PSA: Don't sell on eBay

Milk N Cookies

(Self-titled) Queen of the Film Room
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Movies and tv shows
They STAY sending me deals on selling things on there since I'm a frequent buyer. But when i first used eBay I used to buy books and never paid for them. Idk how but i did, sellers were pissed and left bogus reviews about me & wrote sellers beware on my account. I've changed my ways, my account is set up to make the payment immediately. I'm on a good path now.

Now off to lurk and see what I want to buy.

getmoney310cpt

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Compton CA/Rosecrans Ave
I never use ebay for selling and I strongly been advising people not to bother with that site for years...

You have ZERO protection as a seller...One of my boys sold a pair of Js on there a couple of years ago...The buyer claimed the pair my boy sent him was fake...The pair that was sent to him was 100% authentic but the pair this clown shipped back was 100% fake...He switched them and filed a bullshyt claim...

Ebays response :hubie:

SAME EXACT shyt HAPPENED TO ME WITH THE CHINA LEBRONS AND THE SOUTH BEACH LEBRONS BACK IN 2012!!!!! fukk EBAY

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Wrong. Got scammed with sig confirmation. They just do a sig confirmation on the box of rocks they send back and ebay still signs with them.
yeah its your word against theirs and eBay values the buyer more. eBay would rather be wrong and side with the buyer to protect all buyers than be right and side with the seller and piss of a buyer.

The Fukin Prophecy

RIP Champ
Daps
It's craiglist or nothing for me if I'm selling...

Like I said in another thread, unless you're a complete idiot, the type to agree to meet folk in back alleys and vacant parking lots late at night you have nothing to worry about...

I've done most of my flips in a parking lot across the street from my local police station...I'm 6'3 230 pounds of black excellence....Never had any issues aside for the usual clown that agrees to a price online and shows up trying to talk you down...:francis:

That spots 5 minutes from my house walking distance so I'm not wasting my time if I decide to walk away which I have done...

Had a fool take a 45 minute train ride from the BX to pull that shyt on me once...

Obviously if you're doing cash deals you also have to be familiar with paper...

Always ask for the new $100, it's very easy to spot fakes these days...

Somebody tryna pay you with a wad of old $20's probably got fakes mixed in...

num123

Speak like a child
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area/Chicago
Amazon is worse than eBay from what I've heard. Swappa has treated me good so far but outside of them I don't sell stuff online.

From Amazon : Amazon.com Help: A-to-z Guarantee FAQ
My buyer won't return the item they filed a claim for -- what do I do?
Buyers are expected to work with you to make return arrangements for merchandise before filing a claim. If the buyer has received an item that is materially different and have not received a response from you with return instructions, he or she may file an A-to-z Guarantee claim for the purchase. Once a buyer is reimbursed for an order via the A-to-z Guarantee, Amazon does not obligate that they return the item they received. However, you are welcome to contact them directly to arrange for a return of the item.

Doctor Doom

Rest in peace, Akira Toriyama
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Latveria
If you still using eBay and not Craigslist in 2017, you lost.

CL had me eating good in college. Bunch of rich kids who don't even know proper upkeep of a computer. They'd sell that shyt on Craigslist for 100 dollars or less. Simple virus scanning along with a defragment and reset, could flip it and stack money. :banderas:

Brand new MacBooks they were selling too :wtf:

x-factor7

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Damn, I just put up a bunch of stuff on eBay, and sold some stuff. No issues so far. But I do get messages from scammers that have no rating and ask questions like "I'll buy it from you and pay you more than what it is listed for".

I guess it doesn't help if your listings say "No returns accepted" since a buyer can file a claim and screw you.

On your phone, you can try an app called OfferUp. It's pretty much Craigslist on your phone. And you message through the app so you don't have to exchange numbers or anything like that.

B86

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Da Burgh
In over 13 years of selling, I've never had ONE problem. What are y'all doing to where sellers are pulling stunts on yall?

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
From Amazon : Amazon.com Help: A-to-z Guarantee FAQ
My buyer won't return the item they filed a claim for -- what do I do?
Buyers are expected to work with you to make return arrangements for merchandise before filing a claim. If the buyer has received an item that is materially different and have not received a response from you with return instructions, he or she may file an A-to-z Guarantee claim for the purchase. Once a buyer is reimbursed for an order via the A-to-z Guarantee, Amazon does not obligate that they return the item they received. However, you are welcome to contact them directly to arrange for a return of the item.
I also read that if a buyer files a claim for the A to Z return for any reason it leaves a black mark on your account regardless of you being at fault or not and if you get several of them Amazon will close your seller's account.

Amazon sounds like a nightmare. They get a refund and get to keep the item if they want? What kinda bs is that?

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
In over 13 years of selling, I've never had ONE problem. What are y'all doing to where sellers are pulling stunts on yall?
You got lucky. There's nothing you did that stopped any of that from happening. Whether or not this happens to you depends on the random odds of what buyer you get.

I've been an eBay member for 14 years with about 70 transactions and I've had 5 crap buyers try to pull scams on me. One guy bought a item from me I listed for local only shipping and claimed he had arranged shipping and he didn't. He had his brother drive from New York to Michigan to pick it up then when I asked him to split the final value fee on the shipping he told me go to hell and if I didn't refund his shipping in full he'd file a claim on me.

another guy bought a sound bar from me and claimed the remote didn't work when it did when I shipped it. I told him keep it and I'd give him a partial refund of $100 and he refused and filed a money back guarantee claim on me. I shipped it in two boxes and eBay game him a single label so he printed the same label twice and shipped both boxes back. eBay refunded him and tried to come after me for the money but I point out that I only got one box and they mishandled the shipping so they credited me back the money from the sell into PayPal. Turns out several days later I got the second package and he swapped his soundbar with mine. the sub I got in the main didn't work and the speakers on the soundbar I got were blown out and the remote didn't work. Wasn't what I sent him.

Another guy bought an Alienware Alpha from me and as soon as he got the shipping notification he contacted me and told he his kid was using a shared computer and ordered it and he wanted a refund because the kid bought it.

Yet another guy had the packaged delivered to his registered address and wasn't home. they left a note because I required a signature and he never signed for picking up the package. the package also never came back to me so somehow he manged to get it without signing for it because the post office never had any record of his signature.

the last one was my fault because it was when I was new and I shipped a game before the check cleared so the customer tried to cancel the check once they got the shipping notification. That was back in 03 and all I got was a PayPal / eBay email saying I had been paid so I shipped.

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
eBay has a money back guarantee for buyers. If the buyer says what you sent them isn't exactly what you said it was eBay will refund the buyer, force you to pay return shipping, and reverse your PayPal payment.

Notice I said "if the buyer says" which means they can lie. Also what the buyer actually sends you back is irrelevant. The process is mostly automated and whatever you tell eBay will be ignored. They will side with the buyer and you will refund them.

If the buyer is a decent person you might actually get back the item you sold them in functional condition and if they aren't you won't even get that back.
Cheap ass ebay should have had quality control systems in every state in america that check packages and verify orders before delivery.

Worth 27 billion. I think they have the resources.

ill_will82

What you see, is what you get
Daps
I thought about selling items on ebay but then I changed my mind after seeing how fukked up some sellers can be on ebay. I also learned from shopping on ebay that if you buy anything off there make sure it's small purchases (under $100). I think the most I've ever spent on ebay was $220 during a bid for a PS3 years ago. I didn't have any problems with the PS3 at all but you do have some buyers that run game on you though.

I know a few years after I bought that PS3 I copped a 360 slim for like $200+. When I got it, the shyt came in a cardboard box with bubble wrap all around the box (it didn't come with the og 360 box) [first warning sign]. Took it out the box the console was dusty as hell [second warning sign]. After cleaning it off and playing Hitman on it a few days the console stop reading discs [final warning sign]. I packed up all that shyt and pulled up the address it came from through a google search and the console came from a pawn shop in Florida. I was lucky to geth my money back but I had to send that shyt back through UPS and pay for shipping. I just waited until after Christmas went on Best Buy and got it cheaper.

That would be the last time I bought a system or paid that much money for anything off ebay.