Rap Sh!t Starring KaMillion, Aida Osman, Jonica Booth (Created by Issa Rae) ((Show Has Been Cancelled Brehs)) || [Discussion Thread]

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
I don’t think the writing is anywhere near as good as insecure.

The jokes just don’t hit the same way. Definitely not the same writers. This show is also kind of tonally heavy. I can’t remember too many parts of insecure that felt as dark or serious as this show gets at times.

I think that reflects that Insecure was a portrait of middle/upper middle/upper class, and Rap shyt is coming out of the hood in Miami. None of the main characters are stable income wise, or have degrees. So their day to day lives are just a little darker and heavier. Federal indicments, hitting a quick lick for some drug money in a car, some drugged out rapper self immloutating himself, that's just closer to their reality, rather that non profit work dynamics, or the inner workings of a law firm, or Lawerence trying to decide his career.

Insecure got "darker" or serious with Issa and Lawerences's relationship. That intense sex they had once. When he called her a hoe. The relationship between Molly and Dro. I would have to go back and think.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I think that reflects that Insecure was a portrait of middle/upper middle/upper class, and Rap shyt is coming out of the hood in Miami. None of the main characters are stable income wise, or have degrees. So their day to day lives are just a little darker and heavier. Federal indicments, hitting a quick lick for some drug money in a car, some drugged out rapper self immloutating himself, that's just closer to their reality, rather that non profit work dynamics, or the inner workings of a law firm, or Lawerence trying to decide his career.

Insecure got "darker" or serious with Issa and Lawerences's relationship. That intense sex they had once. When he called her a hoe. The relationship between Molly and Dro. I would have to go back and think.

It’s funny you say this because i feel like Issa and Shawna’s character would probably be friends. They are both from middle class two parent backgrounds, both college educated (i think Shawna said she dropped out), both were working dead end jobs well into their lates 20’s, both are wreckless and bad with men. Both dated squares and cheated on them.

I think the biggest difference is Shawna is doing criminal shyt.

But yeah, the rest of the series taking place amongst the dredges of miami/LA rap kind of lends itself to darker themes. I do kinda wish it was just funnier, i dont really like all the pimp’n and hoe’n shyt, and the white iggy character is just not funny or entertaining, and unrealistic. Say what you want about how we let anyone rap but this chick would not make it on sway in the morning acting like that without getting dragged to hell and back on twitter.

jshani

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Col, GA
Pretty good foreshadowing too, that I dismissed as drugged up nonsense from a guy trying to find himself, but

What would your last meal be?

and he said
These, these little things right here
I missed that until you just said it....

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
To what end? Get Chasity out and solidify his hold on them?

Having a meeting when the tour is done, is about generic and far down the line as it gets, but I don't know how that really works. He def. couldn't be very impressed beyond attraction with that generic introduction they gave themselves. and Francois was a little unsure of himself in that one, understandable given his stature relative to a Def Jam president.
Yea, that’s why i didn’t really like this specific episode. Still love the show, but this episode felt rushed and poorly edited. I couldn’t follow the motivations of any of the characters. It felt like we missed a whole episode before this one somehow. Like, why did they just throw Chastity away, unearned like that. I guess you could argue that the allure of fame is blinding and the girls are getting sucked in but that hasn’t been earned either. Mia being so fukking sloppy is inconsistent. Francois riding for them so hard is inconsistent. All that from the Oakland show? This was probably the worst episode of the series imo. From the previews it looks like they needed a set back to get them back to life in Miami. But dude setting himself on fire was really out there. Felt like a whole different show.

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
It’s funny you say this because i feel like Issa and Shawna’s character would probably be friends. They are both from middle class two parent backgrounds, both college educated (i think Shawna said she dropped out), both were working dead end jobs well into their lates 20’s, both are wreckless and bad with men. Both dated squares and cheated on them.

I think the biggest difference is Shawna is doing criminal shyt.

But yeah, the rest of the series taking place amongst the dredges of miami/LA rap kind of lends itself to darker themes. I do kinda wish it was just funnier, i dont really like all the pimp’n and hoe’n shyt, and the white iggy character is just not funny or entertaining, and unrealistic. Say what you want about how we let anyone rap but this chick would not make it on sway in the morning acting like that without getting dragged to hell and back on twitter.

A character like Reina is more satirical. But, not far from some acts we have seen, Iggy, Azalia, Latto, Saweetie, Kereshawn, not that they are exactly alike, but something like that.

Right about Shawna and Issa, but the difference is as you said, Shawna would be Issa's ONLY criminal friend lol - and yeah, Shawna had Cliff, but she also actively dated Maurice (or whatever Tik Tok would call that) and committed fraud. She's Issa a little further down the socioeconomic scale. And Issa had a degree, and her best friend was a very successful lawyer. Issa was more adrift than really down the ladder. She didn't know what she wanted out of life. Shawna knows, she just is struggling to get it.

another observation:

I like how the show depicts the way some people talk, esp. women, who are very much online. Lots of women I know like this, they speak in almost like IG/snap/tik tok captions. When Reina says "I claim all my sons", as if there is some audience or laugh track. A lot of women 25-35 talk like that, as if they are speaking to some wider audience, (their followers)

DJSmooth

Superstar
Daps
A character like Reina is more satirical. But, not far from some acts we have seen, Iggy, Azalia, Latto, Saweetie, Kereshawn, not that they are exactly alike, but something like that.

Right about Shawna and Issa, but the difference is as you said, Shawna would be Issa's ONLY criminal friend lol - and yeah, Shawna had Cliff, but she also actively dated Maurice (or whatever Tik Tok would call that) and committed fraud. She's Issa a little further down the socioeconomic scale. And Issa had a degree, and her best friend was a very successful lawyer. Issa was more adrift than really down the ladder. She didn't know what she wanted out of life. Shawna knows, she just is struggling to get it.

another observation:

I like how the show depicts the way some people talk, esp. women, who are very much online. Lots of women I know like this, they speak in almost like IG/snap/tik tok captions. When Reina says "I claim all my sons", as if there is some audience or laugh track. A lot of women 25-35 talk like that, as if they are speaking to some wider audience, (their followers)

If Issa and Shawna only hung out alone they would like each other.

If Issa brought Shawna around Molly, Kelly and Tiffany. They would see right through her the first interaction and would know she didn't need to be hanging around her/them.

Shawna is out of place networking like Chastity is.

Mia at least knows how to chill out and just vibe.

Last edited:

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
If Issa and Shawna only hung out alone they would like each other.

If Issa brought Shawna around Molly, Kelly and Tiffany. They would see right through her the first interaction and would know she didn't need to be hanging around her/them.

Shawna is out of place networking like Chastity is.

Mia at least knows how to chill out and just vibe.

Exactly, because of the class differences, esp. with Tiffany and Molly. The thing is someone like Shawna, and Mia, have limited social skills for networking am event like that. They are perfectly at home with rappers, but that weird mix of street and really industry is a hard one to navigate, esp. when no one knows who you are.

Think about what any of us would do at that party right? I could figure it out, esp. if I ran into Tunji, or got into real rap convo with anyone. Not saying I socialize all in LA at industry parties, but I have been to a few events like that for my boy, and hit a lot of hot spots in LA, I had a great time at my boys event because all I did was talk movies, but people for sure asked me, well are you in the industry? And I am just like nah, but if you ARE you have to kind of sell yourself. And 10 years ago, I wouldn't have had the confidence and self assuredness to move like that.

Daps
To what end? Get Chasity out and solidify his hold on them?

Having a meeting when the tour is done, is about generic and far down the line as it gets, but I don't know how that really works. He def. couldn't be very impressed beyond attraction with that generic introduction they gave themselves. and Francois was a little unsure of himself in that one, understandable given his stature relative to a Def Jam president.

Francois is out for Francois. So his main end with Shawna and Mia is getting them in line to keep Reina happy and thriving. That’s his cash cow at the moment. Everything he says with regard to Shawna and Mia is layered in bullshyt. It’s also truth in there tho he just always spins it to be as rosy as possible. If anything actually does pop off and Shawna and Mia become a better bet than Reina, he’ll switch gears on a dime….cuz that’s what benefits Francois.