Rich kids run basketball now

Mr Hate Coffee

Veteran
Daps
We gon act like kids from the trenches don’t get scholarships to the same private schools?

This is what I was wondering as well. We're going on 30+ years of the top hood prospects being whisked away to play for a private school on scholarship.

Uitomy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Anxiety attacks and sugar cookies
How does this fix things?

I mean you even acknowledge it will never happen. At this point the minor league is the NCAA and goals for the "trench babies" need to be readjusted to getting a free degree + NIL money.

There's a huge market for the level of talent just below NBA level who could ascend to household names after 4 years of NCAA tourney success.
Cause I'd like to see some regional and state level talent post college, it's just wishful thinking but I honestly fukking hate college basketball with every fiber of my being until I'll melt.

G Leauge is great though for seeing old talent but I hate the limitation.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Nearly blew out China by 100 today.

The team is on a mission for real.

It's lame, but it's basically capitalism in basketball.

Last edited:

FlimFlam

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Access and guidance is paramount. Theres talent, skill, and size to go around... but thats a mere resume bullet point. But being coached into fitting into and navigating these arenas, knowing the particulars that are being looked for (on and off the court) and performing directly to that , name recognition , insider access, relationships and favors etc etc thats largely what separates the fodder for those who will advance .

2 parent household as a prerequisite is silliness... as if they especially black ones aren't generally isolated from professional networks. It requires way more than a nuclear family to propell a child to fulfill these concepts of "success". These people are being groomed into a figure who can fit into a controlled social environment and business system... it goes well beyond simple athletics to an extent that people rarely discuss .

Check out disciplined minds by jeff schmidt

Daps
Now Chinese Americans are ballin out there, 7'1 and 6'10 going to Maryland and on draft boards:

It only made sense as the next step for rich kids taking over.

I judge a hoop culture by its guards/wings.

Feel like Africa and Asia push the kids too tall for soccer, rugby, ping pong etc., to basketball. Every time you see a highlight film of foreign players...it's almost always some 7'0"+ kid that either has a decent outside game or just dunks over everyone.

The 6'6" slasher with a sweet jumper and decent hops feels non-existent outside of America.

MegaTronBomb!

Power is in my hair nikka
Daps
Reppin
From The Westside With Love
folks are conflating issues. NBA players from humble beginnings are still the majority of NBA players but these guys didnt go to public school once they got on radar as a hoops phenom. Tatum for instance transferred to one of the best private schools in St. Louis as a 7th grader.

People are clearly ignoring that this idea of these kids having average ass parents,lives and upbringings does not account for being the children/relatives of D1 athletes..and already having an edge on kids before they've ever picked up a ball..when you factor that in, you'll see that part has more to do with why you keep seeing the same things play out the way they do.

The way you see coli posters complain that they can't afford to keep up with the costs of their kids playing sports should let you know they aren't coming from humble beginnings.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
People are clearly ignoring that this idea of these kids having average ass parents,lives and upbringings does not account for being the children/relatives of D1 athletes..and already having an edge on kids before they've ever picked up a ball..when you factor that in, you'll see that part has more to do with why you keep seeing the same things play out the way they do.

The way you see coli posters complain that they can't afford to keep up with the costs of their kids playing sports should let you know they aren't coming from humble beginnings.
Yeah, this is what I was basically saying in the soccer thread.

Honestly, if your kid isn't 6'7 and talented af it's not worth blowing a ton of money if you can't afford to in order to keep up.

Some of these 6'7+ players are either going to have rich af parents with connections because they were in the league or somebody will be sponsoring them and get all the training, leagues, etc. for free. If you paying out of pocket for your kid, that basically means they're not it and got to really step it up or find something else to do.

Most of the cats who are in the league were basically aware they had a high probability of making it in high school because they knew how much better they were than everybody by then.

Nero Christ

Sniper out now on all digital platforms brev
Daps
Reppin
St. Lucia
I judge a hoop culture by its guards/wings.

Feel like Africa and Asia push the kids too tall for soccer, rugby, ping pong etc., to basketball. Every time you see a highlight film of foreign players...it's almost always some 7'0"+ kid that either has a decent outside game or just dunks over everyone.

The 6'6" slasher with a sweet jumper and decent hops feels non-existent outside of America.

I mean you don't have to be 6'0 and up to play soccer. If you're 6'4, it's probably best you do look towards basketball...it's just football/soccer has the bigger influence in Africa, so that's what most kids there first start playing.

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Bronny being drafted yesterday felt like the culmination of years of mediocrity to get to this point. All the money and training in the world to be a sub par college athlete who never got the time to work on his game because that was never the point. The point is getting to the NBA by any means as fast as possible and letting things sort out from there.

I don't think anything is gonna change until we start consistently losing in the Olympics. Maybe that wakes people up.
Bronny is PURE nepotism though. Even against the other "rich kids" we're talking about, he wasn't good enough. What I'm more so talking about is the talent pool not being what it used to be. These kids just aren't the athletes we're used to seeing IMO. I found it hilarious that people think Kiyan could hold his own against his dad at the same age. Melo was so strong and explosive at 17. Kiyan is nowhere near his father's physical development. I think ALOT of these kids would have been eaten alive against the kids coming up in the early 2000s despite being more skilled.

MegaTronBomb!

Power is in my hair nikka
Daps
Reppin
From The Westside With Love
Bronny is PURE nepotism though. Even against the other "rich kids" we're talking about, he wasn't good enough. What I'm more so talking about is the talent pool not being what it used to be. These kids just aren't the athletes we're used to seeing IMO. I found it hilarious that people think Kiyan could hold his own against his dad at the same age. Melo was so strong and explosive at 17. Kiyan is nowhere near his father's physical development. I think ALOT of these kids would have been eaten alive against the kids coming up in the early 2000s despite being more skilled.

Him being a McDonalds All American over Mikey Williams definitely had more to do with who his dad was than anything.

Melo's son still has his mommas genes....and the fact that the majority of them NBA cats didn't choose athletic women to have children with is why you're not seeing bigger stronger faster versions of their dads on the court.