Real talk, "Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" is prime for a re-make

jadillac

Veteran
Daps
NOT saying I EVER want to see it happen. :whoa::wow: That show is my childhood.

But, I wouldn't be surprised if they did it. Not like there's any integrity in Hollywood where a sure dollar can be made. And the name alone would carry it long enough to make some money.

Think about it.....

There's an entire group of young ppl 17(even 18) & younger who weren't even born when Fresh Prince was on-air. Which is the age group the original show was pretty much targeted for. FP was pretty much viewed as the "cool, young" sit-com. Anybody from the age of 8 on up could watch the show and be entertained. It was that universal.

Sure, the younger group of today can watch the re-runs....but they don't get all the jokes. The political one-liners, the pop culture references, the significance of the guest appearances, some of the fashion, etc. Enough time has passed now where all this stuff is completely opposite of back then and they could relay to relate to todays culture.

We've seen movies from the 80's/90's come back full force, they've already re-booted 'Boy Meets World' using Corey/Topanga as adult characters . So don't think it can't happen to Fresh Prince.:ufdup:

And don't think it won't happen. :to:

jadillac

Veteran
Daps
Nah, it won't happen.

give me ONE good reason why it can't/won't. You seem a little too sure.

Will Smith doesnt own the rights to the show as far as I know.

What's to stop them from making Ashley and/or Carlton parents and have their own sets of kids as characters? :usure: Pretty sure they would take that role if offered. Then they'd just have to cast the lead.

We just better hope Tyler Perry doesnt get ahold of it :russ:

jadillac

Veteran
Daps
Fresh Prince only equally works with that cast and Will's charisma. That show was like lightening in a bottle, there are some shows you just can't emulate. Cosby, Different World, Fresh Prince thse are classics of the time....

I don't disagree, that's my whole point..........but when has that EVER stopped Hollywood from trying? :heh:

I dont know why y'all think this is out of the realm of possibility.

TheGreatShowtime

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Swamp
They tried remaking like 10 years ago, except they reversed the plot. They sent a rich kid to live with his middle class aunt & uncle. I forgot the name of the show, but I think it was on ABC. It didn't last for more than one season.

Edit - It was called The Big House. It had Kevin Hart...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_House_(2004_TV_series)

Last edited:

Soundbwoy

Accept to take the L
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Montreal
NOT saying I EVER want to see it happen. :whoa::wow: That show is my childhood.

But, I wouldn't be surprised if they did it. Not like there's any integrity in Hollywood where a sure dollar can be made. And the name alone would carry it long enough to make some money.

Think about it.....

There's an entire group of young ppl 17(even 18) & younger who weren't even born when Fresh Prince was on-air. Which is the age group the original show was pretty much targeted for. FP was pretty much viewed as the "cool, young" sit-com. Anybody from the age of 8 on up could watch the show and be entertained. It was that universal.

Sure, the younger group of today can watch the re-runs....but they don't get all the jokes. The political one-liners, the pop culture references, the significance of the guest appearances, some of the fashion, etc. Enough time has passed now where all this stuff is completely opposite of back then and they could relay to relate to todays culture.

We've seen movies from the 80's/90's come back full force, they've already re-booted 'Boy Meets World' using Corey/Topanga as adult characters . So don't think it can't happen to Fresh Prince.:ufdup:

And don't think it won't happen. :to:
thread title is neg worthy :demonic:

jadillac

Veteran
Daps
None of you guys with these immediate, knee-jerk answers have told me WHY it wouldn't be somewhat successful amongst YOUNG people. Yeah we all know the original was casted perfectly, but these re-made movies show us that doesnt mean squat. Pretty much every show back in those days was well-casted.

thread title is neg worthy :demonic:

I'm glad you at least read what I posted:yeshrug:

Whitty Hutton

these posters are TRASH
Daps
Reppin
retired
Fresh Prince only equally works with that cast and Will's charisma. That show was like lightening in a bottle, there are some shows you just can't emulate. Cosby, Different World, Fresh Prince thse are classics of the time....
Plus the fact it came out in '90, a time when hip-hop culture was foreign to a major part of country. Will teaching them and the audience slang and about hip-hop was a large part of the funniness of the show.
Now that every Buffy and Chauncey are making heir own youtube rap videos that angle wouldnt work at all today. Plus for young rap fans, seeing the first hip-hop oriented representation on network tv was a big deal. Today it wouldn't be