Rich Paul sued by NBA player Nerlens Noel over lost $58 million

Daps
Are you familiar with how reporting works?

I am. I’m also familiar with context. We’re talking about a law suit that he filed, not some secret government employee leaking information. These “sources” are going to have to be revealed in the near future in Nerlens is going to win his law suit. This article is almost nothing but a reporters summary of his complaint.

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
rich-paul-1.jpg

Cmon brehs… just look at this nikkas eyes… you a fool if you trust this man with ya bread :sadcam: I know a weasel when I see one.
Isnt he like 3ft 11 or some ahit?
Midgets are mad spooky.

GunRanger

Veteran
Daps
That article is terrible.
1) it doesn’t name the sources, aside from a statement a coach possibly made about hearing the 76ers wanted to work with him.
2) It just repeats the allegations from the complaint, which is ok. But the headline is a really misleading.
No one reveals sources, not Woj or Shams either. They would never get sources again.

Daps
No one reveals sources, not Woj or Shams either. They would never get sources again.

what was the point of the article? It doesn’t tell us anything we didn’t already know. They talking about “sources” when a lawsuit has already been filed. Are these sources going to testify in a deposition or trial?

Sohh_lifted

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
what was the point of the article? It doesn’t tell us anything we didn’t already know. They talking about “sources” when a lawsuit has already been filed. Are these sources going to testify in a deposition or trial?

:gucci::gucci:The suit was just filed, you wanna give it sometime and more details will appear, instead of just tryna poke holes? We will find out soon enough who will be testifying on whose behalf...

Daps
:gucci::gucci:The suit was just filed, you wanna give it sometime and more details will appear, instead of just tryna poke holes? We will find out soon enough who will be testifying on whose behalf...

I didn’t write the damn story. I was commenting on shytty journalism. The article is basic reciting Nerlen’s complaint with no new information. And this isn’t some giant secret, where a journalist has to protect a source that may never be revealed. In order for Nerlens to win, he’s gonna have to have receipts. This article didn’t talk about where those receipts will be coming from, just somebody said….

let me ask you a question. Do you know anything about the situation that you didn’t know before reading the article? If so, what was it? And was written into the original complaint?

Sohh_lifted

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I didn’t write the damn story. I was commenting on shytty journalism. The article is basic reciting Nerlen’s complaint with no new information. And this isn’t some giant secret, where a journalist has to protect a source that may never be revealed. In order for Nerlens to win, he’s gonna have to have receipts. This article didn’t talk about where those receipts will be coming from, just somebody said….

let me ask you a question. Do you know anything about the situation that you didn’t know before reading the article? If so, what was it? And was written into the original complaint?

The only extra information gathered is that "sources confirmed" from those teams that they did apparently reach out. Listen, I'll personally (and I suggest we all) wait this one out and repost in this thread once more details emerge. This sort of suits play out in the media/public beforehand as well, its unfortunate because the details are salacious as well but it is what it is, this is the era of Journalism and society. Let's give this suit/topic more time and I am sure Rich Paul will have "sources" leaking out and sharing his position on this suit.

SlurRty

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NJ x NYC
From reddit

Source

Breaking on @SportsAgentBlog : Nerlens Noel has sued NBA agent Rich Paul, claiming Paul is responsible for $58 million in lost earnings.

Paul, who represents the likes of LeBron James, Anthony Davis, Trae Young, Draymond Green, and Ben Simmons, is alleged to have interfered with Noel’s preexisting relationship with Happy Walters, who had represented Noel after he was drafted into the NBA out of the University of Kentucky in 2013. The Complaint says that Paul, knowing that Noel was represented by Walters in 2017, told Noel that he “was a 100 million man” and that Paul could get Noel a max deal if he terminated his relationship with Walters.

This all allegedly went down at Simmons’ birthday party in Los Angeles, where Paul was sitting next to Noel during the dinner portion of the event. Following the party, Noel parted ways with Walters and signed a Standard Player Agent Contract (SPAC) with Paul. Noel also purportedly took Paul’s advice and ended prior ongoing negotiations with the Dallas Mavericks that would have paid him $70 million over 4-years, in favor of accepting a single-year, $4.1 million qualifying offer with the intention of later seeking a max deal on the free agent market. Paul earned a 4% commission on the qualifying offer.

The situation became sour when Noel tore a ligament in his thumb, had surgery to repair the injury, and was forced to miss 42 games that season. According to the Complaint, Paul began to lose interest in Noel as a client.

“During the free agent season which began on July 1, 2018, and after Noel’s one-year contract with Dallas expired, neither Paul nor anyone at Klutch Sports presented any real proposals to Noel in terms of strategies or ideas on how Noel might secure a long-term contract or even a significant contract for the following season,” states the Complaint. “Indeed, as the 2018 NBA free agent season began, no real offers or deals were presented to Noel on the first day of free agency.”

Noel says that Paul had nothing to do with Noel then signing with the Oklahoma City Thunder and that, instead, Russell Westbrook and Paul George recruited him to join them for that franchise. Noel signed a 2-year, $3.75 million league-minimum deal with the team, and Paul was paid a 2% commission.

Paul is criticized for failing to make an effort to try to secure contracts or deals on Noel’s behalf during the 2018-19 NBA season he spent with the Thunder and thereafter. Noel declined a player option on the second year of his deal with the Thunder and instead hit the free agent market. He received no offers from any other teams and was forced to sign another one-year league minimum contract with the Thunder.

Noel allegedly learned from Brett Brown, who was coaching the Philadelphia 76ers at the time, that the 76ers front office had been trying to contact Paul to discuss a potential deal and that Paul refused to respond. This was purportedly the case with other team representatives who were reaching out as well.

Eventually, Noel says that he contemplated terminating his representation relationship with Klutch Sports; however, he was persuaded by Lucas Newton of the company that they were working on a 3-year deal with the Thunder that should compensate Noel to the tune of $7 million to $10 million annually. Thus, Noel decided to stay in place with his agency of record.

Then, free agency hit and the first day was quiet. Noel says that he later learned that representatives from the Houston Rockets and Los Angeles Clippers wanted to discuss opportunities with Paul, but that they could not make contact. Leon Rose (who was formerly an agent at Creative Artists Agency but then the President of the New York Knicks) reached out about a deal and Noel ultimately signed a 1-year contract for $5 million.

Noel finally terminated his relationship with Paul and Klutch Sports in December 2020 and says that the final straw was Noel learning that Paul “had a history of mismanaging and ignoring other clients and costing them significant money.” He believed that Paul and Klutch Sports were only focused on serving their marquee clients, and did not have the capacity to serve Noel as well as players such as Norris Cole or Shabazz Mohammad. After Noel’s first season with the Knicks, he signed a 3-year deal for roughly $32 million and was represented by basketball agent George Langberg on that contract.

Noel wants to be made whole for losing what he says is $58 million in lost earnings after being led to leave Walters and pass up an offer from the Mavericks for $70 million over 4 years. He says that Paul breached his fiduciary duty by inducing Noel to terminate his representation agreement with Walters and then by failing to do any meaningful work on Noel’s behalf in terms of securing contracts, new endorsement deals, or by offering strategies to Noel on how to maximize his value and earnings

sounds like paul told nerlens to bet on himself and he got injured and never recovered.. it's noel's fault

Trojan 24

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Just Win Baby
Any nikka backing the slime ball agent over the player who was manipulated and screwed is a goofy:hhh: Lebron stans are weirdos. If Rich was white and not Lebrons best friend y’all would be calling for his head in this same scenario.

No idea why they care about Rich so much, I remember one of them qouted me with shady shyt Pelinka did when he was Kobe's agent. Like I give a fukk about that fakkit Pelinka :heh:

Daps
No idea why they care about Rich so much, I remember one of them qouted me with shady shyt Pelinka did when he was Kobe's agent. Like I give a fukk about that fakkit Pelinka :heh:

Exactly, nikkas Stanning for agents now :dead: what part of the game is that? I had no clue who the fukk Kobe’s or MJs agent were while they were playing :heh: imaging stanning a fukking suit

Ozymandeas

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
people file lawsuits everyday, doesnt mean the lawsuit is justified

You definitely have an agenda. Why would teams lie about making phone calls to Rich and never hearing anything back? What do the Sixers have to gain here making a bold face lie?