Random NBA Observations 2013 - 2014

G.O.A.T Squad Spokesman

Logic Is Absent Wherever Hate Is Present
Daps
I think what Blackthoughts is tryna say is that Steph's shooting numbers in his first 4 years are the best ever. He has bad ankles but there not degenerative and he will most likely play at least 10 years if not more. What separates Curry from other shooters is his ability to shoot off the dribble anytime he wants to and still be very accurate. Curry is both a volume shooter and a accurate shooter which is hard to do. Ray was similar to Curry early on in his career but than he became a strictly off-screen shooter. Curry has a better chance of putting up better numbers because of his superior ball handling skills when compared to SG like Ray who don't always have the ball in there hands and his willingness to shoot the ball anytime he feels like it compared to other great shooting point guards like Steve Kerr, Steve Nash, etc.

Career %:
FG: .465
3's: .446
FT: .901

Career attempt:
FG: 15 attempts per game
3's: 5.59 attempts per game
FT: 2.96 attempts per game
Basically what I was saying is Steph doesn't rely on athleticism like those guys he listed. But then a few ppl tried to act like he isn't arguably the best shooter ever. If Steph ain't the best shooter ever tell me who is.

drewbreez

Rookie
Daps
Basically what I was saying is Steph doesn't rely on athleticism like those guys he listed. But then a few ppl tried to act like he isn't arguably the best shooter ever. If Steph ain't the best shooter ever tell me who is.

Steve Nash comes to mind. He was, in his prime, very capable off the dribble. Kevin Durant may be one of the best shooters ever given his ability to shoot accurately from any range...take a high volume of FTs (that he hits at an 88+ % clip) not to mention one of the best 3-ball shooters in the game at his size, Mark Price was also a great shooter off the dribble and in traffic. Dirk Nowitzki is also someone who shoots a high percentage, shoots off the dribble and kills from the FT line with both high attempts and high accuracy. Larry Bird.

Steph has the potential. I just think you're confusing your adamant adoration for him for historical greatness. Four years is a small sample size, by any measure. He hasn't even reached the mark of an average NBA career yet and you're ranking him the Greatest Shooter Ever? That's Stan business right there.

G.O.A.T Squad Spokesman

Daps
Steve Nash comes to mind. He was, in his prime, very capable off the dribble. Kevin Durant may be one of the best shooters ever given his ability to shoot accurately from any range...take a high volume of FTs (that he hits at an 88+ % clip) not to mention one of the best 3-ball shooters in the game at his size, Mark Price was also a great shooter off the dribble and in traffic. Dirk Nowitzki is also someone who shoots a high percentage, shoots off the dribble and kills from the FT line with both high attempts and high accuracy. Larry Bird.

Steph has the potential. I just think you're confusing your adamant adoration for him for historical greatness. Four years is a small sample size, by any measure. He hasn't even reached the mark of an average NBA career yet and you're ranking him the Greatest Shooter Ever? That's Stan business right there.
Dude made the most 3's ever in an NBA season and he did it while shooting 45% from 3 and took 63 less 3's than Ray Allen did when he had the record. You'll never see that done again in your lifetime. No one in the history of the game ever shot better than Steph did last season from 3, you show me someone that did and I won't make any more Warriors threads for a year.

So as of right now he's arguably the best shooter the game has ever seen. And Steve Nash has already said Steph is a better shooter than he is. So since you think I'm stanning or engaging in hyperbole let's have fun with this, I challenge you to start a thread asking who is the best shooter of all time and have a poll. Let's see how many ppl vote for Steph.

Last edited:

Big Jo

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Who has a better shot at being ROY? Otto Porter was unimpressive in summer league. Olapido won't score enough to get it.

Not sure. It definitely could end up being Bennett, which would be a helluva way to justify him going first

I'm just expecting it to be a sleeper pick, like the ROY last year

G.O.A.T Squad Spokesman

Daps
Not sure. It definitely could end up being Bennett, which would be a helluva way to justify him going first

I'm just expecting it to be a sleeper pick, like the ROY last year
Lillard averaged 24 ppg in his last season in college. I don't think he was a sleeper knowing he would be the starter. Bennett is the truth, dude is offensively gifted. He can post up and hit 3's, if he starts like I expect odds are he's the ROY, I don't see any point guards getting it.

drewbreez

Rookie
Daps
Homey, I know Steph is a great shooter. But the consensus method for ranking greatEST shooters (which implies A SPAN OF TIME) is the 50-40-90 club. Players who were able to shoot from ALL areas of the court DURING MULTIPLE SEASONS at a high percentage accuracy (50% from the field -- not Steph, 40% from 3PT and 90% from FT). Not only did Kevin Durant shoot 90% from FT JUST LAST YEAR...he did so with 1433 attempts! That's absurdly accurate for the volume he took.

I would more quickly go out on THAT limb and name Kevin Durant the Greatest Shooter Of All Time based on OVERALL shooting from different parts of the court. This list of players who reached the 50-40-90 mark for a season has a top ten group that includes Nash twice, Bird twice and KD once. Reggie Miller is on there as well. Those are all time great shooters because they did it from EVERYWHERE, not just 3PT land "off the dribble" or whatever it is you're using as the rare qualifier for Steph.

Malta

Sweetwater
Daps
Reppin
Now who else wanna fukk with Hollywood Court?
Curry is the best shooter I have ever seen, the numbers paint him out to be a better shooter than Durant too.

He takes a higher percentage of jumpers than Durant, and less of them are assisted, all while shooting a higher eFG on jumpers than Durant. I've never seen anyone take off the dribble 3s like Curry and make them at such a ridiculous rate.

Malta

Sweetwater
Daps
Reppin
Homey, I know Steph is a great shooter. But the consensus method for ranking greatEST shooters (which implies A SPAN OF TIME) is the 50-40-90 club. Players who were able to shoot from ALL areas of the court DURING MULTIPLE SEASONS at a high percentage accuracy (50% from the field -- not Steph, 40% from 3PT and 90% from FT). Not only did Kevin Durant shoot 90% from FT JUST LAST YEAR...he did so with 1433 attempts! That's absurdly accurate for the volume he took.

I would more quickly go out on THAT limb and name Kevin Durant the Greatest Shooter Of All Time based on OVERALL shooting from different parts of the court. This list of players who reached the 50-40-90 mark for a season has a top ten group that includes Nash twice, Bird twice and KD once. Reggie Miller is on there as well. Those are all time great shooters because they did it from EVERYWHERE, not just 3PT land "off the dribble" or whatever it is you're using as the rare qualifier for Steph.

You're not looking at context at all, Curry scores 90% of his offense off jumpers, Durant is taller and gets to the rack and finishes better than him, so of course he'll shoot a higher percentage overall, nevermind the fact that Curry took nearly twice as many 3s per game as him. The only one you can really draw a comparison to is Nash, and he didn't shoot nearly as much as Curry does.

90% of his offense is from jumpers, he shoots 55% eFG on them, that is absolutely absurd when you consider how many times a game he shoots and how often it's with a man in his face.

The War Report

NewNewYork
Daps
Reppin
The Empire State
You're not looking at context at all, Curry scores 90% of his offense off jumpers, Durant is taller and gets to the rack and finishes better than him, so of course he'll shoot a higher percentage overall, nevermind the fact that Curry took nearly twice as many 3s per game as him. The only one you can really draw a comparison to is Nash, and he didn't shoot nearly as much as Curry does.

90% of his offense is from jumpers, he shoots 55% eFG on them, that is absolutely absurd when you consider how many times a game he shoots and how often it's with a man in his face.
He's basically Reggie Miller who can shoot off the dribble.

Malta

Sweetwater
Daps
Reppin
He's basically Reggie Miller who can shoot off the dribble.

He's the best shooter I have ever seen :wow:

Might as well start calling him earthday, dudes shot chart is all green.

shotchart_13791898124zis4h.png

Durants @drewbreez

shotchart_13791898208gcszb.png

Curry is a better shooter however you slice it, Durant is taller and finishes around the rim better.

drewbreez

Rookie
Daps

I'm looking at context actually, which is the context of the history of the game. So my point is that 4 seasons is not a large enough sample size to call someone the greatest at something, when others have done that skill (shooting) for 7 or 10 or 11 years at a time. It's different to call someone the Greatest JumpShooter Off The Dribble, whatever that means or even to say he's the best you've seen. I'm glad he's impressed you but that doesn't make him an all-time great at the skill.

He has a high percentage accuracy on jump shots. That's a more valid assessment than "he's the greatest shooter of all time" and it makes sense to draw a distinction instead of giving out historical accolades in the pre-season of his 5th year.

G.O.A.T Squad Spokesman

Daps
He's the best shooter I have ever seen :wow:

Might as well start calling him earthday, dudes shot chart is all green.

shotchart_13791898124zis4h.png

Durants @drewbreez

shotchart_13791898208gcszb.png

Curry is a better shooter however you slice it, Durant is taller and finishes around the rim better.
I'm glad you're the 1 saying this, if it was me they'd find a way to dispute it.

G.O.A.T Squad Spokesman

Daps
I'm looking at context actually, which is the context of the history of the game. So my point is that 4 seasons is not a large enough sample size to call someone the greatest at something, when others have done that skill (shooting) for 7 or 10 or 11 years at a time. It's different to call someone the Greatest JumpShooter Off The Dribble, whatever that means or even to say he's the best you've seen. I'm glad he's impressed you but that doesn't make him an all-time great at the skill.

He has a high percentage accuracy on jump shots. That's a more valid assessment than "he's the greatest shooter of all time" and it makes sense to draw a distinction instead of giving out historical accolades in the pre-season of his 5th year.
fukk the bullshyt, start a thread yourself and ask who's the best shooter ever and let's see what the people say.