Rosenberg Gets Props For Dissin Nicki But Benzino Is Hated For Stating The Obvious

Pop123

Peace
Daps
Reppin
NULL
lol @ "Hip Hop Weekly"

LOL @ print period

rip-print-media.jpg

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
^ half of it is a fallacy, the other half is irrelevant. so lets..

basically that.

this is why white folks always prosper in the end.:merchant:

dudes is always more concerned with irrelevant chit, rather than the task at hand.:wow:

The thing that negates any of Benzino's points is that for the four years leading up to that sudden 'revelation' he had, he and his magazine had done nothing but big up everything Em had something to do with. It just reeked of hypocrisy... you're so concerned with Eminem 'damaging hip-hop', but six months earlier, y'all had him in a dead heat with Jay-Z for best MC of the present era (see issue no. 150)? It was a bullshyt angle and so CLEARLY a publicity move. This is why some of us are saying that literally ANYBODY but the Source woulda been a more reliable voice in the matter.

Back when The Source used to shyt on Vanilla Ice in the "good old days", it was cause they felt he was truly a fraud and a joke and an insult to the better artists who were being denied exposure. And guess what? All that shyt was true. And at the same time, that was the Source's stance almost immediately. Not after they spent years tellin' their readers how great he was.

Benzino/Dave Mays' relationship, as I've seen it described by one of the founding writers/music editors Reginald C. Dennis... is that two whiteboys started this mag in Boston. One (Jon Shecter) was a hip-hop fan who was still conscious of the fact that he was a white guy from the suburbs. The other one (Mays) was almost ashamed of it and would associate himself with anything/one opposite of that to prove how "down" he was. This led to him getting down with a crew from Boston known as the RSO, led by a dude named Ray who took advantage of him and eventually took his magazine over. Ray (with Mays as a loyal lackey) alienated the writing team, drove all the founding members out, and used it as a vehicle for his own means. Not saying that's gospel truth, but when you look at how shyt panned out... :yeshrug:

none of this(the stuff thats actually true) negates anything.

and i dont know why people assume that everything that was printed by the source was cosigned by benzino. lol. just ridiculous.

lol @ acting like benzino was the downfall of the source. benzino & mays' new mag came out and quickly surpassed the source. not to mention that the source was at its peak until they called out the great white hope.

and yes, benzino's input on the magazine made it better. he added that authentic element to the mag, thats lacking in most other hip-hop rags.

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
basically that.

this is why white folks always prosper in the end.:merchant:

dudes is always more concerned with irrelevant chit, rather than the task at hand.:wow:

none of this(the stuff thats actually true) negates anything.

and i dont know why people assume that everything that was printed by the source was cosigned by benzino. lol. just ridiculous.

lol @ acting like benzino was the downfall of the source. benzino & mays' new mag came out and quickly surpassed the source. not to mention that the source was at its peak until they called out the great white hope.

and yes, benzino's input on the magazine made it better. he added that authentic element to the mag, thats lacking in most other hip-hop rags.

Benzino can say to his credit that when he was at the helm, the Source saw its most successful years. THAT he can say. But even with that, he can't say it without also saying it fell the fukk off with him at the helm too.

He didn't add "authenticity" to it at all... that mag already had that reputation without him running shyt. Before the end of '94, which is when they had their first mass exodus due to some conflict-of-interest shyt involving him, they were already the rap mag with the best content that was highly respected. Their ratings were already the most coveted, they had brutally honest writers who didn't cut cards when it came to subpar music, even if it was made by great artists, their articles were always in-depth. This continued after Benzino came along mind you, and it was still a great mag for years after that... UNTIL the questionable shyt started happening. shyt like 4 1/2 mic reviews for a Made Men album. shyt like tabloid style cover stories that didn't even include the artists the articles were about. shyt like Benzino's beefs with artists taking up half the magazine. Face it bruh, he drove that mag into the ground.

I mentioned those things about Vanilla Ice and the Reg C. Dennis thing in response to things being said in the thread. People talkin' this "if this was back in the day" shyt like if it was the '90s, people woulda co-signed it any more than they did in '03. It woulda been just as hypocritical then. In the '90s, The Source had the integrity to be a New York based publication, and even with Ice Cube lashing out at New York artists AND journalists (including The Source), STILL let him speak his piece in an article and STILL gave the Westside Connection a 4.5 because the album was that good. The Source of 2003 was discrediting artists that they'd just got done biggin' up, and gettin' literally anyone they could find to disparage them in articles.

El Dinero

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What did Benzino do? who did he put on? him and this Rosenberg dude bitter about the Source

Em atleast put some brothers on, helped blow 50 up made money for Dre now Dre got bigger business, 50 got bigger business and they put more brothers on.

Plus Eminem grinded, he was from the bottom and grinded to the top

at the same time to suggest he is in the top 5 is preposterous

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Benzino can say to his credit that when he was at the helm, the Source saw its most successful years. THAT he can say. But even with that, he can't say it without also saying it fell the fukk off with him at the helm too.

He didn't add "authenticity" to it at all... that mag already had that reputation without him running shyt. Before the end of '94, which is when they had their first mass exodus due to some conflict-of-interest shyt involving him, they were already the rap mag with the best content that was highly respected. Their ratings were already the most coveted, they had brutally honest writers who didn't cut cards when it came to subpar music, even if it was made by great artists, their articles were always in-depth. This continued after Benzino came along mind you, and it was still a great mag for years after that... UNTIL the questionable shyt started happening. shyt like 4 1/2 mic reviews for a Made Men album. shyt like tabloid style cover stories that didn't even include the artists the articles were about. shyt like Benzino's beefs with artists taking up half the magazine. Face it bruh, he drove that mag into the ground.

I mentioned those things about Vanilla Ice and the Reg C. Dennis thing in response to things being said in the thread. People talkin' this "if this was back in the day" shyt like if it was the '90s, people woulda co-signed it any more than they did in '03. It woulda been just as hypocritical then. In the '90s, The Source had the integrity to be a New York based publication, and even with Ice Cube lashing out at New York artists AND journalists (including The Source), STILL let him speak his piece in an article and STILL gave the Westside Connection a 4.5 because the album was that good. The Source of 2003 was discrediting artists that they'd just got done biggin' up, and gettin' literally anyone they could find to disparage them in articles.

the source never fell off with benzino at the helm. white folks turned on it and it got blackballed by the industry to the point that sponsors began to pull out of the mag and benzino & mayes had to be removed. all that other chit youre talking is propaganda. and im a real talk type dude so all those controversial issues in '03-04 were some of my favorites. only white people complained about the "quality" during this time. go figure.

i say he added authenticity by bringing a more hood element when he became more vocal. before that, i always felt like it was a bunch of herbs writing at the source(and my hypothesis turned out to be accurate). thats what opened up the lane for magazines like "murder dog" to be relevant.

its funny how we're talking about all this and strayed far away from the actual subject at hand.

What did Benzino do? who did he put on? him and this Rosenberg dude bitter about the Source

Em atleast put some brothers on, helped blow 50 up made money for Dre now Dre got bigger business, 50 got bigger business and they put more brothers on.

Plus Eminem grinded, he was from the bottom and grinded to the top

at the same time to suggest he is in the top 5 is preposterous

benzino put alot of people on.

50 was gonna blow regardless.

i dont see the point of this post. where are you going with this? come back to the topic.

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
the source never fell off with benzino at the helm. white folks turned on it and it got blackballed by the industry to the point that sponsors began to pull out of the mag and benzino & mayes had to be removed. all that other chit youre talking is propaganda. and im a real talk type dude so all those controversial issues in '03-04 were some of my favorites. only white people complained about the "quality" during this time. go figure.

i say he added authenticity by bringing a more hood element when he became more vocal. before that, i always felt like it was a bunch of herbs writing at the source(and my hypothesis turned out to be accurate). thats what opened up the lane for magazines like "murder dog" to be relevant.

its funny how we're talking about all this and strayed far away from the actual subject at hand.

Wacky...

You always bring one of two elements into something when people start talkin' about whether some shyt was wack or not. It's either race, or how "hood" somethin' was. The Source fell the fukk off, hood or not. I was readin' that mag when you were learnin' how to read... it went from the best hip-hop mag there was into a glorified tabloid. It's not propaganda, that's what happened. It was the shyt for years until it became garbage. Their articles became garbage, their rating system became garbage, shyt was just barely better than Vibe by the time Benzino/Mays got ousted.

I'm not even gonna acknowledge that you brought Murder Dog into this conversation... :pachaha:... STOP.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
:beli: i learned how to read when the source was still a mere pamphlet.

their ratings system was ALWAYS garbage.

what i said about mags like murder dog having a lane because the source still left alot to be desired is 100% fact. whether you like the source & dislike murder dog personally is neither here nor there.

in fact, this whole side-argument is neither here nor there. whenever this topic comes up, all people do is derail the convesation with irrelevant matters. and then we wonder why we're in the predicament that we're in.

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
:beli: i learned how to read when the source was still a mere pamphlet.

their ratings system was ALWAYS garbage.

what i said about mags like murder dog having a lane because the source still left alot to be desired is 100% fact. whether you like the source & dislike murder dog personally is neither here nor there.

in fact, this whole side-argument is neither here nor there. whenever this topic comes up, all people do is derail the convesation with irrelevant matters. and then we wonder why we're in the predicament that we're in.

Nah homie... that ratings system was the only one in any urban magazine that anyone gave a shyt about. ARTISTS even took that shyt to heart. nikkas caught FEELINGS about those ratings and reviews. You ain't ever seen rappers writing into one of those generic Right On-style mags, or Rap Pages, or any of that shyt... or referencing in their lyrics how many mics they deserved or how many mics they should get. That's the only time I've ever seen people like me and you caring or talkin' about a rating for an album in a magazine. That shyt held weight like none other before or after. And it STOPPED mattering by the time Zino/Mays got kicked outta there.

But either way man... we've already covered the main thing throughout the thread. You wanted to know why people gave Benzino the :childplease: with that whole agenda, and that got covered. It's cause it came from an unreliable source and a hypocritical standpoint. There it is.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Eminem came up thru the battle scene and is a monster on the mic. Yes he has corny ass singles, but you can't question his talent. No fake ass, titties and trying to be lady gaga lite to get attention.

Non Sequitur

Creep.
Daps
Reppin
The 3rd Degree
It's cause it came from an unreliable source and a hypocritical standpoint. There it is.

This.

Eminem came up thru the battle scene and is a monster on the mic. Yes he has corny ass singles, but you can't question his talent. No fake ass, titties and trying to be lady gaga lite to get attention.

And this.

They could find Nazi paraphernalia in Eminem's basement right now and it still wouldn't bring him down to Nicki Minaj level (as an MC, artist, whatever).

Not even a big Eminem fan, but compared to Nicki Minaj? Sheeeiiit...

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps

this has absolutely nothing to do with anything.

my goodness.:facepalm:

Nah homie... that ratings system was the only one in any urban magazine that anyone gave a shyt about. ARTISTS even took that shyt to heart. nikkas caught FEELINGS about those ratings and reviews. You ain't ever seen rappers writing into one of those generic Right On-style mags, or Rap Pages, or any of that shyt... or referencing in their lyrics how many mics they deserved or how many mics they should get. That's the only time I've ever seen people like me and you caring or talkin' about a rating for an album in a magazine. That shyt held weight like none other before or after. And it STOPPED mattering by the time Zino/Mays got kicked outta there.

But either way man... we've already covered the main thing throughout the thread. You wanted to know why people gave Benzino the :childplease: with that whole agenda, and that got covered. It's cause it came from an unreliable source and a hypocritical standpoint. There it is.

your arguments are pointless. the bottom line is, people are too worried about the messenger, rather than the message. people wouldve prefered a big time rapper to step up and speak out. unfortunately, there was nobody willing to be the isiah thomas of hip-hop during that time period.

your average fan doesnt even remember the made men fiasco unless they keep up with magazines. the 1st word that comes out of alot of peoples mouths regarding this situation are "benzino cant rap", as evidenced by this thread. people are stupid man. i hope you all enjoy the BET special five years from now where they crown eminem the goat over 2pac, rakim, big, jay, nas, cube, kool g rap, ll cool j, krs, etc.

and youve done nothing but go off-topic in here. but i'll respond anyway. of course the ratings system held more weight than the other mags. it was the premiere rap magazine. its that simple. its not like the opinions of the writers SPECIFICALLY held any weight.

people stopped caring about ratings because they smartened up. me personally, i never gave a flying f*ck about their ratings. i mean, i naturally wanted the albums i liked to get a high rating in every magazine. thats about as far as it goes.

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
and youve done nothing but go off-topic in here. but i'll respond anyway. of course the ratings system held more weight than the other mags. it was the premiere rap magazine. its that simple. its not like the opinions of the writers SPECIFICALLY held any weight.

I covered the topic from the get-go... some of the other replies were in direct response to things said in the thread... what more do you want?

It's already been said... you don't wanna see it... the message was bullshyt because the messenger was full of shyt, simple as that. Somebody's damaging hip-hop when you ain't cool wit' em and you got an album to promote, but they were one of the greatest six months ago. Bullshyt.

The only message that really held any weight was that at one time, this rapper made some racially-charged tapes about a girl. THAT was the only thing of merit that came out of the whole thing. Because at least with that, it was something discovered (about a year into this whole ordeal) that had everyone step back and say :leon: The rest of that shyt prior, nobody batted an eye to, cause it was bogus and it came from the same mag that spent years givin' him props.

Cliche

From Where?!?!
Daps
Reppin
Canada
You can't put Benzino in a conversation about actual rappers and musicians. Even with payola and his own magazine propping up his sorry ass career he couldn't go aluminum. He did however managed to taint the name of what had been one of the very few respected publications within hip-hop at the time. So I guess he's got that going for him.

I mean, The Source had already fallen off it's highest point by the time that beef came along, but it was still a very long-running and successful magazine about hip-hop music and culture... and then it wasn't.

I had no idea who the fukk Peter Rosenberg is, and had to look up some articles on him when this shyt happened. He called a pop song a pop song, what's the problem?

I don't think I've ever even seen a thread about her music on here. It's all album sales, fake controversy and then this beef nonsense.