Revisiting the Final Fantasy XIII series

Styles

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The H
I remember playing this game nonstop and beating it within a week. But it didn't leave an impression on me, live every other FF i've played.

13-2, I couldn't play for more than an hour. Bushes.

Styles

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The H
So I came back to this game on PC because of the FFXV hype, and I remember why it didn't leave an impression on me.

Everyone in here is pretty much on point. This is just a dungeon crawler with an anime plot thrown on top of it. Walk, fight, cutscenes, fight, boss,cutscene. Repeat.

With that said, I'm still enjoying it for what it is. Battle system is really fun and the game is actually pretty tough. If you try to go into any fight half assed you can get worked. Strategy takes priority in every fight, much moreso in boss fights. Music and graphics are A1 and that added to my enjoyment as well. I started playing the Japanese version with subs and actually the characters are much more tolerable as well. The voice in acting in English was pretty cringey as times, especially Vanille.

But yeah this barely feels like a FF, without the exploration, mini games, summons and towns. Hopefully XV fixes all of this.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
So I came back to this game on PC because of the FFXV hype, and I remember why it didn't leave an impression on me.

Everyone in here is pretty much on point. This is just a dungeon crawler with an anime plot thrown on top of it. Walk, fight, cutscenes, fight, boss,cutscene. Repeat.

With that said, I'm still enjoying it for what it is. Battle system is really fun and the game is actually pretty tough. If you try to go into any fight half assed you can get worked. Strategy takes priority in every fight, much moreso in boss fights. Music and graphics are A1 and that added to my enjoyment as well. I started playing the Japanese version with subs and actually the characters are much more tolerable as well. The voice in acting in English was pretty cringey as times, especially Vanille.

But yeah this barely feels like a FF, without the exploration, mini games, summons and towns. Hopefully XV fixes all of this.
I loved the battle system of XIII, I also liked the characters Fang, Lightning and Sazh. By the end of the game Lightning actually shows a bit of growth as a person. The sequels totally butcher her though and Lightning Returns has one of the corniest endings I've seen in a game. I liked the troll ending of XIII-2. People were so pissed about it but to me it was ballsy.

videogamestashbox.com

Hotep
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
When I win I bring we with me

ThreadNecro.gif

Czerka

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I just started ffxiii-2 but having major issues on PC. Nonstop crashes and slow frame rates. Really wanna play the game but this is a headache

Czerka

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
im suprirised by how much im enjoying xiii-2 :leon: the music mostly a big step down except for a couple standouts. but some of the mechanics they've added make the game a lot more interesting. the story is even more convoluted than typical JRPG shyt but gets interesting towards the end

@winb83 did they retcon all all the etro stuff for the first game or was that in the datalogs?

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
im suprirised by how much im enjoying xiii-2 :leon: the music mostly a big step down except for a couple standouts. but some of the mechanics they've added make the game a lot more interesting. the story is even more convoluted than typical JRPG shyt but gets interesting towards the end

@winb83 did they retcon all all the etro stuff for the first game or was that in the datalogs?
All I remember is they did a retcon to the ending of XIII where Lightning became Etro's protector. More than half the story of XIII was in the datalogs though. Etro was the goddess of death and reincarnation.

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
If they had just had more summons and flashier spells-ability attacks etc, no one would have said shyt

Czerka

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The game has the best troll ending ever. I can't think of another time the antagonist so thoroughly sonned all the protagonist.

they should have put caius in the first game. he wouldnt have to be the main boss, but he could have been some kind of secondary antagonist like seifer was in FF8

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
Graphics was beautiful, story was too fukking long and made no sense, and just the grind to get off the fukking planet drove me insane I took it out of my 360 waste of fukking $60!!!! :pacspit::pacspit::pacspit:

Czerka

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
just started lightning returns. doesnt even feel like a FF game, feels like im playin the witcher

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
just started lightning returns. doesnt even feel like a FF game, feels like im playin the witcher
I didn't really care for Lightning Returns. The cameos were cool but the plot was predictable and the ending was corny to me.