Professor Emeritus: "Kobe was never clearly the best in any season of his career"

Was Kobe ever clearly the best player in the league?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
You're a washed old head from Brooklyn that hates MJ, passive aggressively hates Kobe and sucks Bron's dikk.
Great. So you’re not denying that that you’re a c00n who cosigns an anti-black racist . Shouldnt that be your first line of business as a black man? fukk this Kobe shyt.

And unlike you, I was in ACTUAL MEDIA defending Kobe when I wrote this strip and publishing it to 200k readers in 2009 the DAY after he won that ship without bytch ass Shaq.

Page-1.jpg

What were YOU doing at the time? Posting on the coli.

:camby:

I’m glad you’re not defending yourself from that FACT I laid out. You don’t know shyt about me. :mjlol: but we both know who You are a c00n on the coli who co-signs racists like @Sccit because you hate Bron.

The fukk I look like posting with @2Quik4UHoes and all yall “LaKeRs fAnS” giving a racist a pass to talk Lakers? :childplease:

I will never let someone spit on my blackness to hate on another person we both don’t like.

You made that concession.

You allowed a racist to live and an ally because you both hate Lebron and worship Kobe.

And here you are, a black man with open your arms to a racist because you’re a soft toe c00n.

Not even denying it. enjoy the rest of your blackface Sunday with your Uncle Tom ass.

Last edited:

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
YOU POST LIKE SOMEONE WHO WASNT
WATCHING BALL DURING THIS TIME.

AT NO POINT IN THEIR PRIMES
WAS DIRK EVER SEEN AS A BETTER PLAYER
THAN KOBE BRYANT.

THE SPURS BIG 3 WERE ALL IN THEIR PRIMES
AT THAT POINT SO DUNCAN WASN'T
CARRYING shyt ANYMORE.

ANYBODY MENTIONING 3RD YR LEBRON
DEFINITELY SHOULDN'T BE IN THIS THREAD.
:devil:
:evil:

I definitely didn't say Dirk was better than Kobe, try again. I also didn't say '06 Duncan was doing the carry job he had earlier...

The premise of this thread is Kobe was CLEARLY the best player; there was never any year he CLEARLY was. Were you just watching Kobe or were you watching the NBA? Because I remember the general sentiment of the time..

I think Kobe overall is overrated but it’s some terrible fukking posts in here

1. Dirk being better than Kobe was never a serious conversation during that period ,and to say that people only preferred Kobe to Dirk because of PPG is a joke because Dirk wasn’t seeing Kobe on the defensive end or as playmaker and Kobe HATED to pass ..That’s just a goofy argument to make .

2.Tim all time ranks higher than Kobe in my opinion but 2005-7 was around Tim started to slip a little he wasn’t 2000 Tim but he was still great …The narrative around the spurs was they were an all time great team with an all time great coach .

3.”Kobe can’t be seen as the best player in the league after losing a 3-1 lead “

:gucci:

The player some of you guys are trying to prop up …Dirk… was swept by a 8th seed

The best player in league a few years later (Bron) flat out choked in the NBA finals over several games…and he was standing next to a top 10 player

Kareem was seen as the best player in the league by old heads and that nikka was out here straight up not making the playoffs

This narrative/agenda shyt some of yall got going on makes posting on the coli ass
My boy you aren't making sense...

No one in here is saying Dirk was better than Kobe but that gap in the mid-00s between Kobe and Dirk was not large, you can fool the younger posters who weren't around to watch but some of us remember...

In one breath you call out Dirk getting beat by an 8 seed, while omitting his Finals runs, 60 win squads and innovation of the PF position, omitting his playoff scoring bursts and 50-pieces, and in the next breath.......a guy who can miss the playoffs at 26 years old and blow a 3-1 lead in the playoffs at 27 is "clearly" the best player in the world 🤣 🤣

You nikkas don't really believe he was great as yall say because the sliding standards and bar of accountability contradict your words...

Red Money

All Star
Daps

YOU POST LIKE SOMEONE WHO WASNT
WATCHING BALL DURING THIS TIME.

AT NO POINT IN THEIR PRIMES
WAS DIRK EVER SEEN AS A BETTER PLAYER
THAN KOBE BRYANT.

THE SPURS BIG 3 WERE ALL IN THEIR PRIMES
AT THAT POINT SO DUNCAN WASN'T
CARRYING shyt ANYMORE.

ANYBODY MENTIONING 3RD YR LEBRON
DEFINITELY SHOULDN'T BE IN THIS THREAD.
:devil:
:evil:

It's damn near a copied and pasted Nick Wright take from murks, lol.

NYC Rebel

Daps
I think Kobe overall is overrated but it’s some terrible fukking posts in here

1. Dirk being better than Kobe was never a serious conversation during that period ,and to say that people only preferred Kobe to Dirk because of PPG is a joke because Dirk wasn’t seeing Kobe on the defensive end or as playmaker and Kobe HATED to pass ..That’s just a goofy argument to make .

2.Tim all time ranks higher than Kobe in my opinion but 2005-7 was around Tim started to slip a little he wasn’t 2000 Tim but he was still great …The narrative around the spurs was they were an all time great team with an all time great coach .

3.”Kobe can’t be seen as the best player in the league after losing a 3-1 lead “

:gucci:

The player some of you guys are trying to prop up …Dirk… was swept by a 8th seed

The best player in league a few years later (Bron) flat out choked in the NBA finals over several games…and he was standing next to a top 10 player

Kareem was seen as the best player in the league by old heads and that nikka was out here straight up not making the playoffs

This narrative/agenda shyt some of yall got going on makes posting on the coli ass
This is all true.

And Euros never get judged for their lack of defenses.

And it was Charles Barkley who first accused Kobe of tanking that last game vs the Suns and people ran with it

GreatestLaker

#FirePelinka
Bushed
Daps
We really got clowns using the Lakers losing to the Suns in 2006 as a reason why Kobe can't be the best that year?

How stupid can we be? The Suns were a vastly superior team. Once they made the necessary adjustments and Kwame went back to playing like shyt it was over for the Lakeshow. With all that said the Lakers still had a chance to win in game 6 if Lamar had just rebounded the ball. Kobe did everything he could in game 6. Dude dropped 50 and they still lost because his teammates weren't as good. Kobe dominated the first half in game 7. People love to ignore that. He had 23 at half and the Lakers were still getting blown out.

The Lakers were the 7th seed and the Suns were the 2nd seed. The Suns were the better team point blank period.

NYC Rebel

Daps
Can we chill on all the personal attacks this ain't that serious :russ:
I don’t get personal dog. I can’t even tell you where dude is from, where he lives, how old he is. These clowns do too much when showing on the Coli that they have no standards as a black man.

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
We really got clowns using the Lakers losing to the Suns in 2006 as a reason why Kobe can't be the best that year?

How stupid can we be? The Suns were a vastly superior team. Once they made the necessary adjustments and Kwame went back to playing like shyt it was over for the Lakeshow. With all that said the Lakers still had a chance to win in game 6 if Lamar had just rebounded the ball. Kobe did everything he could in game 6. Dude dropped 50 and they still lost because his teammates weren't as good. Kobe dominated the first half in game 7. People love to ignore that. He had 23 at half and the Lakers were still getting blown out.

The Lakers were the 7th seed and the Suns were the 2nd seed. The Suns were the better team point blank period.
The context here is funny, but we ignore the 50-pieces from Dirk...

The problem here is no one has said Dirk was better than Kobe, it's the revisionist history to pretend Dirk at that stage of his career wasn't in the conversation...

It's not that he lost to the Suns, fam. He had 3 games to win one game to advance to Rd2. the best player in basketball can't win one of the next 3 games?

The standards of accountability you nikkas holding Duncan, Dirk, LeBron to are not the same standards you holding Kobe to...

No, a guy who misses the playoffs in the middle of his prime at 26, and loses a 3-1 series lead the next year at 27, is not the best player in basketball when another guy is in the midst of a 3 championships in 5 years run, and another guy is leading perennial 60 win teams, going to The Finals, and dominating The League as well...

One of the best, arguably the best, sure. But I'm obviously one of the few nikkas who can be consistent to the standard I hold these guys to...

FukkaPaidEmail

Retired Hoodrat whisperer
Daps
Reppin
The Diaspora
I definitely didn't say Dirk was better than Kobe, try again. I also didn't say '06 Duncan was doing the carry job he had earlier...

The premise of this thread is Kobe was CLEARLY the best player; there was never any year he CLEARLY was. Were you just watching Kobe or were you watching the NBA? Because I remember the general sentiment of the time..

My boy you aren't making sense...

No one in here is saying Dirk was better than Kobe but that gap in the mid-00s between Kobe and Dirk was not large, you can fool the younger posters who weren't around to watch but some of us remember...

In one breath you call out Dirk getting beat by an 8 seed, while omitting his Finals runs, 60 win squads and innovation of the PF position, omitting his playoff scoring bursts and 50-pieces, and in the next breath.......a guy who can miss the playoffs at 26 years old and blow a 3-1 lead in the playoffs at 27 is "clearly" the best player in the world 🤣 🤣

You nikkas don't really believe he was great as yall say because the sliding standards and bar of accountability contradict your words...
if Kobe and Dirk were equals offensively and Kobe was LEVELS above Dirk defensively how the hell was the gap not big ? This is nothing about fooling younger posters . If anything that’s you trying to act like there was some debate between Kobe and Dirk where there wasn’t . in ‘06 you would get laughed at for saying some shyt like that. That was not the general sentiment . At least Nash had the MVP,Tim had the two way impact ,,,,fukking Dirk. If that’s the case KD was in “the Conversation “ with Lebron for years…are we gonna act like that means anything?

Steph changed the entire leagues playing style ,There are baby Durants everywhere and every 6’8 lanky nikka with long arms worships Paul George,we see what Jokic is doing at the Center position but nikkas will kick and scream that this is still Lebrons era . Dirk innovating a position doesn’t mean he was better than Kobe . If that’s the case we need to have conversations about the current era .

Was Kareem not the best player in the mid 70s when he was missing the playoffs?

Was Lebron not the best player on earth standing next to two top 5-15 nikkas and flat out choked away a finals ?

I don’t have Kobe ranked top 10 All Time like the nikkas you must be used to posting against…I’m just not gonna sit here and be some on some fantasy land bullshyt about Dirk and other nikkas around that time when it’s clear it’s some agenda play

Last edited:

UpNext

Superstar
Daps
06,07,08 Kobe had it. Once LeBron developed into a DPOTY type player it was over. LeBron killed any Gen X claims at being at the top.

People are really buying into the Nash and Dirk propaganda. The only player in the 00's you could say was consistently better than Kobe was Duncan, period.

That is the discussion, Kobe or Duncan. Nash and Dirk can go argue third place with KG. Until LeBron developed consistency to his defensive dominance the discussion was Kobe or Duncan.

Kobe was 100% without question better than Duncan in 08. Kobe was better than Duncan in 06. And it was debatable in 07, I give that to Kobe.

Last edited:

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
if Kobe and Dirk were equals offensively and Kobe was LEVELS above Dirk defensively how the hell was the gap not big ? This is nothing about fooling younger posters . If anything that’s you trying to act like there was some debate between Kobe and Dirk where there wasn’t . in ‘06 you would get laughed at for saying some shyt like that. That was not the general sentiment . At least Nash had the MVP,Tim had the two way impact ,,,,fukking Dirk. If that’s the case KD was in “the Conversation “ with Lebron for years…are we gonna act like that means anything?

Steph changed the entire leagues playing style ,There are baby Durants everywhere and every 6’8 lanky nikka with long arms worships Paul George,we see what Jokic is doing at the Center position but nikkas will kick and scream that this is still Lebrons era . Dirk innovating a position doesn’t mean he was better than Kobe . If that’s the case we need to have conversations about the current era .

Was Kareem not the best player in the mid 70s when he was missing the playoffs?

Was Lebron not the best player on earth standing next to two top 5-15 nikkas and flat out choked away a finals ?

I don’t have Kobe ranked top 10 All Time like the nikkas you must be used to posting against…I’m just not gonna sit here and be some on some fantasy land bullshyt about Dirk and other nikkas around that time when it’s clear it’s some agenda play
I don't have an agenda, so either we can speak without you throwing a tantrum or we can just keep it moving...

Dirk's early career he was a unicorn and seen as innovative, but was also seen as finesse and soft when playing his peers at his position. The jokes in the first part of his prime was that he was a Soft Euro. This was in spite of him elevating one of the worst franchises in NBA history to respectability...

In the mid-00s he leveled up and everyone around The League noticed. Maybe you didn't but me and my friends did, NBA Media did. He never had the marketability of Kobe so he didn't get talked about the same way as Kobe, who was a revered figure. But people noticed when he rose from just another great player, to one of the best players in the NBA...

I've been very clear that I never thought that Dirk was THE best player in basketball, bit he was absolutely playing at that level and in that conversation for 3-4 years. I don't think he was better than Kobe, and I'm aware that almost no one in real time thought he was better than Kobe...

But I, and many others, noticed what he was doing in this same stretch of time. The thread title asks if Kobe was ever "clearly" the best player in basketball. It was never clear with Kobe, and when Dirk was dropping 50-balls, dominating playoff runs and leading a team to The Finals, the gap between he and Kobe was close...

Ultimately what happens with the passage of time is remembrance changes and people forget the details. Kobe was both America's favorite basketball player and public enemy #1 at the same time. He was the most polarizing player in the sport. He certainly had a claim as being the NBA's best player during that time, maybe even the strongest claim than his competitors...

Was it "clear"? No it wasnt, not during, before, or after the period of time we're talking about...

Just because you nikkas minimize Duncan and dont acknowledge Dirk doesn't mean I did or that I have to, so you can save your insults. They don't mean anything to me...

Kareem's run of dominance as the best player in basketball came mostly in the pre-merger NBA and there are people (my dad for one, who is 59), who will tell you Julius Erving was the best basketball player alive, he just wasn't in the NBA yet, and that he was that when he hit the NBA. Moses hit the NBA and it's documented how he used to bully Kareem in their h2h's. So for guys who actually saw that period, unless you're excluding ABA, it wasn't so clear cut Kareem, either...

The reality is that it's very rarely one guy with no competition for that title. Kobe always had guys in close range for that title, even if the lean is he was the best player in basketball...

I think he was the best player in the late 00s, but I've already said that numerous times. I do not think he was the best player in basketball missing the playoffs in his prime and blowing a 3-1 series lead, I do not believe ANYBODY is THE best player in the world, and is capable of those things in a sport as singularly focused as basketball. I'd hold anyone to this standard, but Kobe is the guy who did these things so he's who I'm talking about...

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
06-08 but I don't think it was definitively clear.
Because it wasn't. These nikkas will say anything when invoking Kobe's name and just because we calling out that it wasn't definitive, nikkas in here acting like chicks...

Nobody thinks Kobe wasn't arguably the best player in the world. Everyone agrees on that. The thread premise is when was it definitive. It never was...

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
The year he finished 4th in MVP voting and got eliminated in the first round? :comeon:

PPG-obsessed casuals literally look at one thing in the box score and ignore every other aspect of the game.
Eh, even Kobe haters like Bill Simmons thought Nash over Kobe or even LeBron or Wade in 06 was egregious. That was as much "political" as it was about Steve Nashs carry job with Amare. Media still hated Kobe and Steve Nash was the great white hope saving Basketball from the thug era.

Paper Boi

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
"clearly the best" is a standard that isn't quantifiable

kobe's best years were 05-10 and i would say he was the best from 06-08. :manny: