Revisiting the Final Fantasy XIII series

Fury616

www.illdust.com
Daps
Reppin
( o Y o )
FFXIII had the worst main cast of any FF I've played :yeshrug:

I stopped playing the game when they got to that house that got raided at night? I just couldn't take the weak story and characters anymore. The game just wasn't working for me after I realised I was thinking in my head "this dude is such a b1tch ass nicca :childplease:" after every scene,

I was kool with the battle system though.

Besides the "on rails" gameplay, Hope and Vanille single-handedly ruined the game. Snow's level of simping was off the charts and Lightning's the female Cloud stoic personality was just the icing on the cake. THese were the worst characters since FF12 and I only like two characters from that game.

cfountain

Wavy Like A Lake
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Louisiana
I lost interest in 13 and never finished it(stopped in Chapter 11 in the Tower). i bought the game again, played for 10 minutes from my same save, realized I couldnt pretend I had any interest in playing it anymore and took it back. it started cool but it just felt like the entire game overstayed its welcome.

that may be why I really enjoyed 13-2. it ended for me around the place I lost interest in 13(around the 30 hour mark). so yeah....enjoyed 13-2 WAY more.

I dont know much about lightning returns except that they changed things up again. I'll wait for the price drop and keep a look out for player impressions.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Besides the "on rails" gameplay, Hope and Vanille single-handedly ruined the game. Snow's level of simping was off the charts and Lightning's the female Cloud stoic personality was just the icing on the cake. THese were the worst characters since FF12 and I only like two characters from that game.
there's nothing wrong with Hope. he was a kid and his mother died. he was pissed at Snow and plotted his revenge. Hope wasn't some born hero he was literally just a regular kid that got dragged into some BS. if you simply go by how he behaves then yeah he'd be annoying but if you consider the whole character and how he moved on from that and in the future became a leader of mankind he's a better character than people give him credit for.

Vanille walked around acting dumb because she felt guilty for the role she played in everything. In her narration she's totally different than she behaves around the characters. yeah she's way too oversexualized riding around making sexual noises on a monster that looks like a giant penis but i can't really say i like or dislike her.

these aren't bad characters. some of them aren't likable but there's more development to these characters than most haters of the XIII series wanna admit. Van and Penelo these aren't.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I thought they removed all of the stuff that made final fantasy games so appealing to me.

Towns, exploration, interesting characters/side stories, mini games/tasks, summons, ect.

And they just left walking, fighting and an over emotional, cliched story that i didn't even have the patience or desire to finish.

For me ff13 is the most disappinting game ever. I was so hyped to play this game and it let me down in every way.

teacher

All Star
Daps
I thought they removed all of the stuff that made final fantasy games so appealing to me.

Towns, exploration, interesting characters/side stories, mini games/tasks, summons, ect.

And they just left walking, fighting and an over emotional, cliched story that i didn't even have the patience or desire to finish.

For me ff13 is the most disappinting game ever. I was so hyped to play this game and it let me down in every way.
probably because it was multiplat the 360 ruined it :troll:

Prince Akeem

Its not that deep breh....
Daps
FFXIII by itself isn't a bad game at all...But as Final Fantasy game it underwhelms. It also has one of the most cringe worthy scenes I have ever witness in video game.

In terms of the characters....Sazh was far and away the best one. He was the only one that actually came across as a person. Everybody else came across as a bunch of shytty anime tropes.

Tunez

Lloyd Banks Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Southside, 2gz Up
13 was my first final fantasy game and rpg besides pokemon and shyt was mad hard for me I think I ended up using an IGN guide the whole time, I don't see how you bros do it :lupe:

Jim-Carey-Calls-You-A-Pathetic-Loser-In-Dumb-and-Dumber-No-Offense.gif

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Finished XIII not long after it came out, I liked the battle system but the story/characters were wack IMO. Lightning herself was ok but the rest of the characters sucked. Especially that kid - whinest character EVER.

Haven't tried XIII-2 yet, I may give it a shot down the line...hopefully the story got better.

Kingshango

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
probably because it was multiplat the 360 ruined it :troll:

I've read somewhere that due to the changes in the engine and developers switching in between projects, FF13 ended up taking 18 months to make proper.

So all that time after it's reveal back in 2006, development of the game didn't get off the ground till late 2008. The switch between the "White Engine" and "Crystal Tools" ruined the development process of the game and basically became one big waste of time now that the Luminous Engine is replacing it.

Champion

#RxLife #UCF #FAMU
Daps
Reppin
Chi-Town to Tampa
Weakest mainline FF game and borderline garbage. I thought the story was a mess and the characters were bland...which are 2 of the areas a good RPG needs to have. XIII-2 was better but not by much.

Hopefully Nomura can right the ship with XV. :sadcam: We need FF to stay strong for this genre to stay healthy.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan

there really isn't much freedom in JRPGS. all that stuff you're talking about is nothing more than an illusion. towns full of people who say the same couple lines over and over again in limbo.

all XIII did was stop pretending to give people "freedom" the dungeons are straight up lines filled with monsters and cut scenes as you walk them.

as for the story. a God kills his mother but instead of dying she simply crosses over to another plain of existence. he wants to go there and destroy her so he creates three children tasked with discovering a way for him to reach her. one of his "children" Etro he realizes he unconsciously creates in the image of his mother so he strips her of her purpose and disowns her. she commits suicide by tearing her body apart and crosses over to the realm the God's mother exist in. one of the other three creations uses the fragments of her body to create humanity.

his three original children create other children like themselves to watch over and guide their creations (humanity) to prosperity then leave. the children are unable to kill the humans directly and eventually they hatch a plan to trap all of humanity in an orb in the sky and drop the orb to the ground causing massive death and opening the gates to the other world the original God's mother crossed over into. the main XIII game is them executing their plan forcing the main characters of the game into servitude to drop coc00n and kill all humans.

i mean i'm glossing over this stuff but that's not a cliche story really. most of that stuff isn't in the original game's cut scenes but in the datalogs and alternate sources. it becomes more apparent in the second game and then he third game is directly about it.

Kalut

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I honestly couldn't stand this game. I've been a FF stan since I was a kid, but damn this game jus killed it for me. I had to force myself through 3 hours of gameplay before I jus couldn't take it and called it quits. It just wasn't my style, but at least some of you enjoyed it...:yeshrug:I just couldn't relate to it from the get go an wasnt willing to play through the struggle

Urahara_Kisuke

12th Squad O.G.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
12th Squad
Was anyone else bothered by the fact the game auto-healed you after every battle? That made the game feel a little too easy for me. It's also super linear -- you ain't exploring shyt. Controlling one person while the other 2 guys cast a bunch of spells you don't want them to cast got a little annoying as well. It's definitely a bottom 3 Final Fantasy game in my opinion.

FF13-2........you fight with monsters you catch instead of having a real party. :daffy:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
there really isn't much freedom in JRPGS. all that stuff you're talking about is nothing more than an illusion. towns full of people who say the same couple lines over and over again in limbo.

all XIII did was stop pretending to give people "freedom" the dungeons are straight up lines filled with monsters and cut scenes as you walk them.

as for the story. a God kills his mother but instead of dying she simply crosses over to another plain of existence. he wants to go there and destroy her so he creates three children tasked with discovering a way for him to reach her. one of his "children" Etro he realizes he unconsciously creates in the image of his mother so he strips her of her purpose and disowns her. she commits suicide by tearing her body apart and crosses over to the realm the God's mother exist in. one of the other three creations uses the fragments of her body to create humanity.

his three original children create other children like themselves to watch over and guide their creations (humanity) to prosperity then leave. the children are unable to kill the humans directly and eventually they hatch a plan to trap all of humanity in an orb in the sky and drop the orb to the ground causing massive death and opening the gates to the other world the original God's mother crossed over into. the main XIII game is them executing their plan forcing the main characters of the game into servitude to drop coc00n and kill all humans.

i mean i'm glossing over this stuff but that's not a cliche story really. most of that stuff isn't in the original game's cut scenes but in the datalogs and alternate sources. it becomes more apparent in the second game and then he third game is directly about it.

The "illusion" is why I like RPGs so much. The good ones take you to a world and let you feel like a part of that world. Ff13 just feels like I'm watching from the outside. And I never made it to the second or third game, so the story never made much sense to me. From what you described it does sound interesting, but I think they hid it behind too much other stuff about the characters that was not very interesting.