Wilson has not done anything to lower his stock during training camp. He’s still a powerful, decisive runner — and at a huge moment last season, we learned that he can catch the ball, too. But roster spots are limited, and assuming the 49ers end up carrying only four running backs, explosive practice showings from Hasty inevitably threaten Wilson’s spot.

If Shanahan feels that his backfield needs physicality and veteran experience, Wilson will likely get the nod. But if Shanahan believes that Hasty’s explosiveness is mandatory roster material, there’s a good chance that Wilson would be the odd man out. —DL

Strong safety
Riser: Johnathan Cyprien

He was one of the reserve defensive backs who shined in Wednesday’s red-zone drill. He caught a tipped pass for an interception on one play, then thumped slippery wideout Tavon Austin short of the goal line on another.

Cyprien, 30, would provide the 49ers with experience at strong safety, something they may need considering starter Jaquiski Tartt has missed 19 games due to injury over the last three seasons. Cyprien doesn’t have Tartt’s ability in coverage. But he’s familiar with the defensive scheme from his four seasons in Jacksonville, and he had 128 tackles in 2016.

He also doesn’t seem interested in joining the 49ers’ practice squad. When asked about possibly being one of the veterans on this year’s practice squad, he said: “To be honest with you, no. I wouldn’t be on a practice squad.”

Faller: Marcell Harris

The 49ers would prefer to stick with Harris since he’s a homegrown product still on his rookie contract. He got a nice review this week from defensive coordinator Robert Saleh, who used “awesome” and “fantastic” in describing the third-year player. Still, Harris didn’t make the initial roster last season. He was promoted from the practice squad in October. Then he had a number of prominent hiccups when he had to fill in for Tartt during a critical stretch in December.

Harris also missed practice Wednesday with an undisclosed injury. That allowed Cyprien to take all the snaps at strong safety with the second-team defense. Cyprien made the most of that opportunity. —MB

Tight end
Riser: Jordan Reed

For the first part of training camp, Reed worked alone on a side field, so it was difficult to make any judgments about the former Pro Bowler. Was he in shape after a year away? (Reed missed all of 2019 after suffering a concussion in the preseason.)

Reed has now fully participated in two practices and it’s suddenly easy to see what all the hype was about. He looks to be in excellent shape. He’s made some great catches. During Wednesday’s one-on-one drills, Reed hauled in a deep ball with Tartt draped over him. A healthy Reed, George Kittle and Charlie Woerner — a rookie who’s made his share of impressive catches — would form an imposing 49ers tight end trio.

Faller: Ross Dwelley

Dwelley has been out with a foot injury for a few days. The coaching staff loves Dwelley’s versatility and dependability, but if Reed is healthy, where would Dwelley fit into the 53-man mix? The 49ers typically carry only three tight ends, with one of those spots reserved for the blocking specialist (Woerner’s role).

Perhaps this calls for an exception and the 49ers will keep four tight ends this season, but there does seem to be a possibility that Dwelley is the odd man out of a crowded mix. This season’s expanded practice squads may influence roster decisions like this one. —DL