Pretentious Swag Rap Is The Worst Sub Genre Since Snap Music

Rominati

Legendary Poster
Daps
So in order to dress different in hip hop you need to rap about spaceships, overthrowing the Guatemalan government, and defeating the illuminati huh? :ohhh: :skip:

Shiiiit, thanks for informing us with this knowledge in this thread, gatekeepers of hip hop and r&b :whew:

Long Live The Kane

Tyrant Titan
Daps
Let me be clear, I feel the music is mediocre at best....And some of it is straight trash...Bland, generic and predictable...

I'm sorry but I thought that was inferred..

Yeah I definitely picked up that weren't a big fan of the music...but that it's the absolute worst music to have been released in all of hip hop in the last 6 or 7 years? The heavy focus on the pics of how people dressed and all that suggests that image seemed to take precendent over the actual merits of the music here (no particular songs were posted or mentioned...just pics)...Kanye, 2Chainz, Wiz, Pusha T and ASAP etc. (though they aren't even musically a sub-genre at all, actually examples of at least 3 seperate actual sub-genres... but are just lumped together because individually, their images are too flamboyant for your tastes) are truly the absolute worse thing in hip hop musically over the better part of the decade? fukking Problem, Power and No Lie are just as bad as Laffy Taffy?

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Yall dont understand is it is a generational thing and it will ALWAYS be a generational thing

And you old bitter nikkaz no longer belong...BYE Bye this is no longer for yall

This is why u see nikkaz like Nas already sucking up to the newer artists in the game cuz he knows thats what needs to be done and he doesnt see things the way u smart dumb nikkaz who feel like yall have a proper platform to be commentating on anything see things.

I said it once and I'll say it again

Old nikkaz in this thread just being
U have biases towards the artists u grew up on and hold double standards when it comes to them and this generation's artists but u try to mask it by connecting it to the music which u cant even percieve properly without your :flabbynsick: biases blinding you from the virtues and creativity of their music and downplaying it.

It is a generational thing..:flabbynsick:ness dont belong in Hip Hop

Bye Bye :umad:

My generation wuz taught nikkas who wear dresses are probaly f*ggots,y'all generation wuz taught "ooooh oooh how can I look like a f*ggot too:krs:"....damn right its a generational thing....and Ghostface,Camron wuz flamboyant,3K,Goodie Mob while sumtimes they looked like f*ggots u realize as u get older it stems from them having a FUNK influence which you hear in they music....so u understood why they dressed like that sumtimes.

look I understand the fashion is a generational thing but be honest,a lot of these nikkas dress like this simply becuz they got a stylist handed to em when they signed a deal,u dress like that cuz a stylist told u too and that's the high fashion thing to do,u wanna be a fashion icon all of a sudden when before u wuz wearin t-shirts from the gas station,shoes from footlocker and chains worth thousands.....the annoying part comes in with me when these nikkas try use they "ahead of the curve:wtb:" fashion as sum sort of proof that they are foward thinking artist once they are called out for they pop sounding,emo azz,techno bullshyt music:laff:....:childplease: nikka the label got u dressing like that and them weird azz songs u makin might be they idea too,or it might be all you trying to "expand your fanbase",but don't try to throw your fashion choices up in our face as if that makes u sum proggresive azz,foward thinking artist who wants to express theyself artistically....ya outfit choices ain't proof of shyt as ya "artistry"....nikka u rappin over trap beats,david guetta beats,tryna appeal to hipsters cuz that's the thing to do right now,cut the "ima a artist cuz I dress funny:mjpls:" bullshyt out....tryna use ya outfits as a defense for makin sellout music:childplease:

shyts annoying,personally I don't rock with em cuz they music corny and wanna be european ie souless shyt....the outfits pretty much tell me what kinda shyt u gon be on before I even hear ya music.

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Hip-Hop is a "lifestyle" now. Theres still so much good music available that I wont complain and reminisce about the good ol days too much, but there has been a continuous paradigm shift since the late 90s and now it is perfectly normal to have cartoonishly clothed and tatted rappers saying NOTHING. In fact, there is a demand for it. Same content, different look. Same shyt, different toilet.

Like I said, the good music is still out there and its actually easier to find than ever, but the fact that there is a fukking market for EVERYTHING now, compromised the quality. Hip-Hop aint special either, finding substance in all mainstream media is a rarity....that includes film, television, all genres of music, videogames etc

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
My Pops Forever RIP
OP let me know if you disagree. The underlying theme of this thread is that if you see a guy going out his way to dress different and push the envelope, you would expect his content to be different as well. If I see a nikka walking down the street dressed like Boy George then I would expect that muthafukka to talk different than my local drug dealer. I would also expect him to be more introspective than the average person because if they're that secure with themselves then they shouldn't feel the need to have the same materialistic demons as the average person.

So in other words you feel catfished by hip-hop then.

A great example of my point is PM Dawn. If you saw them approach a stage for the 1st time and never heard their music you wouldn't expect them to have the same content in their music as the 2 Live Crew right?

And you should never judge a book by its cover. That's why I said what I said about Rick James. If you saw Rick James dressed like that in the streets you would have thought he wanted to jump your bones. In reality he was banging bytches and doing blow all day. If everyone dressed the same, or in relation to hip-hop dressed according to what they rapped about, originality would cease to exist, but I bet there wouldn't be many hip-hop fans bothered by that.

blackslash

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
U old nikkaz have some very convoluted thought processes when it comes to this generation

I mean I like to just keep it simple and say ur just :flabbynsick: bitter ol nikkaz but I guess nikkaz dnt wanna keep it simple nowdays :yeshrug:

G.O.A.T Squad Spokesman

Logic Is Absent Wherever Hate Is Present
Daps
You nikkas is gonna have to explain your wardrobe to your kids 1 day. Saying you dressed homo because it was the style ain't gon cut it. You Gangstalicious swag/faq boys gon have some splaining to do.

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
I digg what your saying bruh, oddly enough I do respect ya opinion on these new up n commers n shyt.

Now my argument for this thread in particular is. That cats is saying people like Wiz n ASAP make wack generic music. Which is not true AT ALL. For this new generation of cats, those two particular artists are ironically enuff the few who actually do have their own sound and style. At certain points in each of their careers they were making next level music which did not sound like ANYBODY at the time.

Ya cant tell me Peso' is wack or not original

ASAP Rocky "Peso" - YouTube

or that Wiz was not original when he was making shyt like this

Mezmorized - Wiz Khalifa (Official Music Video) With Lyrics - YouTube

First song is a clear Drake biting

Second song is alright but not really "unique"

And in any case, you are talking about 1 song out of hundreds. Overall these dudes don't have very unique sounds or strong skillsets. You yourself brag about running in the same circles as ASAP so I think you might be biased towards him (which is not bad but lets call a spade a spade). I think you just called Wiz a Bigga lite :pachaha: At the minimum you know how much Bigga... *ahem*... "influenced" his sound. So naw these dudes are not original

All the dudes I named besides Keef have original sounds. Every song, good or bad, they go left and they do them. All these dudes who are hot in the game are just trend hoppers. And all their fans are trend followers who feel uncomfortable with shyt that doesn't follow protocol. The game is stangant bruh that is why I don't fukk with a lot of shyt.

Even back in the NYC mixtape days, yea shyt was derivative, but at least dudes were spitting. And back in the 90s dudes were spitting AND being original. Now people are doing neither

G.O.A.T Squad Spokesman

Logic Is Absent Wherever Hate Is Present
Daps
So in other words you feel catfished by hip-hop then.

And you should never judge a book by its cover. That's why I said what I said about Rick James. If you saw Rick James dressed like that in the streets you would have thought he wanted to jump your bones. In reality he was banging bytches and doing blow all day. If everyone dressed the same, or in relation to hip-hop dressed according to what they rapped about, originality would cease to exist, but I bet there wouldn't be many hip-hop fans bothered by that.
Rick James dressed like that because he didn't know any better. Androgyny was just being created and he helped start the trend along with Boy George and Prince. That was in the late 70's and early 80's. They didn't know the error of their ways. Plenty of real nikkas probably dressed like that in that time frame. Watch some vintage soul train and you'd probably see Tookie Williams type nikkas dressing like that. They get a pass because black masulinity wasn't celebrated at the time. But to do this shyt post gangsta rap era is beyond comprehension.

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
U old nikkaz have some very convoluted thought processes when it comes to this generation

I mean I like to just keep it simple and say ur just :flabbynsick: bitter ol nikkaz but I guess nikkaz dnt wanna keep it simple nowdays :yeshrug:
If thats what you think, then why even bother ask for an explanation... have your opinion and keep it moving... we are having a discussion here :yeshrug:

Kenny West

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Rick James dressed like that because he didn't know any better. Androgyny was just being created and he helped start the trend along with Boy George and Prince. That was in the late 70's and early 80's. They didn't know the error of their ways. Plenty of real nikkas probably dressed like that in that time frame. Watch some vintage soul train and you'd probably see Tookie Williams type nikkas dressing like that. They get a pass because black masulinity wasn't celebrated at the time. But to do this shyt post gangsta rap era is beyond comprehension.
:comeon:
Copping pleas.

:laff::laff: @ this thread.

:old: nikkas yall got it.

eXodus

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
When nikkas seen Andre 3K in that weird shyt they accepted it because the nikka was introspective. He refused to rap on "Popping Tags" because he didn't see the purpose of doing a song about simplistic materialism. He's accepted because his content is outside of the box. When he dressed like the average street nikka his content matched that.
never knew that!
I'm saying tho in this new era of the internet do u think if a artist like Kendrick did that long tank shyt or some other out the box shyt, would it be permissible in this day in age??

Vilified not verified

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
drake-2-chainz-bet-hip-hop-awards-nominations-the-jasmine-brand.jpg

:why:

I can only hope that Drake got that tan naturally