PS5 to lack backwards compatibility

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
Again, how huge is this market of people still playing WWF Smackdown and Pap Rapper The Rapper?

Most of ya'll say ya'll can't stand to get up with switch discs.

The PS1 era is over.
Ummmm you know parappa the rappa is on the PSN store right?
Yall keep saying old games don’t matter yet Sony has either remastered them or put them up on their store for re-purchase

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Again, how huge is this market of people still playing WWF Smackdown and Pap Rapper The Rapper?

Most of ya'll say ya'll can't stand to get up with switch discs.

The PS1 era is over.

It's pretty huge

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Well...Sony is already playing their spin card on that...they keep saying that SOME PS4 games will be compatible. Truth is, regardless what Sony does you guys will applaud it and pretend it doesn’t matter. If it didn’t matter Sony wouldn’t bother putting on gen games on PSnow.
If it's not full ps4 BC, they deserve to get shyt on

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Ummm.... no it isn’t. Like another poster said, the PS4 didn’t play PS1-PS3 games yet it didn’t affect it sales so why would this be any different? If it wasn’t playing PS4 games then that would be a big deal but it is.
Not talking about system sales, I'm talking about the market for it.

There is a huge market for "retro" gaming and that's why it constantly sells on the market place.

On top of that the ability to play games you've paid for physically or digitally is there. So why not include it or at least give some kind of option for even if its a more expensive box

Daps
Not talking about system sales, I'm talking about the market for it.

There is a huge market for "retro" gaming and that's why it constantly sells on the market place.

On top of that the ability to play games you've paid for physically or digitally is there. So why not include it or at least give some kind of option for even if its a more expensive box
There’s a huge market for retro cassette tapes and CDs too. Maybe Apple and Sony should include cassette players in their phones and tablets.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
@Rekkapryde and @Fatboi1 told me that backwards compatibility is impossible due to the complex nature of the ps3 architecture but then admitted that PSnow streams those same games from a pc...so....yeah...Sony is whack for that and is only concerned with trying to recoup that hole in their pocket from their Gaikai purchase.

You can’t convince me to stop hating Sony for this crap. Why can I play Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 on Xbox but can’t on PS4? Stop sticking up for Sony greed. It’s 100% possible to be a fan of a console and hate some of the stuff the company behind it does. I have similar opinions about Apple.
The only thing that's impossible is making sense when the argument keeps getting changed around. By doing that you can infinitely say "Such and such said this and can't prove it."

I said it was impossible on the PS4, where did I say for PS5 it was?

PS Now is not emulating PS3 games, it's literally streaming the game from PS3 hardware.

I literally haven't said a thing about PS5 and PS1~3BC.

PS4 BC is already confirmed on PS5, where are you guys getting this info that it won't support games?

This was clarified like a day later after the March event.

UPDATE: A quick update on backward compatibility – With all of the amazing games in PS4’s catalog, we’ve devoted significant efforts to enable our fans to play their favorites on PS5. We believe that the overwhelming majority of the 4,000+ PS4 titles will be playable on PS5.

We’re expecting backward compatible titles will run at a boosted frequency on PS5 so that they can benefit from higher or more stable frame rates and potentially higher resolutions. We’re currently evaluating games on a title-by-title basis to spot any issues that need adjustment from the original software developers.

In his presentation, Mark Cerny provided a snapshot into the Top 100 most-played PS4 titles, demonstrating how well our backward compatibility efforts are going. We have already tested hundreds of titles and are preparing to test thousands more as we move toward launch. We will provide updates on backward compatibility, along with much more PS5 news, in the months ahead. Stay tuned!
Where does this imply that only some games will be playable on PS5? :jbhmm:

The "top 100" phrase you've been hearing was referring to games that would be running on the PS5 natively.

Same exact thing MSFT said.

Why won't MSFT just say "All games will work?"

You figure that one out.

Last edited:

JoelB

All Praise To TMH
Daps
Reppin
PHI 2 ATL
Aside from a few select classics, I dont play 15+ year old games like that. Let me play my ps4 titles I haven't completed and remaster the older titles with updated graphics, support, trophies, etc.

I dont understand the concept of spending $500+ on the latest system just to play Final Fantasy 10 all over again :dwillhuh: . We're paying premium $$, I better get a premium experience.

Demons-Souls-Remake-PS5-vs-Demons-Souls-PS3-they-compare-1024x576.jpg

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Main reason ANY digital purchases I make on a system are going to be on Xbox or pc

Sony has shown me that overall that they are willing to abandon older generations and turn around and sell you remaster and the ability to access older games for a price.
No the main reason you make digital purchases on Xbox is because you're a stan. :mjlol:

Can you play this on the Xbox One X right now?

51A5BRiyfTL._SY445_.jpg

Did NO remaster come out on the Xbox One?

Dudes were all hype for
gears-of-war-ultimate-edition-us-rp-xonejpg-791bee.jpg

but acting brand new at remasters.

You dudes see one gen where BC wasn't used and stretch it to mean no BC at all going forward when it's been confirmed PS5 will play PS4 games.

Last edited:

ItWasWritten

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Scriptures
This is one of those features that a lot of people complain about but nobody uses.

I don’t buy a new system to play old games, last generation and connectivity is needed sure ...

But other than that , I’m done with those old ass games.