Religion, Race, and Rebellion

Yehuda

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Crazy that the Male Revolutionaries wore images of Dessalines.

That story spread like wildfire. Heads in Curaçao were practically naming themselves after Haitians.

[...] The island’s commercial character made for a remarkably open society. This applies not only to its resident population, but also to the fact that a significant proportion of the urban male population consisted of sailors with direct access to the neighbouring colonies and of free and enslaved townsmen working in the harbour and therefore having regular contacts with sailors from foreign places. By definition the openness also extended to the many sailors disembarking in the Willemstad port. Curaçao was a vital hub in transatlantic, but even more so in regional trade carried out with both the Spanish Main and the islands to the North.

Figures for trade connections in the late eighteenth century underline the island’s regional connectedness in no uncertain terms. Roughly half of all ships entering or clearing the port at Willemstad were Spanish, followed by ships from a wide variety of other nations. After 1795, contacts with the British Isles were temporarily cut off because the French occupation of the Netherlands had automatically turned the British into enemies. The share of French ships was modest, yet the few dozen ships visiting Curaçao annually originated predominantly from Les Cayes and Jacmel in southern Saint-Domingue and therefore their crews must have carried the news from the emerging Haitian Revolution with them.4 Seen from this perspective, the frequent allusions of the leaders of the 1795 slave revolt to ‘French liberty’ come as no surprise. [...]

Contemporary accounts of the revolt have left dramatic testimonies of the revolt’s foremost leader, a slave called Tula, who may have been born outside of Curaçao and most likely had spent time in the French Caribbean; he was also known as ‘Rigaud’. In conversations with the Catholic priest Jacobus Schinck, who had been commissioned to convince the slaves to capitulate, Tula reportedly made several statements demonstrating his knowledge of the French and Haitian revolutions. ‘We have been badly treated for too long, we do not want to do anybody harm, but we seek our freedom, the French [Caribbean] blacks have been given their freedom, Holland has been taken over by the French, hence we too must be free’. Drawing on Christian rhetoric as well, Tula told the priest that all people share the same parents, Adam and Eve. Talking about the abuse intrinsic to slavery, Tula added that animals were treated better than slaves – hence the right to revolt.

The 1795 revolt was inspired not simply by the abstract ideals of the Haitian Revolution, but most likely by individuals with an intimate acquaintance with developments both in Europe and in the Caribbean. In the French Caribbean, the metropolitan revolution had fueled hopes for change of the status quo and had exacerbated social tensions, eventually leading to the start of the revolution in Saint-Domingue in 1791. Other French Caribbean colonies seemed on the verge of following this example – between 1789 and 1794, there was a series of revolts in Guadeloupe, Martinique, St. Lucia, and Dominica. From 1795 onwards, the circle widened with revolts and conspiracies in the Spanish Caribbean and Tierra Firme, in particular the Coro region, as well as in the British colonies and in Dutch Demerara and, indeed, Curaçao (Geggus 1997:46-50). In Europe, revolutionary France had proclaimed a law for the Emancipation of slavery in 1794. Moreover, in 1795 French troops had invaded the Republic of the United Provinces and turned it into a vassal state, the Batavian Republic. This news was officially published in Curaçao in May 1795. There was no mention of a French takeover, but rather of the signing of a pact of friendship and alliance between France and the new Batavian Republic (Schiltkamp and De Smidt 1978:508).

As the chapter by Wim Klooster attests, revolutionary ideas circulated widely in the Caribbean, no matter what measures authorities took to stop the flow of information and rumours. In his contribution Han Jordaan indeed demonstrates that the Curaçao government was worried about slaves from Saint-Domingue being sold on the island under the pretence that they were directly imported from Africa. Certainly because of these direct links with Saint-Domingue and the island’s intensive connections to nearby colonies, the Curaçaoan insurgents were well aware of what was going on in the French Caribbean. Priest Schinck heard them singing French revolutionary songs, and one of Tula’s main men, a slave named Mercier, had chosen the nickname Toussaint. The insurgents repeatedly claimed that support from revolutionary Saint-Domingue would be forthcoming – either a strategic boasting or a tragic miscalculation (Do Rego and Janga 2009:66). [...]

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
In my research "spirituality" more than "religion" was the key factor in these continuous uprisings and resistance. They had a base knowledge of a God but they did not follow a uniformed religion.

A great comprehensive book to read is: Slave religion : the "invisible institution" in the Antebellum South by Raboteau, Albert J

One thing I don't ever see mentioned is Guerrilla Warfare by our ancestors -- they were not playing. It was armed resistance continuously going on:

Confederate Brigadier-General R. F. Floyd asked Governor Milton of Florida on April 11, 1862, to declare martial law in Nassau, Duvar, Clay, Putnam, St. John’s and Volusia Counties, “as a measure of absolute necessity, as they contain a nest of traitors and lawless negroes.” 49 In October, 1862, a scouting party of three armed whites, investigating a maroon camp containing one hundred men, women, and children in Surry County, Virginia, were killed by these fugitives. 50 Governor Shorter of Alabama commissioned J. H. Clayton in January, 1863, to destroy the nests in the southeastern part of the state of “deserters, traitors, and runaway Negroes.” 51 Colonel Hatch of the Union Army reported in August, 1864, that “500 Union men, deserters, and negroes were . . . raiding towards Gainsville,” Florida. The same month a Confederate officer, John K. Jackson, declared that: Many deserters. . .are collected in the swamps and fastnesses of Taylor, La Fayette, Levy and other counties [in Florida], and have organized.

A Confederate newspaper noticed similar activities in North Carolina in 1864. It reported: [It is] difficult to find words of description ... of the wild and terrible consequences of the negro raids in this obscure . . . theatre of the war . . 7o counties of Currituck and Camden, there are said to be from five to six hundred negroes, who are not in the regular military organization of the Yankees, but who, outlawed and disowned by their masters, lead the lives of banditti, roving the country with fire and committing a sorts of horrible crimes upon the inhabitants.

This present theatre of guerrilla warfare has, at this time, a most important interest for our authorities. It is described as a rich country. . . and one of the most important sources of meat supplies that is now accessible to our armies. . . •

Source: To Be Free: Studies in American Negro History : Herbert Aptheker : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

------------

Armed Fugitive Slaves and Slave Riots
Joseph Vallence Beven papers, MS 71
Contains correspondence dating from 1787 between George Mathews, Thomas Pinckney, and General James Jackson concerning armed fugitive slaves

Joseph Frederick Waring II papers, MS 1275
Contains 35 items on African-American churches (not dated); 18 items on African-American members of the Republican Party of Georgia from 1867-1869; slave bills of sale from 1856-1859; a list of slaves from 1859, leases to African-Americans from 1865-1866, and a letter from 1851 which discusses a fugitive slave riot.

Source: http://savannahnow.com/accent/2014-...roup-helps-african-americans-research-history

i0FzdQx.png

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
Yeah, I didn't want to dive into the mechanics of resistance so not to stray from my very simple points.

But, you had maroon communities all over the US states i.e. Great Dismal swamp maroons in NC and VA.

Guerrilla warfare is probably best shown at places like Fort Moses and Fort Gadsden.

As said earlier, the sheer landmass of the US and the large White population made resistance a much steeper slope than other places.

Imagine if Nat Turner, Denmark Vesey, and Gabriel Prosser lived close enough to coordinate an attack together?

I think the fact there are plenty of instances of practitioners of Islamic, Christian, and ASR belief systems is beautiful.

Also, there needs to be a deeper dive into the Kongolese/Angolan Christians...those dudes were key agents in damn near every rebellion from day one.

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
Yeah, I didn't want to dive into the mechanics of resistance so not to stray from my very simple points.

But, you had maroon communities all over the US colonies i.e. Great Dismal swamp maroons in NC and VA.

Guerrilla warfare is probably best shown at places like Fort Moses and Fort Gadsden.

As said earlier, the sheer landmass of the US and the large White population made resistance a much steeper slope than other places.

Imagine if Nat Turner, Denmark Vesey, and Gabriel Prosser lived close enough to coordinate an attack together?

I think the fact there are plenty of instances of practitioners of Islamic, Christian, and ASR belief systems is beautiful.

Good point. I have seen examples all over the south. I’ll list some resources later.

But, I think the “leaders” aka Nat”s and Denmark’s take away from the everyday armed resistance that was happening. Fugitive communities did more rebelling and killing than all of the known uprisings all together IMO. They killed to protect themselves (and their families) freedom.

Honestly, I am not sure how it would have worked. It was about access to weapons and location/border states.

Those in the deep South like Alabama — they couldn’t have gotten out like that. Cause they have to go through Georgia, Florida or Tennessee but they had to make it through Alabama first. Which, was very difficult to do.

When I went to Alabama this summer, plantations were right next to eachother.. and it’s was long ass roads to get out of town.. only to be in another town.

The only freedom they had was to live in the woods.I checked the areas where some of Maroon locations were they were and it was all types of snakes and animals in those woods — they were some soldiers. They had to have something watching over them to get through that.

Last edited:

MaxPain

Hispaniola Exchange Student
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Where It’s Not Safe
Excellent topic.

I admit im not as well educated on this topic as u guys are (and im still learning about it), and im confused myself on what to beleive. I do beleive in a God/higher being, bad and evil spirits, and have experienced the good bad and ugly of religion as well. However it just never sat well with me how religion has been forced on and used to oppress people. I guess thats where im at in the cross roads. On one hand, the Bible was rewritten plenty times and used to justify slavery and oppression. The other hand Islam was forced on a lot of Africans and the Arabs had plenty of slaves themselves. Then the African spiritualities I just personally had bad experiences with.

Im not a big fan of African spirituality either, having bad experiences with it in the past.

At this point to avoid any labels and since Im still somewhat confused (?) on what to beleive I just say I beleive in a God . But @Diasporan Royalty brought up a good point in how its used. American christianity in my opinion isnt meant for black people and if it is , it hasnt been used correctly especially given its history. I grew up in a Catholic home and im totally turned off from it.

Good thread @Poitier

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
Good point. I have seen examples all over the south. I’ll list some resources later.

But, I think the “leaders” aka Nat”s and Denmark’s take away from the everyday armed resistance that was happening. Fugitive communities did more rebelling and killing than all of the known uprisings all together IMO. They killed to protect their (and their families) freedom.

Honestly, I am not sure how it would have worked. It was about access to weapons and location/border states.

Those in the deep South like Alabama — they couldn’t have gotten out like that. Cause they have to go through Georgia, Florida or Tennessee but they had to make it through Alabama first. Which, was very difficult to do.

When I went to Alabama this summer, plantations were right next to eachother.. and it’s was long ass roads to get out of town.. only to be in another town.

The only freedom they had was to live in the woods.I checked the areas where some of Maroon locations were they were and it was all types of snakes and animinals in those woods — they were some soldiers. They had to have something watching over them to get through that.

If you were in Georgia, you could maybe make it to Florida. If you were in Florida, you had the Bahamas or Haiti or Cuba. If you were in Texas then you had Mexico. If you were in the Mid Atlantic or upper portion of the South, there were places like Cincinnati.

Enslaved Africans in Alabama, Louisiana, or Mississippi :wow:

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
If you were in Georgia, you could maybe make it to Florida. If you were in Florida, you had the Bahamas or Haiti or Cuba. If you were in Texas then you had Mexico. If you were in the Mid Atlantic or upper portion of the South, there were places like Cincinnati.

Enslaved Africans in Alabama, Louisiana, or Mississippi :wow:

Yeah man...Alabama...that’s where both sides of my sides were. They were shyt out of luck. Ain’t now way they was getting out of that.

That’s how I learned about Deep South versus Upper South.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
Excellent topic.

I admit im not as well educated on this topic as u guys are (and im still learning about it), and im confused myself on what to beleive. I do beleive in a God/higher being, bad and evil spirits, and have experienced the good bad and ugly of religion as well. However it just never sat well with me how religion has been forced on and used to oppress people. I guess thats where im at in the cross roads. On one hand, the Bible was rewritten plenty times and used to justify slavery and oppression. The other hand Islam was forced on a lot of Africans and the Arabs had plenty of slaves themselves. Then the African spiritualities I just personally had bad experiences with.

Im not a big fan of African spirituality either, having bad experiences with it in the past.

At this point to avoid any labels and since Im still somewhat confused (?) on what to beleive I just say I beleive in a God . But @Diasporan Royalty brought up a good point in how its used. American christianity in my opinion isnt meant for black people and if it is , it hasnt been used correctly especially given its history. I grew up in a Catholic home and im totally turned off from it.

Good thread @Poitier

Yeah, I lean spiritual as well but I grew up in an atheist household so I never really had any type of indignation for other belief systems.

All ideological systems can be good or bad just depending on who is wielding it.

We gotta evaluate each Black man on their own merit instead of automatically labeling them as a c00n or righteous due to their religious affiliations.

Catholicism has had a pretty remarkable impact on Black culture worldwide good and bad. I want to make it out to NOLA and Trinidad this year.

Last edited:

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
Great thread and alot of stuff I was thinking about it. Topography and obviously the black to white population ratio were a huge element to slave revolts.

Haiti having at least a 10:1 enslaved African to White ratio at the time of the revolution is bonkers when that doesn't even factor in free people of color :wow:

29073_r646x861.jpg

census-of-1860.jpg

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
Haiti having at least a 10:1 enslaved African to White ratio at the time of the revolution is bonkers when that doesn't even factor in free people of color :wow:

29073_r646x861.jpg

census-of-1860.jpg

Here's another chart that showcases a more detailed view. Crazy half of Mississippi was half and half .. and the richest state in the South at one time.
Screen_Shot_2017_12_24_at_9_38_40_PM.png

1860 Census Results

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
Excellent topic.

Good thread @Poitier

I wasn't raised in a Christian household but my family is very spiritual and more so practiced a mixed of things - both sides - but they did use the Bible and "spirit" as well. They used/use a version of ATR and the Bible together.

I know I preach this a lot on here - but you have to do your tree to find out what your ancestors were practicing and their spiritual beliefs - it's a great way to come full circle. It also pushes you through your own spiritual journey - so you will get clear on your beliefs and such.

For instance, I knew my maternal Great Grannies were midwives - but I also knew they did some other stuff - like many Blacks from Alabama and the South in general do. When I went to Alabama last year for genealogy research I found out that one of them was interviewed for: Hoodoo Conjuration WItchcraft & Rootwork : Harry Middleton Hyatt : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive -- that was :unsure:

Many Blacks from the South incorporated spiritual beliefs or remnants of ATR with the Bible/Christianity - and they still do.

For instance, Pastor C.H. Mason:
tumblr_o52b36chL51t3ggw3o1_1280.jpg

Mason was born the son of former slaves Jerry and Eliza Mason in Shelby County, Tennessee. He used "Hoodoo" and used magical sticks and items to heal and pray.​

Last edited:

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta