Rock's Preferred City Series (PCS): Charlotte or Raleigh?

Which do you prefer?

• Charlotte

Votes: 52 63.4%
  • Raleigh

Votes: 23 28.0%
  • Different Carolina City

Votes: 7 8.5%

• Total voters

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
lol..

Of course I didnt venture around the whole city. Only downtown.

If I was to move there, I would live downtown anyway. shyt was nice
Both Charlotte and Raleigh are overwhelmingly suburban style cities. Charlotte is a bigger city, so it has a bigger, more lively downtown......and it also has more cookie cutter suburban areas...

But both are also dope for what they are. They aren't DC, they aren't Chicago, etc. A mistake many newcomers make, are coming here from where they are from, and comparing them to where they came from instead of appreciating them for who they are. For their respective weight classes nationally, I'd say they are elite cities within their classes. Neither are elite American cities yet, they arent big or developed enough, but they are growing in a positive trajectory...

I made the mistake of moving here and lamenting how it wasn't like _____, but when I started enjoying the things that made them unique, I began enjoying em. I fukk with em both. They really aren't that much different, Charlotte is basically a bigger Raleigh with more people from South Carolina there 😂...

So it has a more southern vibe to it, whereas Raleigh has more of a bougie nature. Raleigh whites are more high brow, liberal intellects, Charlotte whites are more Nascar rednecky, and I dont think either are better or worse, white people are white people. But the collective persona of the whites in both places are different...

Charlotte is more international and culturally diverse, closer to what you'd see in established major cities than Raleigh is; Raleigh at this point has a few pockets of that cultural mash but it's not as widespread yet...

People in Raleigh have a much better fashion sense. Hip hop in both is mid but both have good local music scenes. Charlotte is a little more dangerous in its hoods but someone who has experienced the hoods of Detroit or Atlanta would note how comfortable the hoods are in Charlotte. And most of Charlotte really isn't dangerous anyway...

Raleigh is even safer, so apply the same dynamic I just ascribed to Charlotte, and double it for Raleigh. These are safe cities fir black people, both with large, established black communities, black middle class, and wealthy blacks. More of an education and hustler's element in Raleigh, more of a blue collar element in Charlotte...

But physically the cities look almost identical in build and development, and both are mainly popping downtown with a handful of areas of activity around outer parts of each city...

I loved living in Charlotte, I've really loved living here in Raleigh more though...

TMBlue

Pro
Daps

I haven't found Charlotte's "local" culture. It feels like a mixture of other cities, but not it's own place. The city is growing way too fast for its infrastructure to keep up with, which is why 77 south of uptown constant traffic jam. They decriminalized defecating in public places, so you see human feces on the street quite frequently; which likely ties into there being so many homeless people Uptown. Those are the issues that standout the most. Overall it's not a bad place, but I wouldn't make it my permanent home.

TMBlue

Pro
Daps
Please let's hear em, because as a guy who isn't native to Carolina your perspective is sorely needed in this thread. These Carolina natives gas Charlotte out the ass, and you know I fukk with Charlotte too but some balance is sorely needed...

Let me add then: the job market isn't that diverse outside of banking. Also, if you're young, black and single, there isn't much nightlife for you.

Last edited:

L. Deezy

Veteran
Daps
I haven't found Charlotte's "local" culture. It feels like a mixture of other cities, but not it's own place. The city is growing way too fast for its infrastructure to keep up with, which is why 77 south of uptown constant traffic jam. They decriminalized defecating in public places, so you see human feces on the street quite frequently; which likely ties into there being so many homeless people Uptown. Those are the issues that standout the most. Overall it's not a bad place, but I wouldn't make it my permanent home.
I did see a lot of homeless people on the benches and around. Oh ok

I get what you are saying. I live in DC, Charlotte not quite the gentrified parts of DC like where I live, but it resembles parts of it on a smailler scale. I guess thats why l love it there. I can get just enough DC vibe without the crowds

Phitz

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This is funny, because Charlotte is 15% less densely populated than Raleigh. Charlotte is mostly suburbia, as is Raleigh, except Charlotte has MORE suburban areas......in the "city" limits...

Charlotte is a city but it definitely has a different influence from white people, that whole Nascar redneck shyt is much bigger in Charlotte...

You can call Raleigh an overgrown college town, that just means it's cosmopolitan and educated. Most major cities have a strong educational infrastructure, Charlotte is one of the rare ones who do not...

Raleigh has a strong downtown for the size of the city. Charlotte is bigger, so it's downtown is better. Charlotte has a light rail line that isn't accessible to most residents, but at least they have it. Raleigh has a pretty good transit system otherwise...

Charlotte is definitely more of a "country" personality in accents and style, Raleigh is more bougie, so that's a difference between the two. And I'm not saying either are bad, it's just a noted contrast. The cult shyt you speak of, I've seen in both. They are both "cult-ish", as are most people about their cities----->have you met people from New York or Atlanta? Those people treat their cities like a cult 🤣 🤣...

Texans too 🤣 🤣 🤣...

To say Raleigh operates like a college town in hyperbolic though. Chapel Hill is a college town. Durham is much more of a college town. Raleigh operates like a growing city new to the national stage, that just happens to have a bunch of colleges and educated people here...

Nah, not just that, Raleigh seems religious cult friendly, like real life cults, similar to Ashville NC, but Ashville is still country and mountains but they have those people who into their witchcraft(white people voodoo there,). Yeah Charlotte natives have that similar group think mentality like certain Texans do, but it's still a decent clean, pleasant city. It's still somewhat dangerous, with too many ATL refugees and even locals. It's also somewhat influenced by South Carolina and vice versa which is ok. I like upstate SC area all the way up to Rock HIll.

Jparker

Innocence lost in the EAST
Daps
Reppin
Durham,NC
This is funny, because Charlotte is 15% less densely populated than Raleigh. Charlotte is mostly suburbia, as is Raleigh, except Charlotte has MORE suburban areas......in the "city" limits...

Charlotte is a city but it definitely has a different influence from white people, that whole Nascar redneck shyt is much bigger in Charlotte...

You can call Raleigh an overgrown college town, that just means it's cosmopolitan and educated. Most major cities have a strong educational infrastructure, Charlotte is one of the rare ones who do not...

Raleigh has a strong downtown for the size of the city. Charlotte is bigger, so it's downtown is better. Charlotte has a light rail line that isn't accessible to most residents, but at least they have it. Raleigh has a pretty good transit system otherwise...

Charlotte is definitely more of a "country" personality in accents and style, Raleigh is more bougie, so that's a difference between the two. And I'm not saying either are bad, it's just a noted contrast. The cult shyt you speak of, I've seen in both. They are both "cult-ish", as are most people about their cities----->have you met people from New York or Atlanta? Those people treat their cities like a cult 🤣 🤣...

Texans too 🤣 🤣 🤣...

To say Raleigh operates like a college town in hyperbolic though. Chapel Hill is a college town. Durham is much more of a college town. Raleigh operates like a growing city new to the national stage, that just happens to have a bunch of colleges and educated people here...
Durham ain’t a college town breh Duke has its own village and NCCU folk barely pop out in the city. The pocket of areas people actually want to congregate at in Raleigh are where the colleges are so you’ll get more of a college feel there. Plus there about like 3 or 4 colleges in Raleigh :skip:

It truly depends on what pocket you tryna put yourself in honestly

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
Durham ain’t a college town breh Duke has its own village and NCCU folk barely pop out in the city. The pocket of areas people actually want to congregate at in Raleigh are where the colleges are so you’ll get more of a college feel there. Plus there about like 3 or 4 colleges in Raleigh :skip:

It truly depends on what pocket you tryna put yourself in honestly
I havent found this to be true at all...

Durham is "more" a college town because of the influence Duke has over the city, more than any college over Raleigh. Durham is smaller, you feel Duke's presence more. Granted, I'd agree Durham isn't a true college town but it's more of one than The R...

There are plenty of areas people hang out in Raleigh where the universities aren't 🤣 it's way too hyperbolic to call Raleigh a college town...

Jparker

Innocence lost in the EAST
Daps
Reppin
Durham,NC
I havent found this to be true at all...

Durham is "more" a college town because of the influence Duke has over the city, more than any college over Raleigh. Durham is smaller, you feel Duke's presence more. Granted, I'd agree Durham isn't a true college town but it's more of one than The R...

There are plenty of areas people hang out in Raleigh where the universities aren't 🤣 it's way too hyperbolic to call Raleigh a college town...
That’s Duke health system not Duke university though very very different things. I think neither city in no aspect is a college town

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
That’s Duke health system not Duke university though very very different things. I think neither city in no aspect is a college town
I will say, how you prefer Durham to Raleigh, I've never met anyone who does. Granted, I'm sure you know more people here than I do in general, and logically of course it makes sense that there are people who share your opinion, but I've met plenty of people who don't like Durham...

I'm currently working along Hillsborough Rd and I just had two coworkers in the last week, both who live in Durham, tell me how they prefer Raleigh...

They both are black women...

I just can't dig Durham like that 🤣 it's cool enough but I'm not crazy about it...

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
Yall better buy property in either city before Asians come through and gentrify the place like they doing in ATL
Whites already have done that gentrification number in both...

Both cities are and have been growing more diverse for awhile now. Charlotte is around ~7% Asian, ~16% Hispanic; Raleigh around ~5% Asian, ~13% Hispanic. Both are big enough now, that there are a few Hispanic dominated areas, whereas Asians mostly live amongst white areas (there are a few more Asians in black Charlotte areas though)...

Definitely have noticed how the Hispanic population is soaring in NC in general, they are here and keep coming. Most of them live in black areas, and there aren't enough of them in either yet for there to be a bunch of Hispanic hoods---->but there are a couple in both...
Asians and Latinos/Hispanics

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
Come get done of these non driving ass people out of Charlotte! :picard: Bro it’s bad now. People are insane on these highways. You can have them Raleigh bruhs