Run The Damn Ball Kyle!!! 2020 49ers Offseason Thread.

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
49ers 53-man roster projection: Who misses cut with week left in training camp?

I don’t see any value in keeping 3 QBs and Beathard on the roster.

I rather have faith that Jimmy will be going going forward about as much faith as ever over team has on there decade long starters.

Then just let Mullins be the backup and if something do happen then like most teams, let Mullins start and temporarily sign that Hoyer ass niccas for back up back up till Jimmy returns

jwonder

Banned
Daps
Reppin
DADE County
49ers 53-man roster projection: Who misses cut with week left in training camp?

I don’t see any value in keeping 3 QBs and Beathard on the roster.

I rather have faith that Jimmy will be going going forward about as much faith as ever over team has on there decade long starters.

Then just let Mullins be the backup and if something do happen then like most teams, let Mullins start and temporarily sign that Hoyer ass niccas for back up back up till Jimmy returns
CJ is a wasted roster spot for someone that would actually contribute. Another player that picked too high that should have been a UDFA:francis:

Bryan Danielson

Daps
Reppin
giphy.gif

Training camp for us always be like on the show Spartacus the Gladiator training grounds at House of Batiatus in Capua:unimpressed:

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
Both Bosa and Yuk probably sitting out till season opener. Yuk has a mild hamstring strain. Not worried about Bosa since I dont think he needs much practice. Aiyuk on other hand :lupe:

edit: nvm, Jordan Reed DID practice today :blessed: and apparently looked very good in 1 on 1s

Bryan Danielson

Daps
Reppin
Both Bosa and Yuk probably sitting out till season opener. Yuk has a mild hamstring strain. Not worried about Bosa since I dont think he needs much practice. Aiyuk on other hand :lupe:

Jordan Reed is yet to practice :stopitslime: not sure why hes taking so long to practice.

I really think with all the BULLshyt changes they bring to the NFL. They should really up the active rosters to like 60-70.

fukk that 53 or now 58 man shyt

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
I really think with all the BULLshyt changes they bring to the NFL. They should really up the active rosters to like 60-70.

fukk that 53 or now 58 man shyt
they did extend practice squad and let teams put vets on them, but its kinda convoluted. even 'protected' vets can be poached off PS if another team really wants them.

Bryan Danielson

Daps
Reppin
they did extend practice squad and let teams put vets on them, but its kinda convoluted. even 'protected' vets can be poached off PS if another team really wants them.

oh I didn’t know about the latter in your post. That’s crazy. But I still think they should do more

FakeNews

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Doug B. asks: Has Javon Kinlaw been the biggest disappointment of training camp thus far?

Has Kinlaw been sensational in training camp? No, absolutely not. Has he been a disappointment? No, I don’t think you can say that, either.

I think he’s exactly what the 49ers should have been expecting. One of The Athletic’s draft guru Dane Brugler’s first notes about Kinlaw reads, “raw power courses through his limbs.” Those first two words, “raw power,” are a great way to describe where he is right now. Kinlaw is powerful but in need of refinement.

It’s notable that Kinlaw was credited with six tackles for loss in 12 games last season at South Carolina. That’s not a lot for the 14th overall draft pick. The defensive tackle picked ahead of him, Derrick Brown (seventh overall) had 12.5 and the defensive tackle selected after him, Ross Blacklock (40th overall), had 15.5. A lot of that had to do with Kinlaw dealing with double teams all season (He had 10 tackles for loss the year before, for example.) But you also see a lack of counter moves and finishing moves from Kinlaw in practice.

The good news for the 49ers is that all the foundational elements you’d want in a rookie defensive tackle — size, strength, a high motor — are evident, too. He’s got one of the best position coaches in the NFL in Kris Kocurek and there already have been some signs of improvement. On Sunday, for instance, he finally beat guard Laken Tomlinson in a one-on-one pass-rush battle.

Later in the practice, Kinlaw appeared to be pooped. It was as if he was moving in mud. He seems to have been affected by the hot, heavy weather more than any other 49er, which is ironic because he grew up in Washington, D.C., (hot, humid) and South Carolina (hotter, even more humid). My take is that he has been paying the price for trying to outmuscle his opponents on every snap of training camp.

“He’s getting his feet under him. I think he’s trying to find his way,” defensive coordinator Robert Saleh said after Sunday’s practice. “I think our offense is an S.O.B. to go against on a day-in and day-out basis with how fast and how physical they are. I think it is a shock to a rookie defensive lineman when they come in here and he’s going against guys like Laken Tomlinson and he’s got Trent Williams trying to reach him on the back side. … It’s tough, but he’s coming along every day. He’s made a small improvement every single day, so the focus for him: continue to get better and hit the ground running come Week 1.”

It’s important to remember that Saleh never is effusive about rookies during the summer. Last year, he called Nick Bosa — who, unlike Kinlaw, got off to a hot start — “just a bobblehead running around.” My thought on Kinlaw is that his technique is going to improve incrementally as the season goes on, that he’s going to benefit when the 49ers get into regular-season practice mode next week and that he’ll be fine against the Cardinals on Sept. 13.

Ian C. asks: If Jason Verrett continues to regain his old form and actually wins the starting cornerback spot, would the 49ers use Emmanuel Moseley as the nickel cornerback until K’Waun Williams comes back?

That’s an option. Moseley played nickel last summer and looked good doing so. But I don’t think that will be the case for a few reasons. The first is that Williams shouldn’t be out for too much longer. He’ll probably miss the remainder of training camp but should be back before the Cardinals visit in Week 1.

Second, Jamar Taylor probably will be the team’s first choice at nickel after Williams. Third, while Verrett has made tremendous progress in his comeback from multiple season-ending injuries, Moseley has been the best and most consistent cornerback among those contending for the starting role. Which is to say, he and Richard Sherman are the most likely Week 1 duo at outside cornerback.

Daniel C. asks: When is Ben Garland due back? And in your opinion, who will be the starting center and right guard for week 1?

John Lynch said last week that Garland could miss two weeks of practice, so he should be back in time for the Cardinals game. That likely means Garland and Tom Compton are the center and right guard combination for that game. Why? Because Garland’s absence has meant Brunskill has had to fill in at center instead of dueling with Compton at right guard.

Brian M. asks: If Brandon Aiyuk misses time, do you think the 49ers are comfortable with the guys they have at receiver, or would they acquire another? For the record, I’m not suggesting Antonio Brown. Rolling on the floor laughing.

They might bring in another receiver to help them get through practices, but they’ve already signed three veteran receivers in recent weeks — Austin, J.J. Nelson and Jaron Brown. So if they were eyeing a secret weapon at that spot, they’d probably have signed him already.

The 49ers are more optimistic now than they were, say, three weeks ago that Deebo Samuel could be ready for the Sept. 13 game against the Cardinals. I remain a bit skeptical considering he doesn’t appear poised to return to practice and we’re just 19 days from the Cardinals game. Samuel still would need time to get back into football shape.

That said, the 49ers seem more apt to place him on the initial 53-man squad instead of on an injury list, which would wash out the first half of the season. Aiyuk’s injury also didn’t appear to be a long-term one, although we’ll have to wait for his prognosis.

Huey P. asks via Twitter: Which “depth” players have impressed so far, particularly edge rushers?

The team’s edge rushers, depending on the defensive package, have been: Bosa, Ford, Armstead, Jordan, Kerry Hyder and Jonathan Kongbo. The 49ers seem to have a number of guys like Hyder who can play outside or inside depending on the situation. Armstead, Ronald Blair and Solomon Thomas also fit that mold.

The question is whether the 49ers have any quality speed rushers beyond Ford. To answer your question, none has exactly impressed. Jordan has been fine in that role, but it’s noteworthy that he’s mostly been going against second-string tackles. Damontre Moore, meanwhile, is waiting by the phone.

As far as other depth pieces, safety Johnathan Cyprien and receiver Tavon Austin seem to be on the bubble between making the 53-man squad and being asked to join the practice squad. The depth at cornerback seems better than it’s been in a long time with Sherman, Moseley, Verrett, Witherspoon and Taylor having starting experience on the outside. Tarvarius Moore seems more confident in Year 2 as an NFL free safety.

Eric T. asks: Any word on Justin Skule? With so many injuries I haven’t heard anything about him.

He looks decidedly better than he did in last year’s training camp when he looked, well, like a rookie. He’s been taking snaps at guard, too. The 49ers seem to want every offensive lineman not named Trent Williams and Mike McGlinchey to be able to play multiple spots.

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
Sorry for the wait, waiting for the roster to settle down after some movement.

Let's take a look at the our cornerbacks,

Cornerbacks

Richard Sherman - Former rival turned defensive team captain. Richard Sherman had another excellent year in 2019. He was one of the best cornerbacks in the NFL in coverage and made some excellent tackles to boot. Sherman is a leader by example and by voice. He provides not only a great veteran skillset but acts as a mentor to the younger defensive backs and it shows as he elevates the depth around him. I expect another very good year so long as he can keep pace against father time itself which tends to lurk as players get closer to their mid-30s. As such, I believe Richard Sherman will play to the best of his ability as he is looking for one more contract for him to end his career either here or elsewhere.

Skills: A
Performance: A-
Potential: C

Overall: A-

Emmanuel Mosely- 2018 UDFA. Surprise of 2019. Went undrafted due to his lack of size but he plays much bigger than his listings. He is fast enough to keep up with the games speediest receivers and never seems out of place much. He sometimes loses in the tackling game to larger receivers but that is a limitation to his size. He has the potential to become a good starter in the league and should hopefully stay on the team for decade or more hopefully. He is one of the biggest wins in recent undrafted free agency health permittting

Skills: B
Performace: B+
Potential: B+

Overall: B+

Akhello Witherspoon - After a great rookie season and bad sophomore season. Akhello looked to be on a star trajectory before getting hurt. Even so Witherspoon while a willing tackler suffers from sloppy technique and while he was elite athleticism his on the ball awareness is so-so. He needs to have a great season as it is a contract year for him. As such I wouldn't be against bringing him back long term as he has elite size and even with his flaws is a solid depth piece at worst and a spot starter if need be which is on par for a 3rd round pick.

Skills: B-
Performance: C+
Potential: C+

Overall C+ YseJ Adjustment: B-

K;Waun WIlliams - Over the past 2 years K'Waun was emerged as one of the better nickel corners in the league, he is solid in coverage and is maybe the surest tackler on a team. He's what you call a glue guy. Someone that keeps things together even though they don't show on the stat sheet. He's an exceptional special teams player as well when asked to be.

Overall C+

Jamar Taylor - Former Seattle Corner. Jamar Taylor will likely be in competition for the last starting corner spot on the team. While not spectacular as a player in Seattle he has veteran experience as a starter and can contribute in special teams. We could supplant Jason Verrett if Verrett cannot stay healthy.

Skills: C
Performance: C
Potential: C-

Overall: C

Jason Verrett - Oft injured but talented cornerback. Jason Verrett was a highly touted 1st round pick 6 years ago but injuries have kept him fulfilling that potential. With that said, Verett is a depth piece and special teams player and costs next to nothing to keep. Signs of camp show him to be looking like one of the teams best corners but his health is spotty and unreliable. Considering how often this group gets injured it will be key he stays healthy this season if he wants to stay on the team past this season.

Perfromance: D+

Overal: C-

Dontae Johnson - Not a great corner but a solid special team and veteran presence. Dontae knows the team, the system, the coaches and can provide emergency depth as he does have quite a few games of starting experience, though you hope it never comes to that.

Skills: D
Performance: D
Potential: D

Overall: D

Overall: C-

Tim Harris - 2019 6th Round Pick. Tim Harris was placed on injured reserve last year after a groin pull. Not sure what to make of him at this point. Injuries have been an issue in college and the pros. If he can stay healthy he has considerable upside and can likely supplant Jason Verrett and Jamal Taylor but if he gets hurt again, they will likely stash him away another year as to protect him from being poached.

Grade: INC

Unit Analysis

On the top end the talent is clear, Sherman, Mosely and Witherspoon are the clear starters with K'Waun being the primary backup and nickel corner. Beyond that it's anyone's guess. Either way the depth needs to stay loose and warmed up as San Francisco will use those depth guys in certain lineups or as a way to spell starters that are injured or sore or whatever happens over the course of the season. If healthy this group can compete for a Championship but if for some reason Sherm and Mosely get injured, I would be a little nervous considering the depth is made up of also rans and neophytes.

Unit Grade: B

Last edited:

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
Sorry for the wait, waiting for the roster to settle down after some movement.

Let's take a look at the our cornerbacks,

Cornerbacks

Richard Sherman - Former rival turned defensive team captain. Richard Sherman had another excellent year in 2019. He was one of the best cornerbacks in the NFL in coverage and made some excellent tackles to boot. Sherman is a leader by example and by voice. He provides not only a great veteran skillset but acts as a mentor to the younger defensive backs and it shows as he elevates the depth around him. I expect another very good year so long as he can keep pace against father time itself which tends to lurk as players get closer to their mid-30s. As such, I believe Richard Sherman will play to the best of his ability as he is looking for one more contract for him to end his career either here or elsewhere.

Skills: A
Performance: A-
Potential: C

Overall: A-

Emmanuel Sanders - 2018 UDFA. Surprise of 2019. Went undrafted due to his lack of size but he plays much bigger than his listings. He is fast enough to keep up with the games speediest receivers and never seems out of place much. He sometimes loses in the tackling game to larger receivers but that is a limitation to his size. He has the potential to become a good starter in the league and should hopefully stay on the team for decade or more hopefully. He is one of the biggest wins in recent undrafted free agency health permittting

Skills: B
Performace: B+
Potential: B+

Overall: B+

Akhello Witherspoon - After a great rookie season and bad sophomore season. Akhello looked to be on a star trajectory before getting hurt. Even so Witherspoon while a willing tackler suffers from sloppy technique and while he was elite athleticism his on the ball awareness is so-so. He needs to have a great season as it is a contract year for him. As such I wouldn't be against bringing him back long term as he has elite size and even with his flaws is a solid depth piece at worst and a spot starter if need be which is on par for a 3rd round pick.

Overall C+

K;Waun WIlliams - Over the past 2 years K'Waun was emerged as one of the better nickel corners in the league, he is solid in coverage and is maybe the surest tackler on a team. He's what you call a glue guy. Someone that keeps things together even though they don't show on the stat sheet. He's an exceptional special teams player as well when asked to be.

Overall C+

Jamar Taylor - Former Seattle Corner. Jamar Taylor will likely be in competition for the last starting corner spot on the team. While not spectacular as a player in Seattle he has veteran experience as a starter and can contribute in special teams. We could supplant Jason Verrett if Verrett cannot stay healthy.

Performance: C

Overall: C

Jason Verrett - Oft injured but talented cornerback. Jason Verrett was a highly touted 1st round pick 6 years ago but injuries have kept him fulfilling that potential. With that said, Verett is a depth piece and special teams player and costs next to nothing to keep. Signs of camp show him to be looking like one of the teams best corners but his health is spotty and unreliable. Considering how often this group gets injured it will be key he stays healthy this season if he wants to stay on the team past this season.

Perfromance: D+

Overal: C-

Dontae Johnson - Not a great corner but a solid special team and veteran presence. Dontae knows the team, the system, the coaches and can provide emergency depth as he does have quite a few games of starting experience, though you hope it never comes to that.

Skills: D
Performance: D
Potential: D

Overall: D

Overall: C-

Tim Harris - 2019 6th Round Pick. Tim Harris was placed on injured reserve last year after a groin pull. Not sure what to make of him at this point. Injuries have been an issue in college and the pros. If he can stay healthy he has considerable upside and can likely supplant Jason Verrett and Jamal Taylor but if he gets hurt again, they will likely stash him away another year as to protect him from being poached.

Grade: INC

Unit Analysis

On the top end the talent is clear, Sherman, Mosely and Witherspoon are the clear starters with K'Waun being the primary backup and nickel corner. Beyond that it's anyone's guess. Either way the depth needs to stay loose and warmed up as San Francisco will use those depth guys in certain lineups or as a way to spell starters that are injured or sore or whatever happens over the course of the season. If healthy this group can compete for a Championship but if for some reason Sherm and Mosely get injured, I would be a little nervous considering the depth is made up of also rans and neophytes.

Unit Grade: B
emmanuel sanders plays CB ? :pachaha: nice writeup tho. I think you're underrating kwaun

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
emmanuel sanders plays CB ? :pachaha: nice writeup tho. I think you're underrating kwaun

Thanks for the catch, man!!! I think K'Waun is really good too, the ratings also take into account snaps played relative to the position, I was teetering between a B- and C+ overall. But I think I agree and adjusted it because his role is super important.