Essential Random Gym Thoughts Revisited...

BillBanneker

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Man squats last night had me feeling:flabbynsick: Was kinda lazy with the form.

Bench/row are moving fine, just getting impatient with the weight.

Did weighted dips for the first time in a year, forgot how :demonic: they make a breh feel. Debating about maybe alternating them with weighted pullups (when i get on the that level:whoa:).

Getting lazy with my eating, I knew I should've bought some sweet potatoes or something.:francis:

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
Man squats last night had me feeling:flabbynsick: Was kinda lazy with the form.

Bench/row are moving fine, just getting impatient with the weight.

Did weighted dips for the first time in a year, forgot how :demonic: they make a breh feel. Debating about maybe alternating them with weighted pullups (when i get on the that level:whoa:).

Getting lazy with my eating, I knew I should've bought some sweet potatoes or something.:francis:

I keep telling people this is where the real battle is.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
really ready to be done losing so i can focus on strength. should be ready to make that transition around march.

advice on starting a lifting program to build strength? how the hell do i find my 1 rep max? is it a weight i'm dying while lifting? how long should it take me to recover before i could lift it again? or do i start with a weight i cant lift/push and work my way down in increments to the first weight i can lift?

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
really ready to be done losing so i can focus on strength. should be ready to make that transition around march.

advice on starting a lifting program to build strength? how the hell do i find my 1 rep max? is it a weight i'm dying while lifting? how long should it take me to recover before i could lift it again? or do i start with a weight i cant lift/push and work my way down in increments to the first weight i can lift?
One rep max isn't a good starting place per se, unless you're an athlete....

I would personally suggest starting small, with just the bar then gradually build up.

When lifting, form and fluidity is everything. So if you start building on a strength routine with bad form, then you're setting yourself up for a date with a physical therapist.

Back to strength training, gradually add weight after each set, if you can do 5+ reps real easy then continue to add weight.

Remember strength training consist of heavy weight low reps. So 1-6 reps is the ideal range.

Personally i don't lift for another 48-72 hours.

But my rule of thumb is listen to your body. This will keep you injury free. As much as you may want to lift one day, if you're still too sore, don't do it. Stick to cardio. Waiting another 24 hours won't kill you. Use that time up your protein, carb, and water intake.

I've been strength training for almost 10 years now, injury free because i live by these principles.

JP_614

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Aloha State
Man I just started working out legs again cause of my job I thought walking 8-12 miles a day would be enough I worked up a tolerance squats was terrible just worked out with 135 and that shyt was burning

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
One rep max isn't a good starting place per se, unless you're an athlete....

I would personally suggest starting small, with just the bar then gradually build up.

When lifting, form and fluidity is everything. So if you start building on a strength routine with bad form, then you're setting yourself up for a date with a physical therapist.

Back to strength training, gradually add weight after each set, if you can do 5+ reps real easy then continue to add weight.

Remember strength training consist of heavy weight low reps. So 1-6 reps is the ideal range.

Personally i don't lift for another 48-72 hours.

But my rule of thumb is listen to your body. This will keep you injury free. As much as you may want to lift one day, if you're still too sore, don't do it. Stick to cardio. Waiting another 24 hours won't kill you. Use that time up your protein, carb, and water intake.

I've been strength training for almost 10 years now, injury free because i live by these principles.
Hmm, bar is too light for deads/squats and I bench with dumbbells - I'm not new to lifting, just been more on a moderate weight high reps (20) regimen, keeping the HR up to help burn more cals. So while that has definitely helped me preserve lean mass while losing weight, my next step is lifting heavy for strength...by the end up the year i wanna be able to do a pull-up dammit :birdman:

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
Man I just started working out legs again cause of my job I thought walking 8-12 miles a day would be enough I worked up a tolerance squats was terrible just worked out with 135 and that shyt was burning
Best way to build more tolerance for squats is to do.......

More squats....
By that i mean squat more frequently. If you squat once a week, that's not enough. Twice a week still not enough. If you get in the habit of squatting every 48 hours then you'll turn into a beast in no time.

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
Hmm, bar is too light for deads/squats and I bench with dumbbells - I'm not new to lifting, just been more on a moderate weight high reps (20) regimen, keeping the HR up to help burn more cals. So while that has definitely helped me preserve lean mass while losing weight, my next step is lifting heavy for strength...by the end up the year i wanna be able to do a pull-up dammit :birdman:
That's fine but remember with strength training, never compromise form for ego lifting(adding more weight).

If you can complete the full range of motion, with perfect form then feel free to add more weight to your comfort.

I forgot to add, let's say you find a comfortable range of weight to load on to bar, after you've gone through your final set, now you can add a little more weight like 2.5 -5 pounds, then try for a one rep max. If you do this once a week, you muscles will begin to build tolerance for more.

Example:
bar is 45lbs
You add on 50 pounds as a comfortable range /working set.
So now you're lifting 95lbs
For your final set / one rep max, you add 2.5 pounds to each side.
Your final set weight for the one rep max is 100lbs....

Also don't worry about gaining massive muscles like a dude, when you see women with muscles like men its because they're on something, that's causing a hormonal imbalance. Your natural body fat range as a woman won't allow for your muscles to grow too defined, just toned up at best.

Oh yeah pullup are the goat exercise.
I would definitely see if your gym has a pullup assist machine and start with that.

But if you're going do pullups you should do dips as well. Alternating sets is :whew:

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
:dwillhuh: