Ridley Scott's The Last Duel takes in 4 million on a budget of 100+ million

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Anyone at the studio who is shocked by this movie flopping needs to be fired right after they fire whatever weirdo gave it the greenlight.

This is some shyt that you half the budget, hire B-list more affordable actors and make for HBO.

I came in to say the EXACT same thing.

I understand why they made the movie cause it's a fascinating historical story that no one knew about, but there is no mass audience for this shyt. If they hadn't spent so much money on the cast, been a little more conservative in picking scenery, they could have made a more affordable movie and gotten out fine.

PoorAndDangerous

Superstar
Daps
There’s been a lot of hoopla about him saying this, but he does say he could be wrong but that’s why he thought it failed. Also the man is 83, was definitely an old man yells at cloud moment. It was interesting because Maron started to imply the marketing wasn’t great but Ridley completely disagreed. I still need to see this movie I can’t wait until it’s on VOD. I’m still curious why it cost 100m the only thing I can think of is the cast. Ridley is super economical with his films because he literally draws and storyboards every scene before filming so he knows exactly what he’s doing when he gets there. Highly recommend checking out the Maron interview with him, it was super fascinating hearing him talk about his movies and how he grew up. He is very old school British, his father was a brigadier general in the military. He was shytting on anti-vaxxers and Trumptards. It was a great interview. I can’t fukking wait for his Napoleon movie with Joaquin

Last edited:

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
shytty marketing, I saw exactly one ad for this and it sounds like a movie I really want to see

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Nobody rushing into theaters to watch a period piece about a woman getting raped. Ridley Scott has been on auto pilot for so long with these type of action/drama films set in that period. He gets so much leeway based on a movie that came out two decades ago (Gladiator), and we ignore the bombs like Robin Hood. Kingdom Of Heaven's directors cut is one of the greatest movies of 21st century but most people saw the wack theatrical cut, and hold it against him.

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
Watch this one be decent. Swear some of yall got the taste of small children who don't like vegetables
It was actually great and most of the trial in the 3rd chapter is unfortunately still true to this day.

Ridley Scott on one though blaming smartphones. If it wasn't for mine, I would've never heard about this :heh:

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Marketing failure. Would probably have been better off on streaming as well, especially this year.

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
It was absolutely packed when I went to see it over here in Paris. Read somewhere that France is one of the places where the movie did well. But like others said there was little to no marketing.