Professor Emeritus: "Kobe was never clearly the best in any season of his career"

Was Kobe ever clearly the best player in the league?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ben.

Heisenbrook
Daps
Reppin
Orlando, FL
How you the better player when you lost three years in a row from 2008-2010, had no jump shot, wasn’t considered the leader of the Olympics team y’all were both on and the guy you’re saying he was better than was winning rings. In 2010, people were wondering if Kobe get win Ring #6 and catch Jordan. Virtually no one back then was saying “well, I know Kobe just beat the Celtics and got ring #5. He’s still only the second or third best player in the league. LeBron is the real GOAT.” None of those sports casters covering the Finals were saying this. Y’all living in a fantasy world.
Ok then explain how Kobe had 06-08 in the same logic Bron should be better in '07 since he went further but that's not a good way to see who was better since it just shows who's team was better or who had better circumstances in the playoffs. I already addressed the back then talk of course no one then thought so like no one at the time among the peers were taking Giannis over Bron in '21

Ozymandeas

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Ok then explain how Kobe had 06-08 in the same logic Bron should be better in '07 since he went further but that's not a good way to see who was better since it just shows who's team was better or who had better circumstances in the playoffs. I already addressed the back then talk of course no one then thought so like no one at the time among the peers were taking Giannis over Bron in '21

I don’t have to explain something I lived through.

I remember.

Jokic has WAY MORE ACCOLADES now than LeBron had in that 2008-2010 period. That cac got 3 MVPs, a Championship and a Finals MVP. Yet people still struggled to say he was the best player until maybe 2023 (last year) when by your logic, we should’ve been calling him the absolute best player by 2021. Bron Stans definitely weren’t putting Jokic over Bron in 2021 :mjlol: Having good stats and MVP awards only matters when it’s LeBron. When it was Giannis or Jokic, the convo was :whoa: Bron still the GOAT. Yall only stopped arguing that in the last year once it was obvious Bron was washed. But if y’all followed your own logic, y’all would’ve considered Giannis better in 2019 and 2020 and Jokic better by 2021 :umad: if the world didn’t accept those guys were better than LeBron, what makes you think we thought any differently about LeBron 14 years ago when he was just starting to come into his prime while Kobe was still dominating?

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Bron Stans definitely weren’t putting Jokic over Bron in 2021 :mjlol: Having good stats and MVP awards only matters when it’s LeBron.

Jokic's 2021 was way better than Bron's 2021, wtf are you talking about? :why:

No Bron stan was saying that Bron had the best season in 2021. :mjlol:

But if y’all followed your own logic, y’all would’ve considered Giannis better in 2019 and 2020

Giannis WAS better than Bron in 2019 though, who the fukk has argued otherwise? :dead:

Bron has a very good argument for 2020 because Giannis only had a slightly better regular season while Bron had a far superior postseason. But even then it was a debatable year, Bron wasn't "clearly the best" (I argued in real time that Giannis deserved the MVP), and Bron only looking like the best in the end because he proved yet again that he could be trusted in the playoffs while Giannis was still a question mark.

Gotright

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
detroit

I remember.

Jokic has WAY MORE ACCOLADES now than LeBron had in that 2008-2010 period. That cac got 3 MVPs, a Championship and a Finals MVP. Yet people still struggled to say he was the best player until maybe 2023 (last year) when by your logic, we should’ve been calling him the absolute best player by 2021. Bron Stans definitely weren’t putting Jokic over Bron in 2021 :mjlol: Having good stats and MVP awards only matters when it’s LeBron. When it was Giannis or Jokic, the convo was :whoa: Bron still the GOAT. Yall only stopped arguing that in the last year once it was obvious Bron was washed. But if y’all followed your own logic, y’all would’ve considered Giannis better in 2019 and 2020 and Jokic better by 2021 :umad: if the world didn’t accept those guys were better than LeBron, what makes you think we thought any differently about LeBron 14 years ago when he was just starting to come into his prime while Kobe was still dominating?
This shyt got 3 daps lol. Who said Lebron was better those years. You just made that shyt up mental illness

Ben.

Heisenbrook
Daps
Reppin
Orlando, FL

I remember.

I mean if we going by the world then you have a point but some time the majorities view is flawed, last time Bron was the best player in the league was 2018 (especially clear cut) which give him 09-18 but from 19 on it was other people since Bron took a slight decline in that moment. By 21 it was clear he wasn't the best which is oddly similar to Kobe who took a slight decline in '09 and by '11 it was clear he wasn't the best anymore. The only thing really saving them those years was winning chips (Kobe '09 and '10, Bron '20).

Also this is why the guy winning chips = the best player isn't a good argument because then why is Kobe the best in '06-'08 and not people like Wade in '06 or Duncan in '07 since Kobe was getting bounced out the first round but still to ME I have Kobe as the best in '06-'08.

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
This shyt got 3 daps lol. Who said Lebron was better those years. You just made that shyt up mental illness
No one said that shyt.

Make up yall minds. Yall got mad when heads said “hes in his 18th year.” now it’s folks saying “they put him over Jokic.”

This isn’t genuine.

Folks are gonna dap what their bias tells them, not the truth

Last edited:

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
So when he was averaging 35 5 and 5 and 32 6 and 5 in back to back years he wasn’t general consensus best? 😭😭😭😭.

You guys are full of shyt. You act like we don’t have Google.
Was he the consensus best? Sure, but I think a problem is people are interpreting the OP's premise differently. I'm not reading it as, who was the consensus best?

Of course that was Kobe, for factors beyond his actual play. But that aint what tge question asked...

Donald Trump was the consensus president when he won in '16 but was he really the best candidate? The first part of that (consensus view) can be stated factually, the other part (was Kobe ever CLEARLY the best player) is entirely subjective and isnt asking for what the consensus view was...

My position in real time, didn't give much of a fukk, but I have acknowledged the consensus view way earlier in this thread. When I started really paying attention to ball again, I have standards I hold ALL great players to.....not just my favorites.

One of these standards being, if you're 26 years old, Y9, smack in the middle of your prime, and miss the playoffs leading a team to 34 wins, you're not the best basketball player alive. I just described 2005 Kobe...

If you're 27 years old, Y10, smack in the middle of your prime, and take a 3-1 lead on a team in the playoffs, and have 3 chances to win one more game, and fail to do so, you're not the best basketball player alive. I just described 2006 Kobe...

I dont care about the scoring blitzes. In a sport as singularly star influenced as the NBA, fundamentally I do not believe that the best player in basketball misses the playoffs in his prime or is incapable of closing a 3-1 series lead...

The best player in basketball can close a 3-1 lead and cannot miss the playoffs and only win 34 games...

Kobe was the consensus best player for a variety of factors aside from his actual play. He wasn't actually CLEARLY the best player in any year----->but especially not this '06 year people keep arguing for...
You just proved with that sentence that your image of Kobe in 2010 was based on his legacy, team success, and career accomplishments to that point, not on whether he was actually the best player in the game that particular season.
This is the general argument for Kobe, this, plus the regular season scoring runs. Because compared to other GOATs he doesn't have a great Finals resume or great postseason resume if people are talking about his actual play, rather than the results of his team...

It's always been more image and aesthetics with Kobe heads...

Sccit

LA'S MOST BLUNTED
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LOS818ANGELES
Was he the consensus best? Sure, but I think a problem is people are interpreting the OP's premise differently. I'm not reading it as, who was the consensus best?

Of course that was Kobe, for factors beyond his actual play. But that aint what tge question asked...

Donald Trump was the consensus president when he won in '16 but was he really the best candidate? The first part of that (consensus view) can be stated factually, the other part (was Kobe ever CLEARLY the best player) is entirely subjective and isnt asking for what the consensus view was...

My position in real time, didn't give much of a fukk, but I have acknowledged the consensus view way earlier in this thread. When I started really paying attention to ball again, I have standards I hold ALL great players to.....not just my favorites.

One of these standards being, if you're 26 years old, Y9, smack in the middle of your prime, and miss the playoffs leading a team to 34 wins, you're not the best basketball player alive. I just described 2005 Kobe...

If you're 27 years old, Y10, smack in the middle of your prime, and take a 3-1 lead on a team in the playoffs, and have 3 chances to win one more game, and fail to do so, you're not the best basketball player alive. I just described 2006 Kobe...

I dont care about the scoring blitzes. In a sport as singularly star influenced as the NBA, fundamentally I do not believe that the best player in basketball misses the playoffs in his prime or is incapable of closing a 3-1 series lead...

The best player in basketball can close a 3-1 lead and cannot miss the playoffs and only win 34 games...

Kobe was the consensus best player for a variety of factors aside from his actual play. He wasn't actually CLEARLY the best player in any year----->but especially not this '06 year people keep arguing for...

This is the general argument for Kobe, this, plus the regular season scoring runs. Because compared to other GOATs he doesn't have a great Finals resume or great postseason resume if people are talking about his actual play, rather than the results of his team...

02Jkke.gif

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
You’re doing a lot of work here to distinguish between general consensus best and what he is calling “clearly the best.” The dude is a Kobe hater and LeBron glazer plain and simple. He writes all these paragraphs and thinks he’s made a point because no one wants to waste their time responding to him because we reject the entire premise of his arguments. Certain things are so widely accepted that no one wants to waste their time rehashing it.

Like even when winning MVP Steph Curry was not the general consensus best player in the league so that’s a more entertaining argument. I’m not here to argue MJ in 92, LeBron in 2012, Shaq in 2000 or shyt like that.

Joe Sixpack

Build and Destroy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rotten Apple
And KD as well

These Coli dudes are some Figure Skating ass nikkas

"Bu Bu Bu Kobe looked better":damn:

"Bu Bu Bu KD jumpshot looks sweeter :mjlol:

Figure Skating Tonya Harding ass nikkas in here :hhh:

Edit: That Figure skating shyt goes for mostly all of NBA fans not just the Coli

Mad people be on that aesthetic shyt when it comes to basketball

Last edited: