Rhythm + Flow Season 2 Feat. Latto, Ludacris, DJ Khaled (coming soon) (Discussion Thread)

manyfaces

Superstar
Daps
Old Man Saxon being bounced out was a travesty .
His line in the battle,

"... something, something,
Ain't that about a bytch!
I'm reading your biography,
Ain't that about a bytch:jbhmm:"

was dope as hell with great delivery and I feel like people just missed it. shyt had me cracking up. I fukked with his style.

UserNameless

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere...You never there.
His line in the battle,

"... something, something,
Ain't that about a bytch!
I'm reading your biography,
Ain't that about a bytch:jbhmm:"

was dope as hell with great delivery and I feel like people just missed it. shyt had me cracking up. I fukked with his style.

shyt was dope and clever af. And I agree it prob went over people’s heads .

Heelish

#TSC #spooky
Supporter
Daps
What We Know About D Smoke, the Winner of Rhythm + Flow

His brother is signed to the same music label as Kendrick Lamar.

D Smoke's brother is R&B singer SiR, who signed with Top Dawg Entertainment (TDE) in 2017—the same record label as Grammy-winning rapper Kendrick Lamar. SiR even has a song featuring Lamar called "Hair Down." It currently has over 13 million views on YouTube.

It makes sense that the brothers are in the music business (D Smoke also plays the piano and drums) as their mother is a piano instructor and professional singer.

Despite Cardi noting that the rapper's jumpsuit made him look like "a janitor," from the first episode the former Spanish and music theory high school teacher—who also attended UCLA—stood out for his poignant and reflective lyrics (”Hello, Kendrick Lamar! I have a friend for you!” Cardi B quipped in one episode) and his bilingual flow.

Kendrick Lamar: “Oh yeah, he’s my friend, too!” :mjgrin:

Doomsday

Superstar
Daps
:mjlol:100% rigged payola. All the true underground independent artists who were a threat got sent home first. Only the plants made it to the main event.

:mjlol:Of course the TDE Interscope rapper is the one who wins. True industry plant shyt.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Hate to see it , but Flawless demonstrated he is pop radio generic when it comes to songs . He showed that in the songs he came up with for the vid and for the live performance. While he is close to smoke in polish, it stems from a high floor. Smoke’s polish comes from a really high ceiling .

I woulda like to see Flawless produce his own tracks . I think he was stymied just a bit by the parameters of the show . For flawless it’s pop 100 or bust . Not much nuance there from what he demonstrated . Seems like a good guy . Mature and seasoned .

He (Flawless) already has quite a bit of material out there that is seemingly self-produced. More than Smoke had readily available. Just check him out on Spotify, Youtube and other platforms.

As for technical merit and polish, I was saying during the entirety of the show with their performances, Flawless showed to be most polished out of everyone, since Smoke actually slipped up once and almost happened again. I think they're about even on the strictly rapping side, with Flawless being more hardcore bar/battle oriented and Smoke being more of an thought-provoking/inspirational POV. For rap tho, it's just a matter of preference IMO. I hear you tho if you consider Smoke's family musical presence all within and connecting to him and a bit with the song writing style and looking at them from a purely artistic perspective for what was shown on the show. I think Flawless was more...traditional and intentional than feeling like he was pop. To each his own tho.

Simon was a big part of American Idol entertainment because he was an a$$hole. Cardi brings greater levels of entertainment and she didn't even need to be an a$$hole. Credit where credit is due, there would be a lot of people loving her antics on this, even if there is some who found it annoying. And she was the best of the judges in the finale, the way she broke down the contestants when all 3 were summarizing the final 4.

D Smoke the rightful winner. The battle round unfortunately killed off some of the better contestants who would have been great to watch in the later rounds, like Beanz, Jakob, Queen, Old Man Saxon, especially compared to trash like Sam B Yourself or Tomineek.

I agree with almost everything you said here, except for the bolded two in comparison to others you named. Jakob got bars, but fumbled all throughout the show and while he had some good background story in his bars too (without whining about it no less, so extra points), I don't feel artistry from him. More personality than Sam tho, so he could've possibly replaced him. Queen seemed like a sheer gimmick that wore out her welcome the more she progressed which is just why she didn't progress much further than she did and rightfully so.

I think Beanz and Saxon would've been very interesting to see in the later rounds, especially Saxon on those live performances. He seemed almost akin to a Morris Day on a rap side of what we could've gotten for an original live performance. He had some cool ass lines too and was entertaining as fukk and very original for the rap game, but w/o a sacrifice for skill. Beanz I think may have pulled of a dope video and better than Sam/Tomineek did, if given the chance. Ionno how she would've faired on the live performances. She may have levelled up with the push of the show's direction to have done well enough, but I definitely couldn't have seen her beating out any of the top 4 in that front, which was integral for those last 3 rounds.

Last edited:

NV-ME

Make It Hot-ta
Daps
Reppin
FiyaStarter
just finished. i had a hate/ehh/he aint wack vibe from flawless the whole series, but he absolutely destroyed that rap battle against my fav. beans. his final performance tho. that shyt almost choked me up when they panned to them kids crying. gotdamn its always the kids. but the song was incredible.

i say all that to say, d smoke was super dope, but i almost wanted him to lose because like anyone that said anything about god, chance started falling out of his chair like he was rehearsing to be in the crowd at a def comedy jam taping. it really was annoying. like dogg, we know youre in touch w/ your spiritual side. BE PROFESSIONAL! JEEZUS npi.

hope beans gets put on tho. her, one of the other chicks that got eliminated during the freestyle battle, london b were my fav to watch, because contrary to belief, niggs dont hate women rappers, we just hate wack & marginal talents that get pushed and discussed with nigg@s that CAN ACTUALLY RAP! that london b tho. she live in atlanta and she like women. she the safest bet on the show.

that damn j cole to kendrick dynamic between flawless and d smoke tho. :wow:

all of those final songs could/should be on the radio. best rap competition show ever, hands down.

Edub

Veteran
Daps
I’m late...but this shyt is dope, episode 7 and I’m all in. There have been some definite robberies tho...def haven’t agreed with all the judgments. Chance has gained a lot of points wit me after watchin this so far tho....

Edub

Veteran
Daps
Cardi look like she seein London B as comp after her video:mjlol:

manyfaces

Superstar
Daps
Real shyt.....Eminem got people thinkin Detroit is whiteboy-hip hop city:mjlol:.....y’all gotta flip that shyt
I'm saying though, the blackest city in the fukking country and you got this white muthafukka up here frontin, in a rap competition of all things, talking bout he from Detroit:stopitslime: nikka I smell the Macomb county stench from my couch:scusthov:

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Started binging this. Got up to the battle rap episode. Man, I liked Beanz a lot but got damn at what Flawless did to her.

I'm conflicted about them having rap battles in this. It was fun to watch and it's certainly an integral part of hip hop but I feel like it eliminated a few of the rappers who really could've thrived in the songwriting and performance episodes, most blatant being Old Man Saxon who I thought was the most unique out of all the contestants.

When I saw D Smoke my first reaction was "he looks like Sir" so it didn't surprise me they were related. He's dope but I don't like that they have someone on there who has an obvious industry connection.

I like the fact that the show focuses on the music and not stupid backstage "drama" and fights though all the struggle backstories are getting kind of old. Seems like it's pretty much a requirement that you need to have a family member who's either dead or incarcerated in order to get on the show

But overall I'm enjoying this a lot and I like that it's showcasing the actual craft and skill that goes into rapping