Rap Sh!t Starring KaMillion, Aida Osman, Jonica Booth (Created by Issa Rae) ((Show Has Been Cancelled Brehs)) || [Discussion Thread]

DamienWayne

Superstar
Daps
is this a good show? doesnt seem like something the coli usually likes, feeling p valley vibes

SupaVillain

Keep your glory, gold and glitter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Idk if it’s me, but Issa’s writing on this is really corny, like most of the jokes are literally catered to shea butter twitter jokes

SupaVillain

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
What is Shea Butter Twitter?
It’s basically a subsection of black twitter. Shea Butter Twitter typically consists of users who get online and intentionally misinterpret and over analyze everything to start unnecessary discourse. A lot of them love to tweet out hot topic phrases such as “Protect Black Women”, but don’t actually mean it due to them only wanting to protect the certain black women.

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
First season was cool, this one has kind of been a chore to get through

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
I can be a pretty harsh critic, and I think the writing is pretty sharp. It's more satirical than Insecure, which going for a little more realistic tone, little more harsh and dramatic. There's no scene in here so far written as intensely as issa and Lawerence's fight in S1. The writing feels timely and relevant to me, the way Insecure always did.

Did anyone take the scene with Def Jam president and Francois to be that Francois was gaming Mia and Shawna? We never see or hear the actual talk. And he seemed to be at a minimum slightly interested. But, they did just ramble and ramble and came off bizarre, and un media trained for sure. Chasity also wasn't offensive but clumsy, and talking like business card made her sound entirely useless. Guys like that don't carry or give cards.

SupaVillain

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Is that any different than Insecure?
Insecure seemed more tolerable, as least it was for me. Season 1 was even good, this season just seems like wacky adventure after another with no secure plot except for shytting on white culture vultures and finessing nikkas.

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
I can be a pretty harsh critic, and I think the writing is pretty sharp. It's more satirical than Insecure, which going for a little more realistic tone, little more harsh and dramatic. There's no scene in here so far written as intensely as issa and Lawerence's fight in S1. The writing feels timely and relevant to me, the way Insecure always did.

Did anyone take the scene with Def Jam president and Francois to be that Francois was gaming Mia and Shawna? We never see or hear the actual talk. And he seemed to be at a minimum slightly interested. But, they did just ramble and ramble and came off bizarre, and un media trained for sure. Chasity also wasn't offensive but clumsy, and talking like business card made her sound entirely useless. Guys like that don't carry or give cards.
I thought he was lying to them to string them along.

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
I thought he was lying to them to string them along.

To what end? Get Chasity out and solidify his hold on them?

Having a meeting when the tour is done, is about generic and far down the line as it gets, but I don't know how that really works. He def. couldn't be very impressed beyond attraction with that generic introduction they gave themselves. and Francois was a little unsure of himself in that one, understandable given his stature relative to a Def Jam president.

Last edited:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I don’t think the writing is anywhere near as good as insecure.

The jokes just don’t hit the same way. Definitely not the same writers. This show is also kind of tonally heavy. I can’t remember too many parts of insecure that felt as dark or serious as this show gets at times.