Rise of the Tomb Raider [Official Thread] PS4 finally experiencing greatness

be back in a bit

All Star
Daps
It's ight so far don't get me wrong. It's enjoyable to say the least but it's nothing :banderas: or :whoo:. I guess dudes are starved for any action game that the first thing to come out impresses them but this ain't really impressed me so far aside from some visual moments where the game looks really good.

It just doesn't feel like a big leap so far. Feels basically like TR 2013.5. I say that's due to the engine being more or less the same as the last game.
TR2013 gameplay >>> Uncharted gameplay. Better shooting, better platforming, puzzles, upgrade system, metroid-esque item unlocking. Only UC that is arguably bettter than TR2013 is UC2, and thats only cus of set pieces and acting.:yeshrug:

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
It's ight so far don't get me wrong. It's enjoyable to say the least but it's nothing :banderas: or :whoo:. I guess dudes are starved for any action game that the first thing to come out impresses them but this ain't really impressed me so far aside from some visual moments where the game looks really good.

It just doesn't feel like a big leap so far. Feels basically like TR 2013.5. I say that's due to the engine being more or less the same as the last game.
No way this is the same engine. This is much more difficult to run.

I feel the same way about the game so far. I'm 2 hours in and already 10% done with the game :dead:. (And 25% of that time was fukking with settings). Nothing groundbreaking so far.

I got to the Soviet base and called it quits until tomorrow. I got bored :manny:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
TR2013 gameplay >>> Uncharted gameplay. Better shooting, better platforming, puzzles, upgrade system, metroid-esque item unlocking. Only UC that is arguably bettter than TR2013 is UC2, and thats only cus of set pieces and acting.:yeshrug:
I always felt like UC2/3 had better gameplay than TR2013. The feel of moving Drake around and shooting was more satisfying imo. In TR2013, you couldn't aim and shoot nor aim and throw grenades while hanging from things in the environment.

As for platforming, give me a break. The platforming in TR2013 is still automated and Lara still magnetically gravitates towards the edge of which to grab and the cheap QTE that comes up doesn't make it "better". It's not way better, it's different. Hell, if I had to choose, the climbing and movement from UC4's beta was better than this and that was just from MP.

Puzzles is better in TR I agree.

Upgrade system compared to what?? Uncharted games never had any sort of upgrade system. The game gave you what was in that level. UC was already 2 years old when TR2013 came out. If anything, TLOU had a comparison there.

Not to mention UC2's MP actually was good.

Idk but playing UC4's beta spoiled me because the gunplay(shooting mechanics and controls/animations) were soo good and that was just the MP. Just my opinions though I think UC4 will be MUCH better and that includes gameplay. I already felt like they nailed the shooting part down from the beta.

be back in a bit

All Star
Daps
For me its the opposite, I prefer Lara's movement and shooting. To each their own though, it's pretty subjective. Imo both games are so far ahead of the competition, there's no reason to pit them against each other in a negative way. If UC4 outdoes Rise, well shyt, i'll be very, very happy lol. This is my favorite genre.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
:jbhmm: so the story,writing and characters are just as shyt as the first game?

When do story driven games start to get penalized for this? :jbhmm:
When you experience shyt like TLOU and UC2, other games pale in comparison in those aspects. There's just something magical about them.

They pay attention to detail and subtleties that other games miss. Not to mention their dialogue and character artists are just much more detailed that characters are much more "alive". So much that when I play other games their story telling and characters fall flat because they're simply not up to snuff. So to answer your question, TR would appear to be shyt next to it. TR is Ubisoft levels of story/characters etc.

ellie_by_allgamesbeta-d7rnmk6.gif

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
When you experience shyt like TLOU and UC2, other games pale in comparison in those aspects. There's just something magical about them.

They pay attention to detail and subtleties that other games miss. Not to mention their dialogue and character artists are just much more detailed that characters are much more "alive". So much that when I play other games their story telling and characters fall flat because they're simply not up to snuff.

ellie_by_allgamesbeta-d7rnmk6.gif
I wouldn'y say magical,but theirs actual effort put into it. Its really not that hard to hire decent writers.

I'm tired of game companies not even attempting to have anything but bland writing and cardboard characters.

I remember the writing in the first being laughably bad and filled with stereotype characters.

That was acceptable in the ps1/2 days,games should have evolved by now than just prettier graphics.

duncanthetall

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WHODEY/BIGBLUE/SNOWGANG/MIDNIGHTBOYZ
So wheres the cheapest cd key? Give me all your scuzziest russian sites. The homie @Codeine Crazy just hooked a nikka up with the 50 pack at Gamestop, but I lowkey wanna use that on BLOPS3. Played it at my friends today and was having more fun than I should have been. Don't wanna spend more than 30 on this right now.

Leasy

Let's add some Alizarin Crimson & Van Dyke Brown
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philly (BYRD GANG)

Not mad I enjoy games dont compare just to compare. Having orgasm over a triology with one hot game in 8 years is not my thing.

Uncharted Arcade
Tomb Raider Simulation

You like run and gun pick up a gun and shoot fukk everything else.

Tomb Raider make you feel you a part of that enviroment. Take off that fanboy shyt for god sake

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
It looks a full generation ahead of the previous one. Im playing the first right now, and the difference is night and day.
Exactly. He has no idea what he's talking about. This game's engine far surpasses TR2013.

I wish it was a bit more optimized, but hopefully that'll come in the coming weeks

They better fix sli :stopitslime:

llt23

All Star
Daps
Uncharted just felt like a cover shooter with climbing. Story was way better than Tomb Raider but Tomb Raider gameplay is definitely more fun IMO.

Played almost 4 hours, there are more things added like crafting on the fly, a bigger focus on stealth, hiding up in trees etc.

Anyone have an idea what the cards do though? Or how to equip/unequip them?