Rock's Preferred City Series (PCS): Charlotte or Raleigh?

Which do you prefer?

• Charlotte

Votes: 52 63.4%
  • Raleigh

Votes: 23 28.0%
  • Different Carolina City

Votes: 7 8.5%

• Total voters

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
That shyt sucks 🤣 Memphis has the best BBQ in history...

I do agree with this. I would say Charlotte is a borderline Top 20 city in America...

Top 5 being NY, LA, Chi, DC, SF...

6-10 being The Bean, Philly, Houston, Atlanta, Dallas...

11-17 being Seattle, Miami, Detroit, MSP, Phx, SD, Denver...

Then the next group of cities is where Charlotte lands, somewhere in the group that includes Bmore, Pdx, StL, Atx, Orlando, Tampa. So if Clt isn't yet a Top 20 city it's damn close and you could make the argument it's over all the cities in this group...

Fayetteville isn't great but I prefer it to Durham or Winston...

And there are THOUSANDS of cities in this country. So the 18th best out of over a THOUSANDS.

I think that’s a good thing. Again, if people wanna go to those other cities. Fine

But if you ain’t going to MIA, NY, or LA.

Everything else still ain’t what they dream it to be

Pazzy

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL
See post above yours

I got relatives out there :yeshrug: went down to the charlotte area in 2008. Not inside the city limits i think but close enough to see downtown from where I was. Dont know if yall changed up but whats with folks treating walmart like the corner store standing outside doing ????

Last edited:

Phitz

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Fact but all those cities are garbage, only Durham is redeemable but I'd take Fayetteville over every one of those you listed 🤣...
you must be mad

Ashville is great for out doors stuff, and is a progressive spot like Chapel Hill
Gastonia is a suburb at worst

Durham is in the RDU metro
Winston is close to mountains in the triad and close enough to Charlotte.

Fayetteville has nothing, like zero out there. It's in the middle of a desert. I read somewhere they have high STD rate.

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
I got relatives out there :yeshrug: went down to the charlotte area in 2008. Not inside the city limits i think but close enough to see downtown from where I was. Dont know if yall changed up but whats with folks treating walmart like the corner store standing outside doing ????

From 2008 to now 2024?:dahell:

Uptown don’t even look the same no more:mjlol:

Pazzy

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL
From 2008 to now 2024?:dahell:

Uptown don’t even look the same no more:mjlol:

I didnt go to downtown charlotte but it was right by the interstate whatever number near it. You guys have very wide looking housing and are more spaced out which im most definitely not yet to seeing that. And then I hear that you guys bad areas are like the suburbs or look like them... :yeshrug:

3rd Koast Kang

Superstar
Daps
Which city are yall interested in, both, or just Charlotte?

Yeah right nikka 🤣 these Carolina cities shyt on Louisiana, if Clt and Rgh are mid then them Louisiana cities are lower than that 🤣 🤣 🤣

What are dope American cities to you? And I'm asking about cities in range of Clt and Rgh, not cities that are multiple times bigger. Pittsburgh and Sacramento are the only cities in range of Clt I'd put on par with it, I guess you could include Nashville but Clt shyts on everywhere else...

Richmond and Virginia Beach are the only cities in Rgh's weight class I'd put on par with Rgh, if you made me pick a third city I'd say Salt Lake. Raleigh shyts on everywhere else...
Both. I guess we’d have to see which one fits better once we visit.

Towlie

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Bruh you live off Old Statesville and Sunset, that's not the most chill area. That Denny's on Sunset used to be the club (Club Denny's), I'm going back over a decade now, always was hot in that area 🤣 🤣...

But yes, anywhere you go it depends on where you live. Believe it or not, there are nicer areas in Memphis and Baltimore too, that if one can afford it, they could choose those areas. The difference in Carolina cities that is truly unique in my opinion, and this goes beyond just Charlotte or Raleigh because Greensboro, Winston, Fayetteville, Durham, are like this too;

But in Carolina there's a deeply rooted black middle class in nearly all the sizable cities, and it's quite large. There are multiple black middle class areas in all these cities, and a good sized wealthy black area, too. Poverty never reached as deeply in Carolina cities as other places nationally, and because poverty is often correlated to violence, Carolina cities have never been as violent as many other places, either. How this happened, I really don't know, but it's something that jumps out to you if you come from a city that is just more dangerous...

Example, you could never mistake anywhere in Carolina for Memphis. It's just not close, the worst hoods in Charlotte and Raleigh would be considered safe in Memphis. Physically the bad areas in Memphis are just so much more broken down, you can see it, and there's a culture of murder and violence in Memphis that goes well before the Civil Rights era, well before desegregation. So when you come from somewhere like that, you can easily spot the contrasts when juxtaposed to Carolina cities...

You don't live in a great area of Charlotte but it isn't the worst. Little Rock is worse, Sugar Creek is worse, etc. So it is about where you live but your frame of reference could be different from mine, what feels like "shootings all the time" to you may not feel so frequent to other people and you aren't wrong for that, it's just based on your own experiences!

Where did you come from prior to Charlotte?

We're 53 days into a new year and Charlotte has 18 murders so far. Could be better, but it's not a "shooting all the time" place. Charlotte so far for the 2020s, averages 108 murders/year, Charlotte averaged 65 in the 10s, 68 in the 00s, and 89 in the 90s. But, Charlotte is also a much larger city than it was 10, 20, 30 years ago. The 10s was the best era in Charlotte in recent memory but was historically low, 2020s Charlotte is way safer than it was in the 90s and about on par with what 00s Charlotte was; Charlotte today has more murders and shootings than either era but there's just more people in Charlotte today, Charlotte isn't actually worse...

(By the way this same thing applies for Raleigh. Raleigh is at 7 murders so far this year, and for the 20s to-date is averaging 35. Raleigh averaged 19 in the 10s, a historically low era, 20 in the 00s, and 23 in the 90s. Today's Raleigh is a little safer but close to what Raleigh's violent crime levels were in the 90s. Raleigh has way more people living here today than it did 25-30 years ago, though)...

I see your point for sure.. I grew up in Detroit and
Bruh you live off Old Statesville and Sunset, that's not the most chill area. That Denny's on Sunset used to be the club (Club Denny's), I'm going back over a decade now, always was hot in that area 🤣 🤣...

But yes, anywhere you go it depends on where you live. Believe it or not, there are nicer areas in Memphis and Baltimore too, that if one can afford it, they could choose those areas. The difference in Carolina cities that is truly unique in my opinion, and this goes beyond just Charlotte or Raleigh because Greensboro, Winston, Fayetteville, Durham, are like this too;

But in Carolina there's a deeply rooted black middle class in nearly all the sizable cities, and it's quite large. There are multiple black middle class areas in all these cities, and a good sized wealthy black area, too. Poverty never reached as deeply in Carolina cities as other places nationally, and because poverty is often correlated to violence, Carolina cities have never been as violent as many other places, either. How this happened, I really don't know, but it's something that jumps out to you if you come from a city that is just more dangerous...

Example, you could never mistake anywhere in Carolina for Memphis. It's just not close, the worst hoods in Charlotte and Raleigh would be considered safe in Memphis. Physically the bad areas in Memphis are just so much more broken down, you can see it, and there's a culture of murder and violence in Memphis that goes well before the Civil Rights era, well before desegregation. So when you come from somewhere like that, you can easily spot the contrasts when juxtaposed to Carolina cities...

You don't live in a great area of Charlotte but it isn't the worst. Little Rock is worse, Sugar Creek is worse, etc. So it is about where you live but your frame of reference could be different from mine, what feels like "shootings all the time" to you may not feel so frequent to other people and you aren't wrong for that, it's just based on your own experiences!

Where did you come from prior to Charlotte?

We're 53 days into a new year and Charlotte has 18 murders so far. Could be better, but it's not a "shooting all the time" place. Charlotte so far for the 2020s, averages 108 murders/year, Charlotte averaged 65 in the 10s, 68 in the 00s, and 89 in the 90s. But, Charlotte is also a much larger city than it was 10, 20, 30 years ago. The 10s was the best era in Charlotte in recent memory but was historically low, 2020s Charlotte is way safer than it was in the 90s and about on par with what 00s Charlotte was; Charlotte today has more murders and shootings than either era but there's just more people in Charlotte today, Charlotte isn't actually worse...

(By the way this same thing applies for Raleigh. Raleigh is at 7 murders so far this year, and for the 20s to-date is averaging 35. Raleigh averaged 19 in the 10s, a historically low era, 20 in the 00s, and 23 in the 90s. Today's Raleigh is a little safer but close to what Raleigh's violent crime levels were in the 90s. Raleigh has way more people living here today than it did 25-30 years ago, though)...

I grew up in Detroit. I love my city and will rep it to the death but there's blight everywhere. Growing up the night before Halloween was called Devil's night now smartly changed to Angel's night. On Devil's night people went around setting fires to all the abandoned houses, it was crazy.

I moved to Charlotte in 2013 to teach. I drove down here with all my shyt in my car and the first thing I noticed when I got here was how clean it was. I was at POB on Allegheny asking the staff where the hood was here and they were like you're in it. I couldn't believe it cause like you said the hoods in Memphis or Detroit look like hoods.

Even my neighborhood in Charlotte looks clean and we walk around freely with our young kids but the shootings are out of control.

I taught at Ranson for 6 years and unfortunately have experienced many tragic student stories including on my own street, since I live in the neighborhood.

I now teach where Blvd homes were and my students come from little rock and ponderosa so I'm familiar with that area.

I guess that shapes my perspective

But I definitely love it here and prefer to raise my kids here over Detroit .

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
And there are THOUSANDS of cities in this country. So the 18th best out of over a THOUSANDS.

I think that’s a good thing. Again, if people wanna go to those other cities. Fine

But if you ain’t going to MIA, NY, or LA.

Everything else still ain’t what they dream it to be
I don't fully disagree. There's a ceiling for every city. There's a gap between where Charlotte is currently, and where cities more established like Denver, San Diego, Minneapolis, Detroit, etc are. Charlotte is climbing the city boards but it's not really what those places are, let alone the cities above them...

But again I think Charlotte is a Top 20 US city, somewhere between 18-22, so when people talk about Charlotte they do need to put some respect on yall name. Most places not fukking with Charlotte and to be honest most places not fukking with Raleigh either, which is a borderline Top 40 city in this country of THOUSANDS of cities as you pointed out...
🤣 that standing around Walmart is just some southern shyt brodie...
I see your point for sure.. I grew up in Detroit and

I grew up in Detroit. I love my city and will rep it to the death but there's blight everywhere. Growing up the night before Halloween was called Devil's night now smartly changed to Angel's night. On Devil's night people went around setting fires to all the abandoned houses, it was crazy.

I moved to Charlotte in 2013 to teach. I drove down here with all my shyt in my car and the first thing I noticed when I got here was how clean it was. I was at POB on Allegheny asking the staff where the hood was here and they were like you're in it. I couldn't believe it cause like you said the hoods in Memphis or Detroit look like hoods.

Even my neighborhood in Charlotte looks clean and we walk around freely with our young kids but the shootings are out of control.

I taught at Ranson for 6 years and unfortunately have experienced many tragic student stories including on my own street, since I live in the neighborhood.

I now teach where Blvd homes were and my students come from little rock and ponderosa so I'm familiar with that area.

I guess that shapes my perspective

But I definitely love it here and prefer to raise my kids here over Detroit .
No doubt, one thing I'll say is that tragedy is tragedy. If one place has 100 shootings and another only 10, but you're one of the people affected by "only" 10, it doesn't feel better than if you were in the place with 100 shootings. The weight of tragedy is the exact same...

I ran the streets for many years and across different states so I noted the atmospheric variance between certain places. I could visually see it and physically experience it----->but to the point I made above, while Raleigh is very much one of the safest large cities in the US, the people who are affected by tragedy in Raleigh are impacted the same way people affected by it in Detroit are. The personalities that run around killing and harming people in Raleigh are the same personalities in Detroit, just culturally for some reason there's far fewer of those personalities in Raleigh...

I love that my daughters are growing up here. I am working towards making sure they can spend part of their upbringing where I'm from in Sacramento, even if it's just summers, I'm working on making that a reality in the next two years. But I love that they get to grow up here in what I think is unquestionably one of the GOAT cities for black people in America, and I'd feel the exact same about Charlotte, too...

It's wild how you can come from cities with so much rooted black culture like Detroit or Memphis, and get here and instantly see the contrasts in how much easier life is for black people here. Just as a reference, so far in the 2020s Charlotte is averaging 108 murders and 11.86 murder rate---->Memphis is at 288/45.9, Detroit 313/49.65...

Belize King

I got concepts of a plan.
Daps
Speaking of stuff to do in Charlotte and not trynna NameDrop but

There is a Celebrity AllStar Bball game this Sunday at 4 at West Charlotte, my man Chewy just hit me up to tell me so spreading the word

Hassan Whiteside is out the league? Didn’t he play ball last year? Life comes at you quick for them low IQ players.
:ufdup:
Christian Wood you better pay attention and save your money.
:mjlol:

Belize King

I got concepts of a plan.
Daps
@murksiderock
@Bryan Danielson
:myman:

Appreciate yall boys droppin knowledge and reppin your hood. I’d rep you both if I could.

I got some bad news yesterday. I was trying to move to the Florida panhandle this summer. I had a job lined up but found out through a contact already there that they are paying 23HR.
:mjcry:
I can’t come home to that. I was hoping 45Hr like our contract in OKC. They really undercutting hard. So I won’t be moving down there now.
:francis:
I’ll probably stick to this contracting for another year unfortunately but I still want to pick up another house and move.

What’s a decent area in charlotte I can possibly afford? I live in a country/hood part of Atlanta now. Primed to get gentrified. I have two little girls so I’m hoping to move to a decent school district. I really want a house under 300K. 3/2 1800-2400 SF (I know that’s probably impossible in this market). Any recommendations?

Appreciate it!

Phitz

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL
@murksiderock
@Bryan Danielson
:myman:

Appreciate yall boys droppin knowledge and reppin your hood. I’d rep you both if I could.

I got some bad news yesterday. I was trying to move to the Florida panhandle this summer. I had a job lined up but found out through a contact already there that they are paying 23HR.
:mjcry:
I can’t come home to that. I was hoping 45Hr like our contract in OKC. They really undercutting hard. So I won’t be moving down there now.
:francis:
I’ll probably stick to this contracting for another year unfortunately but I still want to pick up another house and move.

What’s a decent area in charlotte I can possibly afford? I live in a country/hood part of Atlanta now. Primed to get gentrified. I have two little girls so I’m hoping to move to a decent school district. I really want a house under 300K. 3/2 1800-2400 SF (I know that’s probably impossible in this market). Any recommendations?

Appreciate it!

Go to Iredell County, Lincoln County, Cleveland Cty(1 hr commute) or Dallas NC
Maybe Salisbury