Rate these cities from most desired to least as a black man.

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Where did you hear that Seattle has extreme weather? We do get an abnormal amount of grey skies and rain (currently sunny), but we get next to zero snow and no humidity in the summer. Come summertime there isn't a city I'd rather live in then Seattle.

Sorry...extreme was the wrong term.

How is it for professional blacks? I guess I am attracted to a more intellectual crowd which I am lacking here..single parent families, alcohol surrounding their culture, people marrying early :scust:

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Probably Denver and Seattle are up there between weather (a full four seasons), tech opportunities, and type of people.

Moreso denver b/c I like mountains and shyt.

MalikReloaded

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The 215

How is it for professional blacks? I guess I am attracted to a more intellectual crowd which I am lacking here..single parent families, alcohol surrounding their culture, people marrying early :scust:

Seattle's a very professional city. You're just going to have to get used to being the only black person most places you go. The city is about 8% black.

MalikReloaded

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The 215
Hm, Seattle has been close to being nixed off my list because of the extreme weather but great summers? Hm..I have been intending to visit it.

Seattle has good weather. I trade this winter we dealing with on the East Coast for the rain. It basically never snows in the Northwest. You just have the rainy season and then spring/summer time.

• Dap
Reactions: Dip

.༼-◕_◕-༽.

.༼-◕_◕-༽.
Daps
Reppin
Dona Nobis Pacem

Boeing has a professional crowd of Black people. I've attended an event hosted by their Black employees. The weather is not extreme, as long as it doesn't get to freezing, but the rain and darkness is not fun in the fall/winter. Failing that, the area is a rainforest. Not a tropical rainforest and on a clear day you can see Mt. Rainier from UW campus.

Black Professionals Meetups in Seattle - Meetup

Seattle is a weird place, because even though there are not that many Black people, they're somewhat "liberal." For example, King County is short for ML King county (they renamed it).

A lot of the Boeing Black people live in Renton (a suburb).

The larger population of Blacks live south of Seattle in Seatac, Tacoma, etc.

.༼-◕_◕-༽.

.༼-◕_◕-༽.
Daps
Reppin
Dona Nobis Pacem
You get a full four seasons in DC Metro. Honestly, I think DC Metro is more aggressive at promoting Black people. They're so used to Black achievement, you're not a unicorn. Raleigh/Durham as well, but way less traffic and lower cost of living.

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I work in tech so I picked these for a reason. Not every career path offers a black person to live in a place such as Atlanta, which I have lived in, with a strong black experience.

Anyway I have listed some of these places I would at least consider career opportunities to move. Some I omitted like Phoenix, Boston, or San Francisco because fukk those places. Anyways here's my list.

-Seattle, WA
-Austin, TX
-Raleigh, NC (Research Triangle Park in particular)
-Northern VA / DC Area
-Philadelphia
-Nashville
-Denver / Fort Collins
-San Diego

Discuss.
Northern VA/DC
Austin
Raleigh
Philly
San Diego (only because the tech income potential is :whew:)

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
You get a full four seasons in DC Metro. Honestly, I think DC Metro is more aggressive at promoting Black people. They're so used to Black achievement, you're not a unicorn. Raleigh/Durham as well, but way less traffic and lower cost of living.

I've been promoted quite a bit where I'm at and have always busted my performance reviews. I love DC but I'd be at a government role. My friend told me to apply for his old position. I miss it but there are so many places that are on the come up like Raleigh that I could go that I could grow. I lived in Northern VA for maybe 3 years or so..Virginia a bit longer in different parts.

Seattle's a very professional city. You're just going to have to get used to being the only black person most places you go. The city is about 8% black.

Ha I'm used to that.

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Like I said not all of them are going to offer a culturally black experience like I'd get in somewhere like Atlanta. Thing is my career has driven me out of many places in the south and most of the career opportunities that come to my inbox are in California, Washington, Texas, Colorado mostly.

Still not going anywhere I'm getting :mjpls: no matter how much they pay me. I think Denver, Raleigh, Seattle, DC, Austin are making my top list right now.

Mr Rager

Leader of the Delinquents
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Mars
Based on what?

Philly mindset is more progressive than those other cities (except Austin). Larger black population, more diverse and more things to do.
Raleigh has a very laid back atmosphere and even though its in the south, its not as racist as you would think. Most people are career focused, not a very large ratchet/trash population.
I've lived in both cities.

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Philly mindset is more progressive than those other cities (except Austin). Larger black population, more diverse and more things to do.
Raleigh has a very laid back atmosphere and even though its in the south, its not as racist as you would think. Most people are career focused, not a very large ratchet/trash population.

I really liked Philly when I visited last month. I have a friend from college that has lived there for 10 years now. It's just that for my line of work it's not really in my top 5.

Raleigh seems like a young professional city. I've always liked NC. I'm in my early 30s BTW.

beejus

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Red, White, & Stonewashed Blue since '94

I actually have never been to either Philly or Raleigh. Would love to visit both. Just you saying only those 2 cities and everything else is trash seems kind of narrow minded.

Honestly the list of cities is actually a pretty good one. Don't know much about Nashville, but the others are considered quality.