Pusha T Says Biggie Is the Greatest Rapper Ever

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
I will never see what makes him better than Jay Z.
Because he can make every kinda song and he made two perfect albums. Jay is second

But Jay can't make a song like Dead Wrong or Somebody Gotta Die, which is full of hardcore violence like Biggie can. Biggie made you feel them threats in your bones. There's nothing Jay does that Biggie couldn't do.

boskey

Top Rankin
Daps
Pusha T recently talked to Rolling Stone about his love of the Notorious B.I.G.'s music. Find his tribute and much more in our new special collectors edition on the 100 greatest hip-hop songs of all time.

"I believe the Notorious B.I.G. was the greatest rapper who's ever lived. I remember in '94, when Ready to Die came out, I was in 11th grade, living in my mother's house in Virginia. There was a frenzy at my high school, arguing and talking about that album. We used to spend hours in the car, reciting his raps, trying to figure out what in the hell made him veer off in this way or that way. Some rappers just say a punchline, and it's like, "OK, we get it." But Big delved deep. He was a master painter with words. And his flow was just so effortless. I mean, I think I'm an awesome writer, but my bars still sound like bars. Big had all these intricacies, all these colors, all these witty things – and it didn't sound like a rap. It was a conversation.

When Ready to Die dropped, it was still a competitive race for Big. You could have arguments about who was better with the Wu-Tang fanatics or the Nas fans. But by the summer after that, he left the pack in the marathon. We all said, "No one's better than Big." It was a wrap. And when he brought the double album with Life After de@th, it was solidified. Who's made a better double album? Nobody, still. Until someone does, we have nothing to talk about. Big is the best.

My favorite Biggie verse is probably from "Young G's," which I first heard on a mixtape after he passed. It was such amazing storytelling: "And to my hit-ho's, my murd3r mamis/I be smokin' trees in Belize when they find me/While you still k!llin' ni##as with punanny/Like Connie and Cyrus up in Cypress/#### you raw on the floor with the virus." Those are seamless raps, the way the couplets flow. Man, it's too much. No one's been that colorful since Big's de@th.

His personality was all confidence. This guy's 300-plus pounds with a ####ing lazy eye – and what woman did not love Biggie Smalls? You have to be damn near magical to do that. At the same time, I remember guys singing along when Big talked about being broke. Not a lot of rappers would tell you that they had to sew an alligator onto their shirt, wearing some fake ####, like he did on "Sky's the Limit." People related to that. Or the "One More Chance" remix: That record ended up being the quintessential club anthem – and in the middle of that, this guy called himself "black and ugly as ever." The arrogance and the honesty at the same time were unmatched.

I bump all of Big's music to this day. And I'll tell you what – I wrote all of [the Clipse's 2006 LP] Hell Hath No Fury trying to be Big. The whole thing, every line, every fluctuation in my voice, I was trying to sound like Big. On "Keys Open Doors," when I say, "Make your skin crawl/Press one button, let the wind fall/Who gon' stop us?/#### the coppers, the mind of a kilo shopper" – that's all Big.

When he died, it really bothered me, man. I never understood how somebody could be that disrespectful to a whole culture. I loved what Pac was doing too – it wasn't supposed to happen that way to either of them. It just really sucks. Can you imagine the bars that would have been in the imagination of this guy in 2015? It still hurts. I don't think I've ever gotten over it."
Damn this is a great summary by Push. It was always obvious to me that him Malice and Ab Liva were influenced by Big

H. Selassie

Black Royalty
Daps
Big was great. One of the best flows ever, one of the best rap voices ever, one of the best storytellers ever, one of the most charismatic emcees ever.

But I can't name him the GOAT because 1. Short catalougue 2. He didn't have enough depth

Too many rappers have been better than him with the catalogues to boost their cases (Nas, Jay, Scarface, Ghostface, etc.) . I'm not tryna punish him for dying but even Pac managed to be a more deep artists with a great catalougue for the few years he was in the game. Big's Top 10 but #1....NAW.

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I will never see what makes him better than Jay Z.

I didn't get offended til he and then Mannie Fresh started gushing over Biggies wordplay:scust:?What am I missing?he had other amazing emcee skills that you cant teach,but wordplay didn't really amaze me...I'd put him at maybe Young Jeezy level of wordplayslightly below,and that's not a insult:whoa:

I'll bite my tongue on the rest so not to turn this into yet another Bigge vs the Goat thread:pachaha:,

Roovers410

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Amsterdam
Big was great. One of the best flows ever, one of the best rap voices ever, one of the best storytellers ever, one of the most charismatic emcees ever.

But I can't name him the GOAT because 1. Short catalougue 2. He didn't have enough depth

Too many rappers have been better than him with the catalogues to boost their cases (Nas, Jay, Scarface, Ghostface, etc.) . I'm not tryna punish him for dying but even Pac managed to be a more deep artists with a great catalougue for the few years he was in the game. Big's Top 10 but #1....NAW.

Respect!!! But even if he is top 10 in your opinion. He's still a Legend. Kool G rap is a legend to me...

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY

He wrote for Lil kim from the female perspective bruh. That adds a layer to his talent that most of his peers couldn't do

Kevin Gates from 13:02 on:

Mr. Somebody

Friend Of A Friend
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
I understand the mentality of new york city friends friend. Many feel that there is new york, then the rest of the world friend so im not shocked that new yorkers and many theyve inspired to believe Biggie to be the best but as a fan whos been listening to hiphop since LL kool J's bad friend? i gotta say Kendricks career has already surpassed Biggies. Before GOod KId mad city. :manny:

It is what it is, friend.

I probably have a bias because demonic filth doesnt impress me as much as others.