Robin Thicke Sues to Protect 'Blurred Lines' from Marvin Gaye's Family

Kemyran

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Southern California
The anger in this thread is hilarious.

The shyt is obviously Marvin-inspired but you can't "steal" a beat :heh: (not unless it's the exact original copy from the sound recording). You can't "steal" a style, either

It would be like Michael Jackson suing Billy Ocean for Caribbean Queen. That song obviously used a beat similar to Billie Jean, had a bassline and everything, but nearly everything else was different

Let them nikkas cook
Another example is the beat for Tears for Fears' Everybody Wants to Rule the World vs MJ's The Way You Make Me Feel.

Chris.B

Banned
Daps
It's not a rip off...similar chord progressions but its not a rip off.

There are only 12 keys in music obviously some shyt will sound similar

bangedher_wholesquad

carlos danger
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Y'all got wack ears.

Similar sounding like every pop star has a similar beat to mj.

Listen to it closely.

They are not the same. If u think they are u do not have a good ear.

L&HH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
PG x MD
The only similarity is the drum beat, but if you could sue for that, music as we know it wouldnt be what it is.

Y2Dre

Melanated God
Supporter
Daps
I knew this devil would show his true colors sooner or later.

this is what happens when you c00ns let CAC's into our culture. they just want to suck the culture dry and not pay their dues. These clear's think they are above everyone.

godkiller

"We are the Fury"
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Overrated garbage song anyway. The beat isn't that close to Thicke's. :bryan:

I knew this devil would show his true colors sooner or later.

this is what happens when you c00ns let CAC's into our culture. they just want to suck the culture dry and not pay their dues. These clear's think they are above everyone.

Cacs have always been part of the culture. Pay closer attention the idols you worship and from whence they come.

Box Cutta

Bumbling Sidekick
Daps
Reppin
Sanitation Department
I've never given this cac a pass. This dude stole a beautiful sister and niccas actually *supported* him because of it, ridiculous.

Now he's suing MARVIN GAYE of all people....one of our all time great artist. This cac, suing him for stealing HIS song...KNOWING the history of white artist stealing from black musicians. I hope that he is called out publically for this shyt. Dude wants to talk about his daughter being black in magazine interviews...lets hear what he would tell his daughter when she ask him about why he stole from Marvin Gaye.

Regardless of how similar the songs sound...it's the AUDACITY to preemptively sue MG's estate that has me riled up.

And don't even get me started on the Blurred Lines video. And how only white men can be shown doing that kind of mess and be given a fukking TELEVISION COMMERCIAL based on the fukking misogynistic video. It's a fukking joke. Modeling agencies wouldn't even supply the models if a black dude tried to pull that off.