Refuting the myth that Black American music/culture is "Europeanized".

Supper

All Star
Daps
I didn't say that black American music has no influences from Africa. I'm well aware of the fact that Jazz, Blues, etc. contain many African elements. The thing is, they also contain European elements, one of which is expressing sadness/sorrow to a degree not found in traditional African music. Learn to read before you quote me again hoe.

I'm not gonna go back and fourth with a smart dumb nikka who purposefully misinterprets things so that he can win an argument.

The "Sadness and sorrow" you often, but not always, hear expressed by blues artist are that of field hollers & work singers that came before them(I'm not talking about your personal "feewings" as the listener) were simply a product of the harsh conditions of slavery and the post-emancipation reconstruction era. They simply sung about their day to day life. But the pitch and timbre of their songs and chants were inline which that of work singers in the West African Sahel region. How you can just decide to arbitrarily assign that to European origins which have all fukk to due with it while ignoring the obvious environmental factors that influenced their mood escapes yet assures me that I'm dealing with an attention seeking chode that just wants to have his word heard in a forum which he's clearly not intellectually equipped to partake in, otherwise. You'd think a guy would be smart enough to ease up on the troll whoring when his rep points get to the red like that.

Last edited:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
I disagree with your statement on music. Black American music evokes a wide range of emotions not found in traditional African music.

:stopitslime: every culture in the world is able through music to reflect numerous emotions

African music is almost exclusively upbeat and happy,

No it's not

whereas genres like Jazz and Blues elicit emotions ranging from happiness to weariness to subtle melancholy. Some Gospel music is downright depressing. This aspect of black American music is definitely Western in origin.

see video

You’ve played with American blues artists Eric Bibb and Bonnie Raitt—what common ground do you see between traditional Malian music and American blues?

This music arrived in the USA by African slaves, with a feeling of nostalgia for the country that has been left by the ancestors. Everyone has brought his roots, culture … So you can find for sure some similitude with some African music, especially from the desert. It’s also a music played by people who have a certain freedom. In Africa, in Mali, the blues is played especially in the north areas, in the desert by people free, they play alone, for the wind, for the birds or in the companies of other people like a friendly moment in the day. In the U.S., the blues was played by people who had not a nice life and this music gave to them probably a moment of freedom, during which they can express all their feelings. There are also commonalities in the musical way. The blues is played in pentatonic … like all the music from the desert. The similarities are real.

http://www.newsreview.com/chico/sounds-of-afriki/content?oid=937017

also

Rebel Blues in the Sahara: A Desert Guitar Primer

Tinariwen and Assouf
The roots of today's Kel Tamashek guitar revolution lie in varied soil. From a purely musical standpoint, it descends from traditional chant music played on distant relatives of the guitar, which in turn draws from sources north and south. The music of Al Andalus to the north-- a family of sounds extending from flamenco in Spain through Arabesque and Berber orchestras in North Africa and Lebanese string music-- is one source of input, while the myriad musics of the Sahel, a semi-arid band of land that spans Africa to the south of the Sahara, are also close relatives.
The pentatonic scales echo those heard along the curve of the Niger River, and it's easy to draw a line through the music of Senegal, Guinea, southern Mali, and other parts of West Africa straight to American blues. This YouTube video isn't much to look at, but it's soundtracked by a Tamashek chant recorded in the 1930s that offers a good glimpse of the connection between traditional Kel Tamashek music and the modern, electrified version (I believe the stringed instrument is a tehardent, a three-stringed lute related to the ngoni and ultimately the guitar):

http://pitchfork.com/features/articles/6814-rebel-blues-in-the-sahara-a-desert-guitar-primer/

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Ummm...no need to get your panties in a bunch. It's well known that traditional African music (meaning that which doesn't have influences from Europe or elsewhere) is up beat and happy. It typically does not evoke a wide range of emotions. If you believe otherwise, then provide some evidence. Don't whine like a little hoe.

You sound like one of those types that thinks all African music is drumming music with no variety:comeon:

Go to any rural area of Africa where people play traditional African music.
Modern African music, e.g. Afrobeats, popular in many urban parts of West Africa, has influences from other regions. It's still distinctly African though, and it's more upbeat than most black American genres. You can't find me an African genre that evokes sadness to the degree that some black American genres do. Not even close. Is that a bad thing? I guess that depends on how you look at it.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
The "Sadness and sorrow" you often, but not always, hear expressed by blues artist are that of field hollers & work singers that came before them(I'm not talking about your personal "feewings" as the listener) were simply a product of the harsh conditions of slavery and the post-emancipation reconstruction era. They simply sung about their day to day life.

Yup

But the pitch and timbre of their songs and chants were inline which that of work singers in the West African Sahel region. .

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
The thing is, they also contain European elements, one of which is expressing sadness/sorrow to a degree not found in traditional African music.

Find me native British Isles music (Anglo-Celtic) that sounds anything similar to Blues music/vocal techniques. I can easily find stuff from Africa with a similar vibe

vs

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Minor pent in Blues is the "sad sound"..and yes it's in West African music

B.E.: As I understand it, this instability helps to explain why there are some pretty striking similarities between Bambara music and American blues, particularly the scale and tonality of the music. Amid all these small wars, many slaves were taken, and a number of them ended up in the Senegambian slave ports, and then in places like Charleston, North Carolina, and of course, New Orleans. Talk about that connection a little bit.

C.K.: You know, slavery as an institution still needs to be studied. Its impact on Africa is yet to be fully understood. But it is sure that it went on for too long, for centuries and centuries. And the kingdoms of the Bambara, the Bamana, coming in the 17th, 18th centuries, with this high level of instability and hostility between warlords or chiefs or small kings fighting each other, was a process that certainly fed into this horrible trade. It had been going on for centuries and centuries, since in fact Europe started to sail to the west coast of Africa. They opened this hemorrhage of Africans towards the New World. But when one talks specifically about the Bamana Empire, yes, it is clear that the kingdoms that fought each other became a major source of supply of slaves that were later taken to the coast. Although the Europeans were starting to ban official slavery, these kingdoms continued to supply slaves that were either used throughout West Africa, or still being carried to the New World. And I think that’s why many musicologists suspect that the musical traditions that were born in the blacks, who were descendents of slaves, or who were slaves themselves, carried with them the musical traditions of that part of Africa, of the hinterland of Africa, of Mali, of the Segu area.

And I would even venture to say that hunter’s music probably was part of the influences that was transported into the New World. When I listen to certain blues songs, as they are based on a single instrument in the case of the guitar, I always think of the simbi, of the single hunter bard singing praises, or singing about his life, the challenges and the joys of his life. So I always think of the blues singer. And I can also hear the influences of hunter’s music on the blues. One particular album that really struck me, that I just love, is Kulanjan by Taj Mahal and Toumani Diabate. This to me is one of the best collaborations possible. And one of the musical experiments that probably came the closest to carrying some of those old musical idioms.

kulanjan.jpg

There is one song on that particular album. I’m thinking of “Mississippi Mali Blues.” Really, when I hear it, there is something old, something that goes back to the hunter’s musical tradition. They were able to capture the point of convergence between those traditions. The American musical traditions, born out of slavery, and the African traditions, as they exist today, and as they have evolved. You really find a convergence of these things.

B.E.: Fascinating. And this history you’ve just described provides a pretty clear explanation of why that might be the case. I always remember Bassekou Kouyate, the great ngoni player, talking about how he thought Bambara music sounded the closest to the blues because of the [minor pentatonic] scale, because of the melodies.

C.K.: That is true. And that kind of melodic line, as you say, was supported by instruments such as the simbi, or the ngoni, which later developed into the banjo. Because you have that tradition of string instruments, many of them coming from hunter’s instruments, and also a repertoire of songs that was somehow cultivated in the New World. So I think the blues certainly can trace its origin back to this. So that’s why when I hear collaborations such as Taj Mahal and Toumani’s, when I hear certain songs by Ali Farka Touré, I cannot help but think of these waves of musical traditions going from Africa to the New World.

http://www.afropop.org/9858/cherif-keita-on-the-history-of-malian-music/

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
@Deadoo whoever wrote that nonsense should be fukked up for spreading lies!

First of all scratching is nothing like dub. The fact that the writer compares dub to scratching, shows he or she has no idea what they are writing about.

Second, it was DISCO that had everyone doing the sound system thing, not reggae or any type of west Indian music. With disco it was all about the DJ and his sound system. A lot of DJs went to the store to get their equipment, so that tells you how big sound systems were in NYC. And this was before herc, bam, and flash. WAAYY before they started djing.

Go to YouTube, and search Michael waynetv. You can hear and see from the people who were there, and hear kool Herc himself say his style came from watching what was going on, not something he brought from Jamaica.

Founding Fathers Documentary: Hip Hop Did Not Start in the Bronx

Read below

To be sure, there were all kinds of mobile jocks in New York in the early 70′s. Hands down, no questions. I’ve always asked the Bronx cats that I’ve interviewed this one important question, “Yo, what impact did the Jamaican sound systems have on ya’ll?”

Everybody from Toney Tone to Kool Herc to Bambaataa said: “None, none at all. They weren’t a part of our thing. They did their own thing.”

The one time I interviewed Kool Herc I asked him about the Jamaican sound systems in the Bronx and he acknowledged knowing a few of them, but said that they had no influence or impact whatsoever.

http://hiphopandpolitics.com/2014/02/05/founding-fathers-documentary-hip-hop-start-bronx/

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Two short segments on black culture and music during antebellum slavery.

53:01 and 1:08:42

The music they were portraying at 1:09 was what they now call Old Time, fiddle & banjo music.

this kind of music is now almost 100% associated with rural/mountain whites because AfroAmers dropped the banjo and fiddle as time went on but the first time the fiddle and banjo were played together was on plantations by slaves

Rural Black String Band Music by Charles Wolfe

The first time I think I ever seen Arnold Schultz … this square dance was at Rosine, Kentucky, and Arnold and two more colored fellows come up there and played for the dance. They had a guitar, banjo, and fiddle. Arnold played the guitar but he could play the fiddle-numbers like “Sally Goodin.” People loved Arnold so well all through Kentucky there; if he was playing a guitar they’d go gang up around him till he would get tired and then maybe he’d go catch a train …. I admired him that much that I never forgot a lot of the things he would say. There’s things in my music, you know, that comes from Arnold Schultz-runs that I use in a lot of my music (Bill Monroe, quoted in Rooney 1971).1

Quotes such as this one from bluegrass star Bill Monroe are by no means atypical. For ten years I have been interviewing at length older country musicians and folk musicians from the 1920s and 1930s about that misty borderland wherein traditional American folk music was somehow transformed into commercial country music; many, many of them mention bands such as Arnold Schultz’s string band, point to them as influences, as models, as colleagues. They point to a genre of American music that most scholars have ignored and that most members of the general public do not even know existed: a genre that DeFord Bailey, the famous harmonica player on the early Grand Ole Opry, defined for me as ”black hillbilly music.” “Sure,” he said, ”black hillbilly music. Everybody around me grew up playin’ that. Fiddles and banjos and guitars; they weren’t playin’ no blues then. It was black hillbilly music” (Bailey 1975).

For years the emphasis of those studying black American folk music has been directed to religious music (the first really respectable music to study), to jazz (the first commercially successful brand of music), or to blues. Yet do these three forms really account for all of the rich variety of black music found in folk tradition-or just the most visible ones? What about the rural fife-and-drum tradition, which has lingered unnoticed in Tennessee until this present generation? What about the tradition of black non-blues secular song? And what about the tradition of the rural string band music? To explore these aspects of black music requires a great deal more digging and musical archaeology but might yield in the end results as fruitful as those coming from jazz, blues, and religious music studies.

The scanty references to rural black music in the nineteenth century reflect a flourishing string band tradition. As early as 1774, the Journal of Nicholas Cresswell, 1774-1777, describes a southern plantation party where “A great number of young people met together with a Fiddle and Banjo played by two Negroes” (quoted in Epstein 1977, 115). In the prewar South, black bands consisted of banjos and lutes; banjos, fiddles, and triangles; twin fiddles and a fife; and many other combinations (Epstein 1977). In the WPA ex-slave narratives there are hundreds of references to the fiddle and banjo; in fact, while references to fiddle-playing number 205 and banjo-playing total some 106, references to the guitar total only 15; strong evidence of the guitar’s late arrival in black folk music. (Strikingly, the majority of references to the guitar occur in south-central Mississippi.) The favorite string band combination to appear in the WPA narratives is the simple fiddle-banjo duo-the same instrumentation to dominate early white rural music (Winans 1979). Without much doubt, the fiddle was the favorite instrument of both white and black rural musicians in the nineteenth century.

Much of this tradition was still highly visible in the 1920s when commercial recording companies began to document southern music. Unfortunately, the record companies segregated this music into separate series, one designed for whites, the other for blacks. White rural music included fiddle bands, banjo tunes, sentimental songs, and a few religious pieces; black music series were dominated by country blues, gospel, preachers like Rev. Gates, and a few vaudeville numbers. A black band playing something other than blues did not fit into either stereotype; consequently, few of them were recorded. Thus, today we are left with only a pathetic handful of recordings representing this tradition in its flowering: there are perhaps as many as fifty commercial pre-war recordings that really reflect it, as opposed to some twenty thousand pre-war records of blues and gospel music. In the 1930s, when the Library of Congress got into the field, researchers were more openminded, but their equipment was woefully inadequate for recording a full string band.

Still, this minuscule sample contains some tantalizing bits. A handful of records from the late 1920s shows white and black musicians playing together, several years before jazz’s first “integrated” session. Jim Booker played “Grey Eagle” with white banjoist Marion Underwood for Taylor’s Kentucky Boys in 1927, and the black harmonica stylist El Watson recorded with the white Johnson Brothers that same year for Victor; Andrew Baxter, an Afro-Cherokee fiddler born in northwest Georgia in 1870, played regularly with white Georgia fiddlers and played lead on the Georgia Yellow Hammers’ popular 1928 recording of “G Rag.” Other recordings reflect a complex school of rural black ragtime: Dallas musician Coley Jones formed the Dallas String Band, featuring mandolin, guitar, and cello, and recorded several fascinating sides for Columbia, while Nap Hayes and Matthew Prater (The Blue Boys) recorded folk variants of Scott Joplin’s rags using mandolin and guitar. Black “hoedown” music was recorded by James Cole (probably from Indiana) and by the spectacular square dance band headed by fiddler John Lusk. This latter band, recorded by the Library of Congress in 1946, played for years in rural Tennessee, just a few miles from the birthplace of bluegrass star Lester Hatt, and featured the “pre-bluegrass” banjo styles of the late Murphy Gribble. As recently as 1976 Kip Lomell recorded a driving black fiddle-banjo team in the Blue Ridge Mountains, proving that the tradition is not entirely extinct (Virginia Traditions.

Study of black string band music is still in its infancy, but even preliminary investigations have posed some potent questions. Is (was) there a black string band repertoire distinctive from the white one? Is there an identifiable black fiddle style? Have there been characteristic and distinctive black instrumental combinations? Have geographical features affected these combinations? (Do fiddle-banjo combinations seem more common in the mountains, with guitar combinations dominant in the Deep South?) How really representative of the music were these recording sessions? How are they related to various black formal composers, like Gussie Davis, Scott Joplin, or even W. C. Handy? How were the bands that recorded related to other quasi-blues forms such as the jug or washboard band, the vaudeville or medicine show tradition, or even the tradition of the black non-blues songster which included such singers as Henry Thomas, Luke Jordan, and Jim Jackson? Until the scattered bits of evidence about this music are collected, collated, put in proper context, and studied, we can only guess at the answers.

1. Arnold Shultz, incidentally, went on to influence Kennedy Jones, who taught white musician Mose Rager, who taught Merle Travis and Chet Atkins.

http://nativeground.com/rural-black-string-band-music-charles-wolfe/

Supper

All Star
Daps
John Kooners

Pinkster Festival

Pinkster is a spring festival, taking place in late May or early June. The name is a variation of the Dutch word Pinksteren, meaning "Pentecost". Pinkster in English almost always refers to the festivals held by African Americans (both free and slave) in the Northeastern United States, particularly in the early 19th century. To the Dutch, Pinkster was a religious holiday, a chance to rest, gather, and celebrate religious services like baptisms and confirmations. For their African slaves, Pinkster was a time free from work and a chance to gather and catch up with family and friends.

Pentecost is a Christian feast falling on the seventh Sunday after Easter, in remembrance of the descent of the Holy Spirit, in the guise of flames, upon the apostles at the "Feast of the Harvest" (Ex. 23:16), also known as Whitsunday, enabling the apostles to spread the news of Christ in all languages, (glossolalia or the "gift of tongues") (Acts 2).

Pinksteren was also a celebration of the change of the seasons and of spring renewal.
Link

Reenactment

FYI @IllmaticDelta I've read the Legend of Sleepy Hollow(a story that takes place in the immediate post colonial era in the Tri-State) and it makes numerous references to "Negro Dutch" people. One of them worked as a messenger for a rich Dutch-American family.

@MC Metaphysical

Last edited:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
FYI @IllmaticDelta I've read the Legend of Sleepy Hollow(a story that takes place in the immediate post colonial era in the Tri-State) and it makes numerous references to "Negro Dutch" people. One of them worked as a messenger for a rich Dutch-American family.

Sojourner Truth was Afro-Dutch and spoke Dutch as her first language

BkcQVvr.jpg

ISABELLA was born in the village of Hurley, in Ulster County, New York, about seven miles west of the Hudson River. Hurley (its first Dutch name was Niew Dorp) lies about ninety miles north of New York City and sixty miles south of Albany. The county's original inhabitants were Waroneck (Mohawk) Indians, who called a creek that empties into the Hudson River "Esopus," meaning small river. After much struggle in the mid-1610s that came to be known as the Esopus Wars, Dutch settlers overwhelmed the Indians without entirely displacing them. For more than a hundred years afterward, large numbers of Indians remained in a region that, with the arrival of Africans, would become tri-racial.

A hilly region of frigid, fast-running streams and rivers, Isabella's birthplace belongs to the New England upland of forested mountains, and lies west and slightly to the north of Hartford, Connecticut; Providence, Rhode Island; and Cape Cod, Massachusetts. A cold, rocky place of long winters and short summers, Ulster County is covered with northern flora: spruce, balsam fir, hemlock, red cedar, yellow birch, as well as the oak, hickory, and pine that are found throughout the eastern United States. If she stood in a field with time to enjoy the scenery to the west, Isabella would have been able to see the Catskill Mountains, whose highest peak, Slide Mountain, rises to 4,180 feet.

Ulster County was one of New York's original counties, organized m 1683 and named after the Irish title of the Duke of York. At the turn of the nineteenth century it was overwhelmingly rural, producing wheat that was fair-to-middling in quality and lots of decent wool. When Isabella was born, before the advent of railroads and before New York City became a lucrative market, Ulster County was a backwater. Beautiful in a cold and craggy fashion akin to New England, it was not easy to traverse by road. Travelers used the river or bogged down trying to cross difficult terrain.

In rural counties like Ulster--in the Hudson Valley, on Long Island, and in New Jersey--the culture of local blacks was likely as not to be Afro-Dutch, although some blacks were Afro-Indian. They worked for Dutch farmers in areas where as many as 30 to 60 percent of white households owned slaves. At the turn of the nineteenth century Ulster County's total population was 29,554, of whom more than 10 percent, 3,220, were black people scattered widely across the countryside.

Most slaveholding New York State households owned only one or two slaves; a large slaveowner, like Isabella's first master, might have six or seven at a time, but New Yorkers who owned more than twenty slaves could be counted on the fingers of one hand. In the late eighteenth century, of course, no stigma attached to the trafficker in people, and masters did not hesitate to break up slave families through sale. But all was on a much smaller scale than the southern system of slavery.

Several factors, including the wide distribution of slaves among white families, combined to give rural black New Yorkers a singular culture. The contrast was especially sharp in comparison with southern blacks, often living in much larger homogeneous communities, who developed a vibrant Anglo-African culture revolving around plantation slave quarters. Half of all black southerners lived in communities of twenty or more African Americans, large concentrations that allowed them to learn their culture from other blacks and to create a distinctive way of life.

In New York State, by contrast, there were large numbers of blacks only in New York City. On the farms of rural New York, where slaves like Isabella lived and worked, one or two Africans commonly lived with a Dutch family and remained too isolated and scattered to forge any but the most tentative separate culture. Surrounded by Dutch speakers, rural black New Yorkers grew up speaking the language of their community. A good 16 or so percent, perhaps more, of eighteenth-century black New Yorkers, like Isabella and her family, spoke Dutch as their first language.

Such sound from black folk astonished those who were not from New York. A southern slave, accompanying his owner on a trip to New York, grew frustrated trying to extract directions from an Afro-Dutch woman. To his query about the way to New York, she answered: "Yaw, mynheer," pointing toward the town, "cat is Yarikee." Isabella as a young woman would have spoken in just this way. Over her lifetime she learned to speak English fluently, but she lost neither the accent nor the earthy imagery of the Dutch language that made her English so remarkable.

It is not possible to know exactly how Sojourner Truth spoke, for no one from her generation and cultural background was recorded. Isabella was the slave of the Dumont family from about twelve until about thirty, and many years later the daughter, Gertrude Dumont, protested that Truth's speech was nothing like the mock-southern dialect that careless reporters used. Rather, it was "very similar to that of the unlettered white people of [New York in] her time." As an older woman, Truth took pride in speaking correct English and objected to accounts of her speeches in heavy southern dialect. This seemed to her to take "unfair advantage" of her race.

Living so closely with tigers, Afro-Dutch New Yorkers imbibed other aspects of Dutch culture. If Afro-Dutch New Yorkers went to church--and in the countryside most, like their poor white neighbors, did not--they might join churches that were Dutch Reformed (as did Isabella's oldest daughter, Diana) or Methodist (as did Isabella). In Ulster County in the very early nineteenth century, young Isabella learned the Lord's Prayer in Dutch from her mother, and she may have attended Reformed churches as a child and young woman. This Afro-Dutch world was distinct, first culturally, then economically, from the slaveholding South.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/style/longterm/books/chap1/sojournertruth.htm

another famous Afro-DutchAmerican

xzZffeg.jpg

John Van Surly DeGrasse,
c. 1863

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_van_Salee_de_Grasse

Black ancestor to the Kennedy's:ohhh:

The Van Salee Family

America's Van Salees Anthony and Abraham van Salee were the ancestors of the Vanderbilts, the Whitneys, Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis and Humphrey Bogart.

They were among the earliest arrivals to 17th century New Amsterdam. In a number of documents dating back to this period, they are both described as "mulatto". From what scholars have been able to piece together about their background, they appear to have been the sons of a Dutch seafarer by the name of Jan Jansen who had "turned Turk" and become an admiral in the Moroccan navy. America's Van Salees With the Port of Salee as the base from which it harried European shipping, references to the fleet he commanded are salted away in the old English sea shanties that are still sung about the Salee Rovers. The mother of his two sons was probably a concubine he had while trading in this part of the world before his conversion to Islam.

As a result of the anti-social behaviour of his white wife, Anthony van Salee was induced to leave the city precincts of lower Manhattan and move across the river, thus becoming the first settler of Brooklyn. Since Coney Island abutted his property, it was, until sometime in the last century, also referred to as "Turk's Island"; the word, "Turk", being a designation of his which the records used interchangeably with, "mulatto". According to the documentation that people like Professor Leo Hershkowitz of Queens University have sifted through, it would seem that Anthony van Salee never converted to Christianity. His Koran, in fact, was in a descendant's possession until about fifty years ago when, ignorant of its relevance to his family's history, he offered it for sale at auction.

The Van Salee history also includes a more contemporary black collateral branch in the U.S. Anthony's brother Abraham fathered an illegitimate son with an unknown black woman. The son became the progenitor of this side of the family. Although having to face constraints that their "white" cousins could at best only imagine, two of these van Salees nevertheless left their mark in the annals of African American history.

America's Van Salees Dr. John van Salee De Grasse, born in 1825, was the first of his race to be formally educated as a doctor. A member of the Medical Society of Massachusetts, he also served as surgeon to the celebrated 54th Regiment during the Civil War. His sister, Serena, married George Downing who was not only an enormously successful black restauranteur both in New York City and in Newport, RI, but a man who used his wealth and connections with the East Coast's most powerful white families to effect social change for his people. Because of his organization and his own contribution to the purchase of Truro Park in Newport, one of the streets bordering it still bears his name. Interestingly enough, this genealogy was done as part of an ongoing study of the Ramopo in Tappan, NY, one of those red, white and black groups sociologists and ethnographers are now working on and which in academese are referred to as "tri racial isolates". It is because of what advantages their Indian heritage (no matter how discernably negroid they were) legally and officially provided them that the opportunity for "passing" in these groups was not only a more ambiguous political or moral decision but, comparatively, a more easily documentable one as well.

America's Van Salees Considering how important a role John Hammond of Columbia Records played in the establishment of the black music industry, it would certainly be worth exploring the possible influence his van Salee ancestry might have had on his career. Back then, there would have been no option possible for publicly declaring himself black according to the "one drop" racial code that was the law in most states until the Johnson administration. With a Vanderbilt for a mother, his iconographical value to the white majority was so important that had he dared to tamper with it, the KKK or some such group would most probably have made him pay the ultimate price for having desecrated his and the prestige of his relatives who had, after all, fairly well succeeded in making themselves the equivalent of this country's royal family. Hammond died a few years ago but since his son, following in his father's footsteps, has become a recognized exponent of R&B his could prove to be a very important interview for us.

Jackie Kennedy Onassis
Either Professor Hershkowitz, or Tim Beard, former head of the Genealogical Department of the New York Public Library related this incident regarding van Salee genealogy. At the time the Kennedy administration began implementing its civil rights agenda, the New York Genealogical and Historical Society approached Mrs. Kennedy hoping to discuss the opportunity her African ancestry, through the Van Salees, could have in possibly assisting her husband to realize his social goals regarding race relations. Mrs. Kennedy insisted on referring to the van Salees as 'Jewish,' and the New York Genealogical Society did not push the subject further.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/secret/famous/vansallees.html

The Amerikkkan Idol

The Amerikkkan Nightmare
Daps
:ohhh:

On the low, this might be the best thread on The Coli right now.

Props to all you brothas who've done your research and keep this thing goin'.

I've had my whole worldview turned upside down by this shyt.

I thought the history of Hip-Hop was pretty much written in stone before I came up in here.