proof hip hop is dead now

Daps
Everyone of those acts you chose could have been replaced with a thot rapper or trash rapper back in the day. There have always been the cream of the crop that existed in hip hop and then a gang of other crap surrounding. Kendrick and Cole exist, and while they may not be what people like they keep the coals smoldering. There are others in the current era that do the same, I just used to big known names.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
Was the best experiment ever. I laughed my ass off at the first trap dude that tried to follow the classics.

The wind sucked out of the room instantly and never came back.

For me the problem is: it's 100% negative shyt. The streets is rough, but what's life even worth of there's zero fun. No love. Only war.

Hip Hop was at its best when you had Kid N Play, PE, Latifah, Biz Markie, mad different types of styles and points of view.

Now it's ALL Lil Felony, Lil Pistol, Lil Scammer and Lil Shooter.

:pachaha: people were making all kinds of excuses for that dropoff in quality with Trap raps performance on The Grammys. The reactions don't lie: shytty music will not be treated kindly on the history books.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
I don't agree wit this. Although da culture is in the fukkin gutter right now...:martin:

There's still something "special" that will ONLY come out the streets, the trenches, the hood...whatever you wanna call it. That flower, that somehow manages to rise from the crevices of a concrete crack. It's somethin organic, and somethin (or someone), who could only come to fruition, out of that environment. Right now, we're seeing inorganic shyt thrust upon us, mostly from cacs at the top.:yeshrug:

We maybe in a drought right now, and the wrong shyt getting recognized. But we're wayyyyyyyy too talented as a ppl, not to produce another Jay-Z, Pop Smoke, Pac, 50, ETC. Who is talented enough, skilled enough, and charismatic enough to reinvigorate the sound, and influence music. I refuse to believe THAT across the US. And it only takes ONE, to have those cacs at these labels chasing the next one, which will have rap back in a favorable position.

The 50s, Chief Keefs, Pop Smokes, Wu-Tang Clans, etc came outta NOWHERE. That can still happen.

Read the room breh. There is a reason why labels went full-blown globalization on music and different genres, because the "streets" of America ran out of inspiration and already on life support financially. Why else did Country Music make a massive comeback with white people? When Latin music has Bad Bunny, currently one of the biggest solo artist in the world? When Afrobeats took over many black nightclubs? People are high-key fed up with the stagnation of Trap music, and the underachieving efforts that Drill has made after Pop Smoke died.

Gen Z thinks and behave differently. They cannot comprehend what innovation is, and only follow what others are doing. To innovate, you need TESTOSTERONE as well as CREATIVITY , something that Gen Z has virtually none of.

Cal Cutta

Balthazar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just like practically every other artform, good material is constantly being produced, and then ignored by a majority. If you are ready to make categorical dismissals based on what is presented to you on the surface (i.e. the “mainstream”), you owe it to yourself to put more work into exploring what’s not at the surface.

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
It’s hilarious hearing y’all nikkas say this because what do you think our parents and grandparents thought about the shyt we listened to in the 80s and 90s :heh:

I’m old enough to remember when hip hop wasn’t even considered music to the older generation, it was called noise.
They used to like some songs here and there but yea they didn’t even consider hip hop to be real music. They used to shyt on 90s RnB too. shyt that’s classic RnB to us. I specifically remember my pops saying shyt like:

That Keith Sweat can’t even sing :picard:

All that group Jodeci does is yell :picard:

This nikka R Kelly singing about bumping and grinding on the radio
:picard:

Mary J Blige singing over hip hop beats
:picard:

He was used to the O Jays and Earth Wind and Fire and the Isley Brothers. I’m sure he thought RnB was dead

Paper Boi

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
oh you mean all those samples j cole blew up off of? :mjlol:

and i don't really listen to ice spice so i couldn't accurately say. i listen to rap i actually enjoy and leave whatever else for whoever else enjoys it. another thing old heads can't seem to accomplish for the life of them :mjlol:

old.jpg
I’d rather be grandpa simpson than Steve Buscemi showing up to the school with a skateboard like you and crimsontider :yeshrug:

Lhark

Superstar
Daps
Why choose a random unreleased Ice Spice song to make your point?

LiveFromLondon

Superstar
Daps
Rap is in it last days of Rome phase

In its last days of Rome era with all the hedonism and opulence

I been said rap is in its last days of Rome phase but difference is this is a managed decline by the labels
Been told brehs and to make it worse one of the supposed saviors in J.cole has similar fart bars
Released Thursday

Thing is the real nikka has taken over so much that as good as this is its corny

⠀X ⠀

Geoff
Daps
They keep putting out goofy shyt and wonder why nobody buys it. I’m convinced that they’re putting this music out there to influence the youth, not to make a profit off of the actual music.