Rich kids run basketball now

Nero Christ

Sniper out now on all digital platforms brev
Daps
Reppin
St. Lucia
Off topic but Rick James used to say that music sucks now because nobody learns how to play instruments, because music programs are cut in most schools now.

Physical education is cut in a lot of schools. So that in part contributes to lack of conditioning and poor health.

The point I'm trying to make is, you're right. There is a certain component of...things getting cut in fundamental places like elementary and grade schools having an impact down the line.

Yea most of the great musicians of the late 20th century came from public institutions whether they be schools or their local church not NYU. Not saying a great musician can't come from a rich background...it's just that musicians who tested limits and constantly pushed creative boundaries tend to come from a background of having to innovate due to financial limitations.

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
Damn when you think about it.....

The crossroads was Kobe and AI.

Iverson represented the rough, hood, grindy underdog baller with elite raw talent.

Kobe was the polished, rich kid of an NBA player that's not from the streets but balls as good as anyone.

The league wanted more Kobe's and fewer AI's. Of the NBA stars born the mid 90s or later, how many have the stereotypical hood background? Doesn't feel like any of the big names have that story and damn near all of em came from 2-parent homes.

You see it

Basketball becoming the game for rich kids like the Ball bros or guys with connections….. like over the last 15 years or so…. I ain’t realize or really know how many guys in the league are the son’s nephews, little cousin’s or god son’s of so many more NBA guys.

All these guys having the advantages, tutoring, and connections to all the made guys that help them have the easier path to the league.

And a coach of youth sports in my area…… I feel bad looking at these young kids with their NBa dreams from these poorer communities knowing no matter how good they are….. their chances of making it are damn near zero

The War Report

NewNewYork
Daps
Reppin
The Empire State
There’s something so wrong with meaningful basketball being only being attainable to wealthy people. It’s the most accessible sport outside of soccer. It should really be a poor man’s game like soccer is around the world. Any kid with a ball and a makeshift hoop can build the skills he/she needs to thrive in the sport.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Off topic but Rick James used to say that music sucks now because nobody learns how to play instruments, because music programs are cut in most schools now.

Physical education is cut in a lot of schools. So that in part contributes to lack of conditioning and poor health.

The point I'm trying to make is, you're right. There is a certain component of...things getting cut in fundamental places like elementary and grade schools having an impact down the line.
Yup. Some people on here probably by now know I love STEM. It's what I'm the most interested in and do day-to-day everyday.

However, I think the decision to cut the arts and other programs that bring more CULTURE in favor of STEM a little over a decade ago was a huge mistake and oversight.

It would've been great idea had other countries not leveled up in STEM as well. Now everyone is on the same standard (and will do the work cheaper) but our sense of culture is at it's lowest in decades basically. Now these kids who didn't gravitate towards STEM but didn't have a fallback are a bunch of uncultured idiots running around everywhere with zero respect for anything except fart jokes and shallow entertainment.

Last edited:

Marc Spector

the 4'11 Cuban
Daps
Reppin
The Milky Way
AAU been around for a 100 years, that has zero to do with it, its the private/prep schools and basketball factories that have increased in numbers over the last 20 years
folks are conflating issues. NBA players from humble beginnings are still the majority of NBA players but these guys didnt go to public school once they got on radar as a hoops phenom. Tatum for instance transferred to one of the best private schools in St. Louis as a 7th grader.

Last edited:

Black Hans

Follow Jesus. Be Beautiful
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
John 14:6
Well, the NBA definitely seems to be shifting to draftees either being second-generation (rich kids) or foreigners. The "from the hood" story seems to be fading in the NBA and is more of an NFL thing now. :patrice:

Gilbert Arenas' son Alijah, Carlos Boozer's twin sons, Lebron's other son Bryce, Carmelo's son Kiyan, etc. These are all "rich kids" who are considered top prospects for the NBA. It is what it is, though :yeshrug:

Note: Should've read the OP. Basically said the same thing :beli::mjlol:

Last edited:

SchoolboyC

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
we m

folks are conflating issues. NBA players from humble beginnings are still the majority of NBA players but these guys didnt go to public school once they got on radar as a hoops phenom. Tatum for instance transferred to one of the best private schools in St. Louis as a 7th grader.

Yep.

Even Ant only played his freshman year at a public school and after that transferred to a prep program

Marc Spector

the 4'11 Cuban
Daps
Reppin
The Milky Way
Yep.

Even Ant only played his freshman year at a public school and after that transferred to a prep program
exactly. now folks have an argument if they say no NBA players are coming out of public schools but I think they’re not taking into account a significant factor in playing college ball and that is academics. I’d wager that at least 40% of the players currently in the NBA stopped taking academics seriously at sixth graders which results in them being at best mediocre students. these dudes almost have to go to private school in order to have the tutoring and structure to train at a high-level and maintain an eligible GPA.

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
That's not new either. Chris Webber went to Country day, a suburban basketball recruiter. There were football players in my HS in 98-01 who would get recruited to Catholic Central and shyt...maybe that's more frequent I guess but it is an old school thing.

DonRe

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Like roy wood said on bomani show. Theres something about a single parent household and that anger that drives greatness

These gold fork babies cant compete with that.

Marc Spector

the 4'11 Cuban
Daps
Reppin
The Milky Way
That's not new either. Chris Webber went to Country day, a suburban basketball recruiter. There were football players in my HS in 98-01 who would get recruited to Catholic Central and shyt...maybe that's more frequent I guess but it is an old school thing.
Its for sure not a new issue. When i was a jit 20 years ago, it was all about Oak Hill and Monteverde. Do coli brehs really think all them NBA nikkas who went to those schools were rich? :mjlol: Those dudes were given vouchers/scholarships to attend those schools.

I said it in another thread but the issue is less "broke players are being gatekept out of NBA development" but more so "only rich people and cant miss prospects have the time and resources to COMPLETELY be devoted to NBA development". And theres is no such thing as a half way aspiring hoop star, very few underdog stories like a Rodman or John Starks anymore....you have to be all in as a grade schooler now to make the league.

Its why the Euros are outpacing us as they solved this problem long ago with amateur and professional club sports. Whereas in the states, public and private schools, AAU, The NCAA and G-league all have to get their cut before these kids are put in professional league that trains/develops and PAYS them. For comparison, Luka was a pro at 15, Jokic a pro at 17.

Last edited:

daboywonder2002

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
minnesota
I knew I wasn't tripping. Here's my post from 2021

Erratic415

Superstar
Daps

Isiah Thomas back in the 70s too.

Hoop Dreams kind of talks about this.

Both William Gates and Arthur Agee got partial scholarships to the private school that Isiah had went to. There was a scout in the playground that discovered Agee.

Gates was doing well in basketball, and a benefactor covered all his tuition costs. Agee was struggling in basketball and hadn’t grown yet, and got kicked out of school for not paying tuition. No benefactor to help him.

Last edited: