Run The Damn Ball Kyle!!! 2020 49ers Offseason Thread.

FaTaL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I do miss this Russ though @FaTaL

main-qimg-b6bb7f87525610f211ccb34b88e75fc6

Thankfully he can’t run like that anymore, what a nightmare

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
Ok guys sorry for the hiatus, let's take a look at the hogs up front, out offensive line.

Tackles

Trent Williams - Taking over the legend Joe Staley, Trent is 5 years younger and still has prime years left. While health has been an issue for him in recent years, he is still a top 10 left tackle in the NFL as his is now and a top 5 tackle when healthy. Elite at run and pass protection (when healthy) he is as good as any of the NFLs best and his job in SF will be easier as he has a very solid left guard in Laken Tomlinson so he doesn't have to account for below average guards like he did in Washington. I hope Kyle an company can bring him along slowly as it may be best to do that as not to rist any premature injuries this season. I still think we may need to pick another future bookend in next years draft or at least someone to compete with some of the younger guys who can fill that spot but Trent may find a new resurgence on a winning team and culture.

Skills: A
Performance: B
Potential: C+

Overall: B+

Mike McGlinchey - 2017 1st round draft pick. It's clear that McGlinchey will not be taking over for Joe Staley and that is fine. People tend to pick on his so-so pass blocking but honestly this isn't a strength of a lot of right tackles in the NFL, and it doesn't matter because he is an ELITE run blocker. I have seen McGlinchey barrel 25, sometimes 50 yards upfield to make a block. He doesn't block as much as he seems to mow defenders down at the point of attack. He has the athleticism to pull when he needs to on counters and seal edges on screens. History has proven Mike McGlinchey was the best offensive lineman on that board after Quinton Nelson and the only comparable talent was Orlando Brown who the Ravens committed a 1982 NY subway robbery by getting him the 3rd round. But that's another story. With Trent Williams and McGlinchey at each end, this is as solid a tackle situation as it is.

Skills:B+
Perfprmance: A
Potential: B

Overall B+

Justin Skule - 2019 6th Round draft pick. After the injury to Mike McGlinchey for a few games lear Justin Skule was asked to start in place of Joe Staley and played well. I don't expect him too see a lot of action this year but I think he has cemented his position as 1st up if anyone gets injured as he has tackle size and experience at guard and tackle in college. While I never saw him as a great athlete, it's clear he has worked on his physique over the course of the season as he dropped his spare tire and bulked up some. He's a smart football player with good football IQ. Reminds me a little of Adam Snyder, he'll be an ok starter on a team but an excellent option off the bench.

Skills: C+

Overall: C+

Shon Coleman - A favorite of Kyle Shanahan. Coleman was penciled in as the primary swing tackle but after an injury ended his season prematurely, it ended up not being the case. Shon has a 3rd round pedigree but at 28 and with an injury history. Having not had a healthy season since 2017 and also with the Skule being better than expected and having Brunskill who can both play tackle and guard, Shon is going to have to look dominant otherwise he'll be cut and it will likely be the end of his football career. Time will tell.

Skills: C-
Peformance: F
Potential: D+

Overall: D+

Guards

Laken Tomlinson - Former 1st round pick from the Lions, Laken was considered a bust prior to arriving in San Francisco. While he may have been overdrafted. Tomlinson has developed in to a solid left guard. A better run than pass blocker, he has become an above average guard allowing on 3 sacks over the course of the season and cleaning up his penalties of which were a big problem for him. Coming into the last year of a 3 year contract, he can improve even more as he would want to be seen as one of the leagues premier guards either here or elsewhere. But as it stands Laken is a proven commodity and veteran.

Skills: B

Overall: B

Daniel Brunskill - Practice squad lineman from the Falcons came to San Francisco in 2018. Due to injuries to the offensive line he had some starts last last season where he has proven to be a more than adequate starter. Having a similar athletic build to Joe Staley he filled in admirably in his stead, providing both solid run blocking and pass protection. He signed a 675,000 dollar contract to stay with the team another season. Which is is pennies on the dollar for someone who can fill in at any guard or tackle spot in a pinch and do it at starter quality. I think this will likely be the last year we can keep him that cheap and it may be prudent to lock him in after this season as he is still young at only 26 by the start of the season. With that said, I believe with the departure of Mike Person, Daniel Brunskill will likely be the teams starting guard. He knows the system and can be at worst as good as Person if not an upgrade with some upside.

Performance: B-

Overall B-

Colton McKivitz 2020 5th round rookie. Though drafted as a tackle, his short arms and so-so athleticism will make him a guard on this team. It's clear like Brunskill he can back up at both guard and tackle and that is where his vaule lies. This will be a development year where he continues to get an NFL physique and learn the finer points of Shanny's blocking schemes. Look great teams are built on depth and he can develop into a fine depth piece but as of now, I wonder if we could have spent it on a pick with some more upside as a opposed to a low floor/ceiling guy.

Performance: C-
Potential: C-

Overall: C-

Tom Compton - Journeyman lineman last seen on the Jets. He seems like an bottom of the roster linemen who is an insurance policy in case we lose too many guys. May be a camp cut though. With that said he has starting experience.

Skills: D
Performance: D+
Potential: F

Overall: D-

Ross Reynolds - Developmental Guard from Iowa. Practice squad player. Was considered a dark horse candidate to make the roster by some but I think there are more proven guys ahead of him in the pecking order

Skills: F
Performance: F

Jaryd Jones Smith - Camp body. He has elite size though with long arms. Many say he doesn't play as big as his size is though. He is a long shot to make the roster.

Performacne: F
Potential F

Koki Amichia - Another camp body. Seems like the team is loading up on them to keep starters from getting hurt.

Potential F

Centers

Weston Richburg - When healthy is among the leagues best centers physical at the point of attack and athletic enough to block down linebackers upfield. when necessary. With that said, he wasn't healthy for a lot of the last 3 years and he can now be considered brittle which is something you don't want to hear from a starter, especially one as well paid as Richburg. This is a make or break season for him as I beieve the 49ers can get from under his contract after this year.

Skills: A-
Performance: C
Potential: C

Overall: B-

Ben Garand - While not as talented as Richburg, Garland has proven himself a starting level center in Richburgs absence and can fill in at either guard position if need be. Ben is an excellent backup and fine starter at center and will be that this season as well

Performance: B+

Position Overview: This is the best offensive line the team has seen since the Harbaugh days with Trent and Mike being as good as any duo of tackles in the league and solid players at Center and Guard, health permitting this will be a bulldozing unit in run plays as well as having guys who are at least competent pass protectors at worst. Even if injuries occur the depth is 2nd to none. Plus we have some potential talent waiting in the wings. This line I think was a little underrated last year but I'd rather that than fail to meet lofty expectations. One thing though, Center is going to be a position of need next year regardless of Richburg's health.

Unit Grade: B+

Last edited:

Dat916nigga

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Ok guys sorry for the hiatus, let's take a look at the hogs up front, out offensive line.

Tackles

Trent Williams - Taking over the legend Joe Staley, Trent is 5 years younger and still has prime years left. While health has been an issue for him in recent years, he is still a top 10 left tackle in the NFL as his is now and a top 5 tackle when healthy. Elite at run and pass protection (when healthy) he is as good as any of the NFLs best and his job in SF will be easier as he has a very solid left guard in Laken Tomlinson so he doesn't have to account for below average guards like he did in Washington. I hope Kyle an company can bring him along slowly as it may be best to do that as not to rist any premature injuries this season. I still think we may need to pick another future bookend in next years draft or at least someone to compete with some of the younger guys who can fill that spot but Trent may find a new resurgence on a winning team and culture.

Skills: A

Overall: B+

Mike McGlinchey - 2017 1st round draft pick. It's clear that McGlinchey will not be taking over for Joe Staley and that is fine. People tend to pick on his so-so pass blocking but honestly this isn't a strength of a lot of right tackles in the NFL, and it doesn't matter because he is an ELITE run blocker. I have seen McGlinchey barrel 25, sometimes 50 yards upfield to make a block. He doesn't block as much as he seems to mow defenders down at the point of attack. He has the athleticism to pull when he needs to on counters and seal edges on screens. History has proven Mike McGlinchey was the best offensive lineman on that board after Quinton Nelson and the only comparable talent was Orlando Brown who the Ravens committed a 1982 NY subway robbery by getting him the 3rd round. But that's another story. With Trent Williams and McGlinchey at each end, this is as solid a tackle situation as it is.

Skills:B+
Perfprmance: A

Overall B+

Justin Skule - 2019 6th Round draft pick. After the injury to Mike McGlinchey for a few games lear Justin Skule was asked to start in place of Joe Staley and played well. I don't expect him too see a lot of action this year but I think he has cemented his position as 1st up if anyone gets injured as he has tackle size and experience at guard and tackle in college. While I never saw him as a great athlete, it's clear he has worked on his physique over the course of the season as he dropped his spare tire and bulked up some. He's a smart football player with good football IQ. Reminds me a little of Adam Snyder, he'll be an ok starter on a team but an excellent option off the bench.

Skills: C+

Overall: C+

Shon Coleman - A favorite of Kyle Shanahan. Coleman was penciled in as the primary swing tackle but after an injury ended his season prematurely, it ended up not being the case. Shon has a 3rd round pedigree but at 28 and with an injury history. Having not had a healthy season since 2017 and also with the Skule being better than expected and having Brunskill who can both play tackle and guard, Shon is going to have to look dominant otherwise he'll be cut and it will likely be the end of his football career. Time will tell.

Peformance: F
Potential: D+

Overall: D+

Guards

Laken Tomlinson - Former 1st round pick from the Lions, Laken was considered a bust prior to arriving in San Francisco. While he may have been overdrafted. Tomlinson has developed in to a solid left guard. A better run than pass blocker, he has become an above average guard allowing on 3 sacks over the course of the season and cleaning up his penalties of which were a big problem for him. Coming into the last year of a 3 year contract, he can improve even more as he would want to be seen as one of the leagues premier guards either here or elsewhere. But as it stands Laken is a proven commodity and veteran.

Overall: B

Daniel Brunskill - Practice squad lineman from the Falcons came to San Francisco in 2018. Due to injuries to the offensive line he had some starts last last season where he has proven to be a more than adequate starter. Having a similar athletic build to Joe Staley he filled in admirably in his stead, providing both solid run blocking and pass protection. He signed a 675,000 dollar contract to stay with the team another season. Which is is pennies on the dollar for someone who can fill in at any guard or tackle spot in a pinch and do it at starter quality. I think this will likely be the last year we can keep him that cheap and it may be prudent to lock him in after this season as he is still young at only 26 by the start of the season. With that said, I believe with the departure of Mike Person, Daniel Brunskill will likely be the teams starting guard. He knows the system and can be at worst as good as Person if not an upgrade with some upside.

Performance: B-

Overall B-

Colton McKivitz 2020 5th round rookie. Though drafted as a tackle, his short arms and so-so athleticism will make him a guard on this team. It's clear like Brunskill he can back up at both guard and tackle and that is where his vaule lies. This will be a development year where he continues to get an NFL physique and learn the finer points of Shanny's blocking schemes. Look great teams are built on depth and he can develop into a fine depth piece but as of now, I wonder if we could have spent it on a pick with some more upside as a opposed to a low floor/ceiling guy.

Performance: C-
Potential: C-

Overall: C-

Tom Compton - Journeyman lineman last seen on the Jets. He seems like an bottom of the roster linemen who is an insurance policy in case we lose too many guys. May be a camp cut though. With that said he has starting experience.

Skills: D
Performance: D+

Overall: D-

Ross Reynolds - Developmental Guard from Iowa. Practice squad player. Was considered a dark horse candidate to make the roster by some but I think there are more proven guys ahead of him in the pecking order

Jaryd Jones Smith - Camp body. He has elite size though with long arms. Many say he doesn't play as big as his size is though. He is a long shot to make the roster.

Performacne: F
Potential F

Koki Amichia - Another camp body. Seems like the team is loading up on them to keep starters from getting hurt.

Potential F

Centers

Weston Richburg - When healthy is among the leagues best centers physical at the point of attack and athletic enough to block down linebackers upfield. when necessary. With that said, he wasn't healthy for a lot of the last 3 years and he can now be considered brittle which is something you don't want to hear from a starter, especially one as well paid as Richburg. This is a make or break season for him as I beieve the 49ers can get from under his contract after this year.

Skills: A-
Performance: C

Ben Garand - While not as talented as Richburg, Garland has proven himself a starting level center in Richburgs absence and can fill in at either guard position if need be. Ben is an excellent backup and fine starter at center and will be that this season as well

Performance: B+

Position Overview: This is the best offensive line the team has seen since the Harbaugh days with Trent and Mike being as good as any duo of tackles in the league and solid players at Center and Guard, health permitting this will be a bulldozing unit in run plays as well as having guys who are at least competent pass protectors at worst. Even if injuries occur the depth is 2nd to none. Plus we have some potential talent waiting in the wings. This line I think was a little underrated last year but I'd rather that than fail to meet lofty expectations. One thing though, Center is going to be a position of need next year regardless of Richburg's health.

Unit Grade: B+

Pass protection was the biggest issue last year imo. Especially along the interior. If the OL could be just average at pass blocking, it’ll be a huge boost for the offense

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
Pass protection was the biggest issue last year imo. Especially along the interior. If the OL could be just average at pass blocking, it’ll be a huge boost for the offense

I think a lot of it came from the litany of injuries and the shuffling we had to do over the course of the season. Its actually pretty impressive how much the line held up given how many people got hurt for extended periods of time.

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
I think a lot of it came from the litany of injuries and the shuffling we had to do over the course of the season. Its actually pretty impressive how much the line held up given how many people got hurt for extended periods of time.

Agreed.