Refuting the myth that Black American music/culture is "Europeanized".

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
While I agree with the premise of this thread in a lot of ways, I kind of disagree with the whole
lack of a European influence. What makes "African Americans", "American" is we're "Africans" in
the new world. Our music and cultural leanings are a direct result of that, out of all of the pain
and ugliness something really, really beautiful came along which is our unique musical heritage.
This isn't to say that "African" music isn't THERE in Black music, it's just to say that there's also some of Europe in there.

Jazz for example is a highly rhythmic form of music and relies on that syncopation to break what was then considered
conventional musical rules.

Look at a Bebop scale for example, it has 8 notes versus 7, it's played with a different rhythmic emphasis
and it's built around being able to change keys with relative ease (passing tones). This was and still is a fukking
revolutionary idea but it's basis clearly comes from a melding of classical music (adding onto the diatonic 7 note scale)
and BLACK music (heavy rhythmic emphasis, swing, space in the music etc.). Leading into a unique language
that's recognized the world over as a distinctly (African) American Art form.

Some of the absolute giants in the genre have even had "Classical" training (Nina Simone Soul/Blues/Jazz musician was
classically trained from a young age and Miles davis had no problem studying European masters) but the music they ultimately
released was as "Black" as it fukking gets.

So to me, I don't see "European" influence as something inherently bad and before anyone mistakes what I'm saying here,
I won't go so far as to attribute it this radical new music that came about to Europe.
Chart Black American Music and you get a pretty unmatched influenced on the whole planet for the past 100 and something years.

Daps
Reppin
Midwest/East Coast/Tx (Now in Canada)
Nope. There are people that seriously think that AA culture is westernized/white washed due to there being lack in percussion. I WAS RECENTLY having an argument about this on another site which made me want to create this thread. I'm surprised hearing people say they never heard about this.
Dc go-go >>>> pot-pan banana music.

blackzeus

Superstar
Daps
Mouth bow
1212463_orig.jpg

Roger-Troutman-in-California-Love.jpg

The more things change the more they stay the same :ohhh:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
White people who like to claim black america music as their culture say this constantly.

the old white musicologists did this for 2 reasons

1. They wanted to paint "african" music as being primitive and limited as possible.

2. They needed to convince themselves as much as possible that the afram music in question (mid to late 19th and early 20th century music) was European which is why the white masses were attracted to the various forms and sounds.

3rdWorld

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Africa gave Europe all its finer music and culture..cacs just like to put their name on anything significant that's Black. They are known thieves that hide behind being rich and use that to give the impression they are rich because they are inventive so it had to be them that invented genres etc..

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
White people who like to claim black america music as their culture say this constantly.

If you read old music journals and publications from the 1800's and early 1900's, white musical academia tried their hardest to claim music pioneered by aframs. Even now there are ones who try to paint Jazz, RocknRoll and Blues as some type "white americans and black americans coming together" type of music.

im_sleep

Superstar
Daps
Gotta question...

Is there any strong cases of music similar to the blues in other parts of the diaspora?

I ask cuz I was hard pressed to find anything till I found this from the Bahamas

:jbhmm:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Gotta question...

Is there any strong cases of music similar to the blues in other parts of the diaspora?

nope

I ask cuz I was hard pressed to find anything till I found this from the Bahamas

:jbhmm:

spence was familiar with american idioms and played a mixture of calypso, blues, gospel hymns and jazz in a "folkish" way

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
To add to this...

AA have a more distinct Senegambian/Sahel element than most Latin/South/Caribs which is why the we have the Blues (more string-lute based than drums with melissmatic vocal styles rather than chanting) and those areas don't.

Origins of slaves based on proportion

South America

USA

Carib

This is why the Blues is unlike any other music in the diaspora. It has more of a connection to "Griot" or "Sahelian" West Africa that the drum dominated or the region which is dominated by asymmetrical timeline patterns.

8yszPyB.jpg

A comparison between the Upper West African influenced Blues and the lower West/Central African drum based Cuban music

h5aC2cH.png

ghyZTdm.png

S7hqZ5r.png

gTszPes.png

4FaO3Ld.png

fojN96f.png

xLzPdPx.png

to add to this

cl2XRch.jpg

Nt9y5EN.jpg

tF76Adn.jpg