Real talk, "Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" is prime for a re-make

DaveyDave

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Australia
it doesn't need a remake obviously but that has never stopped Hollywood/TV land. i don't know who they would be able to cast as the lead tho

Dada

Face===>Heel
Daps
They've been recycling everything. Like an earlier poster referenced, if they can re-do Boys Meets World (which was awesome) they may very well redo this.

mannyrs13

Compound Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Focusville, USA
I see your point on this generation missing out, but they need to find their own shows. Hollywood did it when we were younger. Why can't it be done now. It seems like every show lasts but one season these days. Bad examples to use, but I had the last few episodes of the crazy ones and mixology on the dvr and just deleted them when I heard they got cancelled. And that's not including the various one and done sitcoms from this past fall season. Tv is leaning more towards drama these days. Modern family and a few others do ok but it seems like drama runs tv. It could be done, but i doubt it's as successful as the original, or even close.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I see your point on this generation missing out, but they need to find their own shows. Hollywood did it when we were younger. Why can't it be done now. It seems like every show lasts but one season these days. Bad examples to use, but I had the last few episodes of the crazy ones and mixology on the dvr and just deleted them when I heard they got cancelled. And that's not including the various one and done sitcoms from this past fall season. Tv is leaning more towards drama these days. Modern family and a few others do ok but it seems like drama runs tv. It could be done, but i doubt it's as successful as the original, or even close.

The comedies that are on and resonating with kids are still there, but kids are also more into reality tv these days. That's there comedy. and I know dudes on here can't stand the show, but Big Bang Theory is the biggest comedy on TV right now meaning many in this generation watch it. The trick to comedy is good characters and Modern Family has good characters. The Crazy Ones was OK with character but not great

mannyrs13

Compound Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Focusville, USA
The comedies that are on and resonating with kids are still there, but kids are also more into reality tv these days. That's there comedy. and I know dudes on here can't stand the show, but Big Bang Theory is the biggest comedy on TV right now meaning many in this generation watch it. The trick to comedy is good characters and Modern Family has good characters. The Crazy Ones was OK with character but not great
yeah
Modern family has a great cast and I love the big bang theory and the new two and a half men which many hate. It's all about the character's ability. Fresh Prince had that chemistry and great writers.

Majestic Pape

The-Coli = W SOHH = L
Daps
They tried remaking like 10 years ago, except they reversed the plot. They sent a rich kid to live with his middle class aunt & uncle. I forgot the name of the show, but I think it was on ABC. It didn't last for more than one season.

Edit - It was called The Big House. It had Kevin Hart...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_House_(2004_TV_series)
I remember this. Ain't that the show Kevin Hart talks about where he flew his whole staff in to watch it get announced and the network executives told him it wasn't getting picked up last minute? :dead:

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Nah #newblacks don't wanna see hood nikkas on tv no more,they would call Will a stereotype of the young black male regardless of the fact his uncle is a judge and the family lives in belair:manny:

Easy-E

I đź’—My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
Absolutely no.

The show was perfect with Janet Hurbert, but, as a Fresh Prince stan, the show fell off after Daphne Reid became Aunt Viv (her first season was the best, though)

I would never expect a re-make to have as good writing

And the style is very dated

BrothaZay

Non-FBA. AdosK
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The suburbs
Fresh Prince only equally works with that cast and Will's charisma. That show was like lightening in a bottle, there are some shows you just can't emulate. Cosby, Different World, Fresh Prince thse are classics of the time....
Dont forget Malibus Most Wanted

Rakim Allah

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Plus the fact it came out in '90, a time when hip-hop culture was foreign to a major part of country. Will teaching them and the audience slang and about hip-hop was a large part of the funniness of the show.
Now that every Buffy and Chauncey are making heir own youtube rap videos that angle wouldnt work at all today. Plus for young rap fans, seeing the first hip-hop oriented representation on network tv was a big deal. Today it wouldn't be
You nailed it...it was big deal to me at that time.